Robin Hood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Robin Hood Reviews

½ December 19, 2016
The one all other versions try to imitate, and come up short against.
February 4, 2016
Really enjoyable!!!!
½ October 1, 2015
While working on Ken Ludwig's new comedy A Comedy of Tenors, which takes place in Paris in the late 1930s, I became curious to see this version of the Medieval legend since one of the characters mentions multiple times that he wants to be like Douglas Fairbanks in Robin Hood. It appears that there are several cuts of various lengths. The DVD I borrowed was an hour and fifty minutes. I think that over half of that run time was exposition. Having seen two other Fairbanks silent action flicks I expected more to happen and more appearances by the title character. Instead, Fairbanks as a rich Earl proves himself to King Richard in a joust. The Earl is nearly as chaste as Maid Marian but then they begin to fall in love. In a nice visual she outlines his silhouette to remember him. The Earl earns the scorn of Gisbourne and Prince John (the splendidly evil Sam De Grasse). Then we follow the King and his knights as they leave for the Crusades. Wallace Beery is very good as King Richard, but I'm not familiar with any other version of the story that spends so much time with the King. Prince John abuses the people and sets in motion a plan to kill the Earl and the King before they return. After more complications, the Earl and his loyal servant Little John (Alan Hale, who would play the same role 16 years later opposite Errol Flynn) finally return to right wrongs and recruit merry men in Sherwood Forrest. You can tell they are merry because they skip and leap everywhere with sweeping gestures. With so much exposition this Robin Hood becomes less about his catch phrase "I steal from the rich and give to the poor." Instead, this rebel character symbolizes the soldier who realizes there are more pressing problems to address at home rather than wiping out infidels in far off countries. Douglas Fairbanks under a pen name is given story credit here as well. There are only a couple well choreographed chases and fights, including Robin bringing swift justice to the vile Gisbourne, that bring some much needed excitement to the final quarter of the film. The outdoor shots and the amazing castle set support a capable cast in this silent with a lot of "talking" through title cards, but as I said before it needed more action and more Robin Hood.
ElCochran90
½ December 26, 2012
Errol Flynn actually achieved something spectacular because Fairbanks's radiating enthusiasm as the legendary and anti-heroic figure has become one of the immortal character incarnations of cinema. Although the remake by Curtiz is an example of the extraordinary occasions in which I may not opt for the original (let's call this "original"), Dwan's take on the classic tale is a true feast for the adventurous senses!

96/100
½ July 27, 2012
A bit heavy on the melodrama, but the spectacle and special effects stand up to any modern version.
August 18, 2011
I think this was my first Fairbanks flick. Loved him once he became Robin Hood (wasn't sure at first!). I liked the overall story of this adaptation better than most if not all of the others I've seen; it worked for old Hollywood, and it worked for me. I thought it was visually creative and actually impressive. I particularly liked the scene where Marian traces his silhouette, and how he recalls the ghost of her when he sees it much later.
July 7, 2011
According to RT this is not Doug's best film. Well it is the only Douglas Fairbanks film I think I've seen and it is awe-inspiring.

The story is what you would expect but better told than any other Robin Hood I've seen. Everything comes together and works so well. For a 90 year old film it zips along with great editing and timing, beautiful photography (wish I could find a better copy) some amazing action and acting.

Let's get to Fairbanks, he is Robin Hood. He leaps and bounds and skips and is more alive than any other version I've seen and it fits with the character. His smile and charm and sillyness shines through, but Robin has strength and confidence and when he's told bad news like Sherwood forest is surrounded by soldiers, he smiles and says perfect, lets kick butt.

It was the Roaring 20's and this is a Rip Roaring hell of a good time. You would not think this was a new art form watching this film, the skill and talent of all involved shine through. And the violent scenes are quite violent, the last fight scene with Robin and Gisbourne, well I loved it. And another scene where Robin kills a guy and throws his body from the castle wall, and he does it with this slight smile, satisfied with a job well done.

I will be watching this again, as well as the Errol Flyn version and more Fairbanks films. Douglas Fairbanks just simply owned this film. :D
June 17, 2011
The first half is pretty boring, the second half is pretty gay (in the original sense of the word of course)
I was surprised by the violence and some of the stunts.
December 14, 2010
The best Robin Hood movie I've ever seen! Fairbanks is perfect for the role, and I'm glad he played it. He wrote it too, which is cool, I loved how we got to see how he became Robin Hood and what was going on in medieval times. The sets, costumes, and everything was really spectacular. I loved this movie.
½ September 15, 2010
Tons of fun, nobody's better at this than Doug Fairbanks, the Jackie Chan of his day.
June 25, 2010
Le plus célèbre des films avec Douglas Fairbanks. Son style athlétique unique était le moteur même de ses films qu'il soutenait à lui tout seul. Cette méga production, bénéficit de décors gigantesques avec plusieurs centaines (voir milliers) du figurants dans de nombreuses scènes. Un monument, mais qui refléte une certaine époque du cinéma aujourd'hui dépassée.
kylemydude
June 7, 2010
A great swashbuckling silent film.
April 3, 2010
Fascinatingly different take on what has become the mold of Robin Hood adaptions following the Errol Flynn film. This version roots much of the film in the Crusades with the actual 'Robin Hood' part of the tale coming fairly late in the film. Wallace Beery's King Richard figures more prominently here than in later films, with even a assassination attempt on him by Sir Guy of Gisborne. Beery's hearty performance steals the show; such that its frustrating that as the audience we can't hear what must be a loud boisterous voice along with the eye-catching performance.

The sets are impressively sprawling with great towering heights that is incredible to witness even on a small screen. When occupied by the throngs of extras, its easy to take for granted what we accomplish today with digital work is here in this film represented by real people and props. Every fluttering flag, every background person on horseback is real and not some computer graphic. This fact alone adds an extra bit of magic to the images onscreen. Standing most impressive is the main throne room set where the infamous slide down the tapestry happens and later the Sherwood forest stronghold of the Merry Men.

The story it self is well plotted for its length, with only some bits of humor feeling a bit strained. Its difficult to imagine why the early scenes where Fairbank's Earl of Huntington is made afraid of women. The movies makes good use of its multiple villains; wherein later versions its customary to just have one nemesis, here Robin Hood faces off against Prince John, Sir Guy of Gisborne, and the Sheriff of Nottingham.

The action scenes are well staged, in particular the final fight between Robin Hood and Gisborne is quite gruesome when you realize what is happening. The montage of tortures that follow the transgressions against the new edicts of Prince John make for some strong images.

The movie does feel a bit long, especially when lots of Merry Men seem to be dancing about, but the movie does very well in sustaining its 2 hour-plus length.
March 24, 2010
"Robin Hood" (1922) 3/5
May 17, 2009
Awesome storytelling here, even though, yes, it was made in 1922, is silent and runs 2 hours and 12 minutes. Douglas Fairbanks spells out why he was the swashbuckling hero of the day, putting on a bravara performance here, especially after he dons the Robin Hood gear. I found myself watching this all the way to the end with very few pauses, something I can't say for a lot of movies I watch.
April 22, 2008
Ah la la c'est tout meugnon ce film. C'est ultra-manicheen, un peu mysogine, rempli de bons sentiments, bien kitschounet (Robin et ses potes auraient fait sensation Ă  la Gay pride). Mais qu'est ce que c'est fun !
April 15, 2008
Amazingly fun! A little long for me but a good time none the less.
February 23, 2008
A little slow at first, but well worth watching if for the swashbuckling amazingness of the second half.
½ January 19, 2008
Another very good 1920's Douglas Fairbanks film.