Titanic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Titanic Reviews

February 19, 2016
Good, but Not Great -- New Version had Kate and Great Music
½ January 10, 2016
While not the darling of the new millennia, this version shines as a family drama involving (like Cameron's popular outing) class warfare. Dad (Webb) wants children to rise in social circles. Mom (Stanwyck) longs for the honesty of the lower classes (hey! did Cameron crib from here?!), but has a secret to tell Pop about that just might be hot enough to melt the iceberg coming up. But the stage for all this drama (as we all know) famously sinks. Will there be any resolution? While the film is as obvious as all get out, it is still entertaining.
½ April 16, 2015
From Twentieth Century-Fox comes Titanic, the first major motion picture about the Titanic disaster. The story follows a society couple that attempts to reconcile their estranged marriage on the maiden voyage of the R.M.S. Titanic. Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck both give strong performances and have tremendous screen presence. Additionally, the writing (which won an Academy Award) is quite engaging. However, the film glosses over a lot of the actual people and events of the real sinking. Yet despite the lack of historical accuracy, Titanic is an especially well-made film that's dramatic and exciting.
½ March 1, 2015
Historically, periodically, and visually inaccurate from start to finish.
November 9, 2014
I like loved the Titanic movie it was the best movie I have ever seen.
July 23, 2014
Made in the days when men were men and movies were movies, Titanic (1953) is as enjoyable as it is to the point, without 3 hours of character building as seen in the Cameron version (1997). Clifton Webb is impressive, and Barbara Stanwyck was so devoted to her part with Robert Wagner that the two developed a romance that lasted 4 years. The plot is relevant in that the film centers around a family going through a crisis no more rare in 1912 than it would be today, and ends with a scene so heartbreaking I'll never forget it as long as I live.
½ April 22, 2014
A Beautiful film that illustrates the Titanic's voyage and fate.
January 13, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
January 5, 2014
I love this movie it is the best one in this whole entire galaxy's :-)
November 14, 2013
I didn't know there was a prequel
September 15, 2013
While it lacked the romance of the 1997 three-hour version, this was very compelling once the ship started to sink. It was moving at the end when the passengers sang. I guessed that this probably did not happen in real life as I'm sure nobody really would have been calm enough to sing faced with the prospect of dying in a freezing cold sea.
July 23, 2013
Watched this film many times saw this way before James Cameron's Version i felt this one had the story much more better and enjoyable seeing the Emotions of father and son and break up of the marriage they all played the parts very well the ending is quite sad might not have the Special Efforts of the new film but still is such a great movie and still a high fav of mine give it full stars
½ July 18, 2013
a total bore pretty much
June 18, 2013
Far more enthralling than James Cameron's overrated and over the top melodrama. The characters are fun to watch despite their flaws.
½ May 31, 2013
wasn't to crazy about it
March 17, 2013
Better than that Cameron debacle.
March 16, 2013
Study how Webb & Stanwyck spin gold from cotton in this impressive film. See the lovely little scene with Stanwyck reading poetry to Robert Wagner. A real gem.
February 27, 2013
It was very good. Really sad.
February 10, 2013
It's hard not to compare this to the James Cameron's 1997 blockbuster of the same name. Though similiar in title and topic, they are two different films. But, if I must choose, I would pick this 1953 version. I like how the story focuses on a particular family. Their drama is front and center and it is a kind of irony that we already know their fate. Only in the last 30 minutes does the actually sinking occurs, but even then, the story sticks with the family until the very end. Whereas the '97 version had an unrelastic and sappy love story the first half, only to be rescued by a flawless second half, this 1953 version has a very realistic love story and a heartbreaking final act. It also tells its story just under 100 minutes, which is half of what Cameron needed to tell his.

Grade: A-
February 7, 2013
It's not completely awful, but it'll probably make you appreciate James Cameron's Titanic that much more.