Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book Reviews

October 24, 2016
"You kicked Sgt. Harvey in the sweets!" ... A real score for young viewers.
July 19, 2016
The hype surrounding Disney's latest animated take on Rudyard Kipling's Story moved me to dig out the 1994 live-action VHS version of the tale. The Goofy movie preview probably tells us more about the take we are about to see than the studio would prefer. To put too fine a point on matters one wonders where in the jungle Mowgli found a bodybuilding gym or a martial arts Sensei.

The grown Mowgli performs like a trained parrot with a fondness for kicking a certain sergeant in 'the sweets'--this is a children's show, and a smart aleck mentality. Cary Elwes plays his villain's role with malicious delight.

I have decided it's about time I read the original.
May 2, 2016
A spin from the classic story, great performances help get past the unbelievable situations forced into a serious story.
½ April 17, 2016
This takes an old school classic and puts a spin on it. Very entertaining for all ages, though the acting and effects are not the best. All fans of the Jungle Book and not fans alike should enjoy this live action version.
April 17, 2016
This Live action jungle book is good. How ever it is different from the one in 1967. This jungle book has good music and is more intense with guns and killing, and it's a little scary etc. now when you watch this movie it might make you think to go see a jungle placed in India. So it's a good movie to see.
How ever I do not recommend this to children till they're older.
December 5, 2015
Enjoyable & interesting but it's mostly forgettable and overlong.
½ October 22, 2015
I cried when balou died
October 9, 2015
It takes its liberty with the source material, but as a movie, it's still great as it is.
½ September 17, 2015
The Jungle Book manages to work despite Mowgli being an Indian boy who grows into Jason Scott Lee; an Asian, due to Lee's fine performance. He's believable as someone who was brought up in the jungle.
The rest of the cast is good as well. You have Lena Headley (Game of Thrones) as Mowgli's childhood friend Kitty before he disappeared in the jungle. Carey Elwes (The Princess Bride) as Kitty's jerk soldier boyfriend who wants to use Mowgli to show him where to find a treasure that only Mowgli knows to find. Also John Cleese (A Fish Called Wanda) as a doctor who teachers Mowgli how to speak English and Sam Neil as Kitty's Colonel father.
I loved this film as a kid and it still works to this day as one of the better live action Jungle Book adaptations. Just expect that it feels more like Tarzan than the Jungle Book. If you like adventures with real animals and no CGI; then I also strongly recommend this film.
August 31, 2015
For being Stephen Sommer's first film, it had potential, but due to some of the story narratives, it was kind of a chore to sit through. Still, a decent film!
August 26, 2015
A re-imagining that works due to a {pre-Tarzan) narrative flare that brings out the adventure in Kipling's stories, as well as a [pre-G.I. JOE] Stephen Sommers that was just warming up.
July 3, 2015
My favorite live action version of The Jungle Book!!
June 17, 2015
One of my favourite animated movies of all time
½ November 19, 2014
back in first grade, thought this thing was over-played. now i look back at it as a masterpiece.
November 6, 2014
This is the favorite movie of my childhood. What a thrilling, epic, surprisingly dark and violent kids movie this is. Giving it any less than 5 stars would be a dishonest denigration to my childhood. In a way, this is the closest to a Redwall movie that we would (sadly) ever get. It is a similar story, possessing all the elements one would look for in an adventure film. I'm still amazed that Disney managed to produce a movie like this, it is in every way the antithesis of what they're generally about. I'm even more amazed to now find The Jungle Book to be directed by Stephen Sommers, Wow! This movie is a lucky miracle. A perfect adventure, but more than that too. This movie did much to foster my outrage at the mistreatment of animals. The scene where Mowgli first sees the room full of animal heads remains deeply imprinted on me. Even if this movie isn't accurate to the source material, it captures why Mowgli is such a great central hero: he is a boy who can speak for the animals, who of course cannot speak for themselves. As Mowgli, Jason Scott Lee embodies the element of innocence and purity that can be found in boyhood, along with the knowledge that to be a man one must be more than that. Yet none of that grown up life in civilization is desirable to him in comparison with his life among the animals, who also possess that unassuming nature, uncorrupted by hubris. This can be seen to represent a Peter Pan-like reluctance to move on from childhood, but it is also the kind of idealized relationship to nature which can serve an enduring function in today's world. We could use to learn from Mowgli in regards to how we treat the animals we share the planet with, and their homes.

The Jungle, the animals themselves, all spectacular. Other marvels here: Cary Elwes is shown to be an actual actor, turning British military decorum and reserve into chilling menace. It is a distillation of the British Imperial outlook, uniformly expressed towards nature, the people of India, even his prospective bride. All exist for the man at the top of the food chain to use and abuse. Nature is full of terrifying savagery, embodied in this movie by the tiger king Shere Khan. Yet however scary Shere Khan is, the tiger does not possess the uniquely human capacity for evil. It is this wild purity, the capacity for emotional attachment along with incapacity for evil, which casts Mowgli's animal friends as heroes. The scene where all the animals attack to save the caravan was the definition of thrilling to me, possibly my favorite scene in any film as a preteen.

The rest of the cast is strong. These days it is hard to imagine Lena Headey as the innocent heroine, but even in this movie she has fire, bitterness and pluck. John Cleese and Sam Neill are, as always, very welcome presences. Just one of the best action/adventure films for kids ever, although as with many more recent action films, it is far more violent than its rating would suggest, so not for small children in the least, but very enjoyable for anyone who loves a terrific adventure.
½ October 12, 2014
Unlike the cartoon, this is more faithful to the book.
½ August 16, 2014
(First viewing - Early 1995 in theaters)
June 29, 2014
nothing special but nice for children. it has cute and awesome animals, lena heady and cary elwes play together and john cleese has some funny scenes
½ April 22, 2014
Even though the animals don't talk in this Disney adaptation, it was still a moving live-action remake filled with action and Lena Headey way before she was in GAME OF THRONES. Though, this movie has had awful follow-ups like the direct-to-video remake subtitled MOWGLI'S STORY and the sequel to the original Disney cartoon, but the next live-action remake will hopefully be as good as this version if not better!
February 12, 2014
real version of jungle book