Angels in the Outfield - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Angels in the Outfield Reviews

October 5, 2016
Very well done movie. I just love the lines "It could happen." Great actors & music.

Angels in the Outfield 1994

I like the film score. It has emotional feeling and I like the casting for actors in their role. i think that everyone does a great job in their role for this film.

I like the visual effects and look of the angels. This is an element which was lacking in the 1951 film.

This film is funny and hits the emotional feelings that the original film did not. It has great catch phrases especially from J.B. woth lines like "It could happen" and "Nacho butt."

The kids, coach, and team members of the angels are all shown in a darker situation at the start than they ever were in the original 1951 film.
There is a stronger emphasis on the ball game and on the crowds perspective compared to the original film.

More depth is provided to the baseball announcer. They develop his personality and behavior much more strongly compared to the 1951 film. They develop him as a character you love to hate.

The Coach George Knox believes that the team is untrainable and was given the team to play.

Media coordinator David is so hilarious. It is not so much what he does but what he doesn't do that works. Also it is about what he wears that makes the scenes work. He becomes the slap stick character who always gets the abuse from the kids. Getting ketchup, musters, soda, popcorn all splattered on him. They do it so well and really easily told after a while by just having him shown up with different costumes.

A stronger emphasis is made to using the music and visuals to drive the scenes further. I love the musical score because it can give you shivers of a powerful scene. This film focuses more on the kids rather than the adults which I think makes this much more relatable for a family film than just focusing on the adult problems.

The kids are in an foster home and Roger prays to try and get back with his father to get out of being in a foster home.

There is a sense that the coach is really terrible only looks out for his own interest rather than for the team as a whole. He even has a past history with Mel for causing some of the medical and physical problems he is dealing with.

We see Baseball announcer drink alcohol while on duty.

I love Danny Glover's as Coach George Knox response as team wins first games as he is in utter shock; it is hilarious.

I love how the clouds look in the long exposure shot.

The radio baseball announcer is made even more of a jerk by not allowing the other announcers to speak for air time.

The angels makes a rules about not telling others about their existence

Al played by Christopher Lloyd is awesome. He makes it a likable and memorable face to the Angels. He is similar to Clarence in It's a Wonderful Life but with more of an edge.

I think that Danny Glover does a great job in the role of the coach.

Nachos butt.

Maybe you should not swear so much because angels don't like it.

Mel Clark is given a strong emotional story since the coach George Knox started with a bad past history as the coach was responsible for Mel's injuries. Then in the end it is a much more emotional ending.

Roger and J.B. are the kids who are the main characters.

Ranch Wilder the voice of the Angels who is the baseball announcer.

Championship have to be won on there own.

Mel going to come soon from smoking all those years. But he is covered.

To me this film does a great job hitting the emotional scenes like as we hear about Roger's fate with his father, the scene where we hear of Mel's eventual fate due to smoking, seeing the entire stadium crowd stand to make the flapping angel wings with their hands, and the end fate for J.B., Roger, and the Coach I think are all effective by the musical score. I credit the musical score and visuals for why this film is so much more successful compared to the 1951 film.
August 7, 2016
Two Thumbs Up Siskel And Ebert
March 11, 2016
A nice little fun Disney, baseball film.
½ February 9, 2016
It's target audience will enjoy it while the rest of us may refuse to admit that we are enjoying ourselves. It's a harmless movie with a good heart that will please audiences of all ages.
December 13, 2015
A rare Disney remake that fails, "Angels in the Outfield" is over sentimental and driven by clichés making it quite a bore to watch with hardly any entertaining baseball sequences.
November 5, 2015
About our 'California Angels'.
August 23, 2015
This is personally my favorite movie I've ever seeb
½ June 29, 2015
The worst movie I've ever seen
June 17, 2015
One of my favourite Childhood movies!!!
June 13, 2015
This movie is another baseball classic!
½ April 6, 2015
Entertaining but still doesn't hold up
½ March 8, 2015
ok remake but I prefer the 1951 version.
½ February 17, 2015
not as good as the big green but pretty close
December 23, 2014
it was the bombest movie my favorite actors in it
September 20, 2014
Charming Family Fun. Disney! You've Done It Again!
½ August 27, 2014
If you didn't for some reason enjoy this movie, then you have no beliefs in anything, or for some odd reason, don't like america's passtime baseball. How can you?
½ August 27, 2014
From the first shot to the last the strings on the puppet are always clearly in evidence in this popular Disney release I only now got around to viewing. Its cool that I did wait so long: would I have recognized so many up and coming stars (Adrien Brody, Matthew McConaughey - with his shirt off, natch, Joe Gordon Levitt, for instance) otherwise? But the cheese is laid on pretty thick, even for a family film combining baseball, orphans, and faith in God. Still, like a puppy who pees on yer new living room carpet, it's hard to be too mad about it
August 17, 2014
Wonderful movie for the whole family
August 8, 2014
Ploddingly predictable fare, Angels in the Outfield is a harmless but charmless tale of simple hopes and even simpler ideals.
½ August 4, 2014
(First viewing - Summer 1994 in theaters)