The Fast and the Furious - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fast and the Furious Reviews

½ August 20, 2015
another supermarket DVD 2.99 DVD combo pack purchase
½ March 22, 2015
good actioner and no relation to the current F & F franchise.
August 31, 2014
Back in the mid-1950's, before anyone could guess that there'd be any kind of a market for films about driving fast Roger Corman and John Ireland produced this quickly assembled thrill ride about an escaped con and his hostage on the run ... in a smooth Jaguar XK120 (0 - 60 in 10.0 as tested, top speed of 126 mph, the fastest production car of its time). Dorothy Malone and Ireland are a good team and although the cars are old the action isn't.
And many years later they would decide to bring back the old idea. ..
½ July 11, 2014
"I guess I should be thankful you haven't killed me yet."
"Don't tempt me.

A wrongly imprisoned man breaks out of jail and heads for freedom. To execute this master plan he kidnaps a girl and steals her car. This isn't the easiest way to avoid the authorities and they're quickly on his tale. The prisoner will try to convince the girl to get off his case while he heads towards salvation.

"I said I was sorry."
"You're about the sorriest creature I've ever seen."

John Ireland, director of Hannah Lee: An American Primitive, delivers The Fast and the Furious. The storyline for this picture is above average and worth a viewing. I wouldn't say this is a classic or anywhere in the conversation with Faster Pussy Cat, Kill Kill! The action scenes were okay and the film relied heavily on dialogue. The cast delivers fairly average performances and includes John Ireland and Dorothy Malone.

"It's good for your figure."
"There's nothing wrong with my figure."
"I've noticed."

I came across this on Netflix and had to give it a viewing based on the title alone as well as due to my love affair with the grindhouse genre. Overall, this movie is just okay and far from a grindhouse classic, but the film is still worth watching unfold. I wouldn't go too out of my way to see this but I'd give it a viewing if you come across it..

"You can't prove your innocence running away."
"I can't prove it dead."

Grade: B-
April 3, 2014
After 60 years ths film still doesn't miss a beat. Exciting, thrilling, and Furious
½ July 1, 2013
Crap, crap, crap. What old b&w's lack in today's great effects and cinematography, they make up in superb dialogs, and story-line. Not this one, though. Crap summarizes it all.
½ November 24, 2012
The only fast and furious I like and I'm pretty sure there is no race car gay sex scenes so this is why I like this fast and furious
May 29, 2012
the fast and the furious
½ February 21, 2012
I'm still trying to find the logic of how hair can still look good in a speeding car with the top down.
½ April 18, 2011
wow not so great very classic movie (this is public domain) of the 1950's with roger corman who did story and the producer in this film. not bad this movie with starring john ireland but he the director also and along with dorothy malone. watch out for roger corman cameo with uncredited role.
March 5, 2011
THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS [1955]: What makes this film memorable is aside for the fact this is where the 2001 Vin Diesel film got its title from is the fact this was the first film made by legendry B-Movie and exploitation studio American International Pictures. Produced and Co-Written by Roger Corman, THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS is a surprisingly enjoyable film.

The Plotline: involves an escaped convict who kidnaps a young woman and her classic Jaguar and high tales it to Mexico. But the way to do that is to enter a road race that will enter Mexico, but will the woman help the convict when he reviles he is an innocent man?

Overall decent scripting, direction, camera-work and acting make this first AIP outing enjoyable in comparison to some of their other 1950's B-Grade films. My rating for this AIP/Roger Corman film is a simple 60%.
jjnxn
½ February 13, 2011
Not very fast nor terribly furious.
½ November 8, 2010
I don't know if the new "fast and furious" movies are anything like this one, I haven't seen them, but in my opinion this movie is really very cool. It was written by Corman, and you can tell it's sort of a cross between his later films and a film noir. It's exciting and I really enjoyed it.
citawijaya
November 4, 2010
It was an okay one, not that spectacular but just okay.
August 19, 2010
Produced by Roger Corman from an original story of his, this ultra low budget 73 minute thriller stars John Ireland (who also co directs) as a man on the run from the cops. After being charged for murder, that he claims wasn't his fault, he plans his escape by kidnapping a female racing driver (Dorothy Malone) and entering a cross country race that leads to Mexico and freedom.

A ridiculous plot that I suppose is expected from Corman, this differs from the Vim Diesel 2001 version where the undercover cop becomes the racer. It has more plot holes in the script than it has potholes in the road.

The acting is average at best with John Ireland showing that he is not really leading man material, or a decent director. Dorothy Malone is pleasant enough - the last time I saw her was in The Big Sleep flirting with Humphrey Bogart in the ACME book store scene. I need to see more of her.

The main selling point are the actual cars and the race, with it's sped up frames making it a thrilling chase finale.

Overall, unless you're a petrol head with a penchant for vintage cars and old films, I'd steer clear of this.
August 16, 2010
hmmm.. i didnt seen this yet..
December 4, 2009