Second Best - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Second Best Reviews

½ April 10, 2016
Fairly gripping drama, a bit long and drawn out in parts
September 21, 2012
Very strong performance from Hurt and one of the most poignant depictions of a father-child relationship.
June 2, 2011
A very perceptive account of the way that 'they f**k you up, your Mum and Dad'. Both protagonists have been damaged by their parents, and the plot revolves around their engagement with each other and the personal growth that each achieves as a result. Not an easy film, and a little contrived in places. Plenty to think over, though.
November 18, 2010
William Hurt could have worked on his accent a little more before starting this film, but the story and drama get deep and is a fascinating exploration of father-son relationships.
November 16, 2010
This is a exceptional treatment of an emotional subject.
November 3, 2010
Amazingly good acting! It shows the importance of relationships between a father and a son and how it affects a person if they don't have that bond, short-term and long-term. Dramatic and keeps you guessing if things will work out or not.
October 13, 2010
Really good movie. I am actually surprised that it is from 1994, and I have never seen it before. Where have they been hiding this wonderful film? William Hurt did a great job, and that kid...well what can I say. He deserved an Oscar for this, as far as I am concerned. Very moving. Very touching.
April 15, 2010
April 15, 2010
60/100. Well made but I found it very hard to get involved with the characters, and there were a number of scenes that dragged on. The acting is excellent, wonderfully photographed. But it is just so bleak and just too boring overall. It seemed much longer than its actual length. Perhaps if the characters were more interesting, I might not have found it so slow.
½ February 1, 2010
The movie was directed by Chris Menges, a former cinematographer whose directing credits include "A World Apart", the touching South African drama. Here is has taken a small, quiet subject, and handled it delicately, much aided by William Hurt.
October 23, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that alan cumming, alfred lynch, chris cleary miles, jane horrocks, james warrior, doris irving, john hurt, keith allen, nathan yapp play good roles/parts throughout this movie....i think that the director of this drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....i think that this is a really powerful drama movie 2 watch but its such a sad movie in times/places throughout this movie....this is a really strong powerful drama movie 2 watch
September 25, 2009
Excellent movie about a lonely village postmaster in England who adopts a troubled boy. Too bad it's not on DVD.
½ September 6, 2009
Very well drama.Hurt is a dreamer actor.
½ October 3, 2008