The Specialist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Specialist Reviews

March 11, 2014
(40%)
One of Sly's weakest ever films, and despite the strong supporting cast, this is still very bland and uninteresting with little action or suspense. This also marks the start of his movie slump with the disappointing "Assassins", flawed "Judge Dredd" and awful "Driven" coming up that almost destroyed his career. Only worth a look for Sly completests.
½ January 31, 2014
good actioner but not much chemistry between sly & stone
January 16, 2014
An action film that owes everything to it's cast but lacks a bit of substance to really convince. Still it's fun, packed with action, betrayals & a beautiful Sharon Stone .... works for me guys.
December 23, 2013
A great action film full of great scenes, dialogue, intrigue, and a classic 1990's cast.
September 26, 2013
James Woods makes this movie worth watching.
September 9, 2013
I enjoyed this film. I think it is entertaining. I have this film on Dvd and I love 2 watch it every now and then. Give this one a look. Great entertainment
August 11, 2013
Stupid Revenge Thriller That's Below Average, Has A Stupid Twist And Puts The Great Cast Of Sly Stallone, Sharon Stone, James Woods, Rod Steiger & Eric Roberts To Shame. A Dreadful Film.
½ June 9, 2013
I was well aware of this film's reputation, but I had a feeling that I was going to have fun with it, and I was not disappointed. The plot is convoluted, the acting is hilariously bad (Especially the performance by James Woods), there's plenty of action, shameless sex scenes and nudity, and cheesy music as well (Complete with the sexy saxophone music you'd expect from this era). Overall, if you enjoy nonsensical action flicks, The Specialist is a good piece of popcorn entertainment that will give you what you seek.
June 9, 2013
I own this on DVD in a four movie pack along with:
* Cobra (1986)
* Demolition Man (1993)
* Assassins (1995)

and i also own it on Blu-Ray
May 16, 2013
The simple-minded performances, the moronic dialogue, and the shockingly repetitious narrative add up to a flop of a film.
April 8, 2013
One of the worst films I've ever wasted my time watching.
March 12, 2013
I can't decide if this movie tries too hard or not at all. I think it's the former but the bottom line is that it's just not good. The acting and directing is atrocious. The only redeeming feature in this movie is that Sharon Stone looks hot in it.
March 12, 2013
The Specialist isn't Sylvester Stallone's finest or most memorable moment. The the plot is muddled and wafer thin. The explosions and set pieces from memory are reasonably enjoyable but any memory of this film is vivid. Sharon Stone holds her own alongside Stallone and the supporting cast is acceptable with a good performance from Eric Roberts. The Specialist isn't the worst of Sylvester Stallone's films, but its instantly forgettable and average at best.
March 9, 2013
Terrible. Sylvester Stallone and Sharon Stone have zero chemistry.
February 28, 2013
fun and predictable stallone action film. it at least has a decent cast with james woods having a field day as the main villian.
½ February 19, 2013
While it starts off looking cool, it turns into a series of random weird explosions with nothing else to show for it, not even a substantial amount of Sharon Stone's nudity, and it's just way too loud and not worth it. Disappointing. But James Woods played a good villain
½ January 27, 2013
So bad it's good. I could watch it more often than any great movie. It's not mentally and emotionally enduring to get through and I get the joke. Plus James Woods' permanently pissed-off performance never gets old.
January 18, 2013
I give this 4 stars purely for James Woods performance as the perfect funny bad guy. My favourite actor giving a superb performance.
½ January 2, 2013
A movie about a bomb expert, which ironically is a huge bomb. Movies like this actually make me wonder what it was like to be a member of an audience in a theater watching this. Then it makes me wonder how it ever was screened in a theater.