Unconquered - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unconquered Reviews

½ October 3, 2014
good historical epic
February 2, 2013
What can I say, Gary Cooper!
Also, I fell in love with Paulette Goddard in this movie.
June 17, 2012
Another great DeMille . This, a story of a freed slave girl, a tyrant who claims her as her master, and warring native Americans in the Ohio River valley. And Gary Cooper stands in between it all. A fun, entertaining piece of Americana with all the DeMille spectacle you want.
March 23, 2012
Fantastic film about the early westward settlers. A great film.
January 22, 2012
Fantastic film about the early westward settlers. A great film.
January 2, 2012
Unconquered is very dated, shamelessly racist and sexist, but none-the-less, it's still pretty fun and entertaining.
This is a movie that proudly exhibits all of Cicil B. DeMille's trademarks as a filmmaker. The characters are stereotyped, the story elements are convoluted, but it's still kind of hard not to like this film. The dialog is cheesy, but still witty, Gary Cooper is pretty likable, and the movie just has a charm to it. It does go on too long though. From a critical perspective this is not a very good movie, but I'll be nice and give it 3/5.
½ August 15, 2011
Big and loud it's Cecil B. Demille, like a drunk braggert uncle at a family holiday gathering. And this time he's on about manifest destiny and how Native Americans deserved to be divested of their home and life. Oy. Coop is solid as ever but its the supporting cast that's the show here. Look for the great Karloff as a sullen Indian chief.
August 23, 2010
Boasts all the worst traits of DeMille and few of the best. Overlong, schlocky, poorly acted, and pretty much inert. The spectacle is dull and empty, Goddard is boring, and Coop is Coop. I like Coop, but in moderation, and with strong support. He hasn't got it here. It's not altogether woeful, and I guess Ward Bond gives it a bit of spark, but... bah. Disappointing.
May 8, 2010
Super historical movies of earily when PIttsburgh ended the new world! Loved it as a kid, love it as an ole guy!
½ January 28, 2010
About as entertaining as a movie this old can possibly be . . and it's in color! Some interesting history is revealed; the photograpy is good and the chacters are interesting if not totatly believable. Would you believe Boris Karloff as an Indian Chief?
½ November 29, 2008
Typical DeMille fare (overlong and melodramatic) But it has it's good parts.
October 8, 2008
This was good, but also rather funny. They call Native Americans Indians and it is rather hokey. It was a 5 million dollar movie and one of Demille's most expensive at the time. But, I prefer the older black and white movies and his later religious and more elaborate films.
August 10, 2008
Love old movies and this one is really good!
August 6, 2008
One of the best "Colonials & Indians" flicks.
Cooper at his stoic best. Goddard at her least annoying. Full of great character actors.
½ July 20, 2008
Entertaining, but fairly dumb and WAY overlong settlers-versus-injuns flick. Could have been an hour shorter easily.
March 8, 2008
It's one of my mom's favorite movies and she made me watch it. It was okay, but not the best i've ever seen or anything. Then again, maybe it's one of those things I need to see mulitiple times to appreciate....
February 17, 2008
Typical DeMille starts out promisingly but goes on too long but still kind of fun.
December 31, 2007
Fairly enjoyable movie.... I watched this with my parents NYE... and drank shitty beer (Newcastle Brown Ale.... I just hope it don't leave "Brown Ale" marks in me britches!)
November 26, 2007
Gary Cooper and Boris Karloff in the same movie.
October 14, 2007
Ridiculous hokum. Boris Karloff as (an English-accented) Indian chief! But thoroughly entertaining nonetheless.