The Ring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ring Reviews

½ November 19, 2010
This is pretty standard fare coming from the master. I found the first 30 minutes or so pretty hard to get through but the rest of the film picks up a bit once the relationship drama settles in. Still, it doesn't quite have the intriguing Hitchcock flair that would make his later films so great.
July 28, 2010
Alfred Hitchcock is often known for the characters in this film. Although there is very little dialogue in this movie (and by dialogue I mean intertitles, since this film is silent), I really feel like I understand the personality of the main character, Jack (aka "One Round" Jack).

Jack is a boxer known for knocking out his opponents in one round (obviously). He has a pretty girlfriend, named Lillian, who he plans to marry. One day, though, Lillian is swept off her feet by the suave and charismatic Bob Corby. Lillian begins having an affair with Corby, despite marrying Jack shortly after the start of the affair. Over time, Jack begins to learn of the affair and wants to fight to win his woman back.

"The Ring" starts off a little slow, but picks up once Jack's involvement grows. Jack is the true heart of the film. The film would not have been as good if not for the intense performance by Carl Brisson, who plays Jack. You really grow to like Jack, and, in contrast, really grow to hate Lillian.

If you're a Hitchcock fan I recommend this. Look for a good print!
½ July 13, 2010
A pesar de ser uno de los primeros trabajos del maestro Hitchock comenzamos a ver un uso del lenguaje cinematografico inusual a la epoca con una narrativa dinamica y con intensiones marcadas... a los seguidores del director imprecindible.
June 7, 2010
This is not the kind of film I would have expected from Hitchcock; a drama about two boxers vying for the same woman. Absent are any of the hallmarks of his popular films; no wrong-man, no villainous shadowy figures, no murdered beautiful girls. Despite its differences from his other work, though, The Ring still proved itself to be a work well-worth watching.

A simple story: Carl Brisson's character, Jack, a boxer, is beaten by a superior athlete, Ian Hunter's Bob Corby. After that match, Bob goes after Jack's girl, Mabel, played by Lillian Hall-Davis, buying her expensive jewelery and just being quite the charmer. Through most of the film, Jack is made to look like an unsympathetic, jealous jerk. One wonders why Mabel marries him, when she clearly would prefer to be with Corby. Jack's behavior escalates throughout the course of the film, and when Mabel finally leaves him, one can't help but feel like Jack got what he deserved.

However, remarkably, this is where the film got really interesting for me: Hitchcock turns the tables in the last act, and instead of rooting for Corby to again defeat the mean old Jack in the final boxing match, you're in Jack's corner all the way, cheering for the downtrodden underdog to take his wife back. You realize that he was just trying to do right by Mabel the whole time, and as he felt her slipping away as she spent more time with Corby, he couldn't help but get jealous and a bit overprotective.

Being the second silent Hitchcock film I've watched, I'll have to compare it to The Lodger: on a technical level, this film was superior, in my opinion. It had a good deal of double-exposed shots, and overall slicker editing and steadier camerawork. However, the acting in The Ring wasn't quite as good; Hall-Davis in particular did very little in her role. And again, though a good movie, The Ring just didn't have the artistic flavor one expects from Hitchcock. Overall, I definitely prefer The Lodger, being a darker, more intimate and enthralling film.

I would still highly recommend this film to any Hitchcock fan, though. It is an entirely different animal than the movies one would associate with the Master of Suspense, and it's fascinating to see his take on such a tale as this, and rewarding in that it by no means disappoints.
½ February 15, 2010
Pretty flat melodrama about rival boxers and a girl who's married to one, but in heat for the other. Not much to see here, the final boxing scene is a bit odd, but that's about it.
½ October 10, 2009
It was much more disappointing than The Lodger was mainly because of the generic story. A boxer must fight for his wife against a more famous, more established boxer and in the end it comes down to a fight between the two. I feel like I've seen it a million times before. The difference here is I found nothing special that stood out. There were a handful of neat shots by Hitch, like the fight sequence itself, but overall a very average film. And the fact that it was a silent film from 1927 didn't help the how generic it was. I know this is kind of biased to use date against the film itself, but when it doesn't do anything for me, I will.
½ October 10, 2009
½ June 14, 2009
not even close 2 the scariest movie ive seen
½ May 1, 2009
Great silent movie by master Hitchcock !
½ April 19, 2009
Good Horror movie... :)
½ April 10, 2009
This silent Hitchcock obscurity shows glimmers of his inherent story-telling ability. Though this particular has such depth that the two dimensional silent setting really doesn't capture it, the scenes are well shot for the most part. The main problem is that it is full of enigmatic characters, that you can not sympathize. Carl Brisson as the sympathetic hero is understandable enough, but Ian Hunter as his rival sometimes comes off as evil but most of the time, somewhat charming and sympathetic himself. Lillian-Hall Davis, is completely incomprehensible as a character and baffles an audience as to why Carl Brisson would even want to win her back.
March 29, 2009
Intriguing to see an early, silent manifestation of Hitchcock's craft. Sadly, this didn't stand out for me like his talking films do. Story is well realised but visually, he seems constrained by the technology to hand
February 21, 2009
This is an enjoyable film that was written and directed by Hitchcock. It faintly reminds me of Shakespear's Othello, but with a much happier ending. This is a fun silent film from Hitchcock, nothing like his later works.
October 23, 2008
One of Hitchock's first movies is ok, but it's nothing compared to his later work.
September 3, 2008
One of Hitchcock's better silent films, and the only film for which he received a full writing credit. It's a simple story of two men (who happen to be boxers) fighting over one woman, but for a film of that era it's fast paced and entertaining, and the way one of the boxers builds his way up from zero to hero before fighting a complacent champion has been imitated numerous times since. The two actors are quite good and the actress is okay; but while the men carried on acting for years to come, she didn't make the transition from silent films to 'talkies' and gruesomely committed suicide several years later.
August 31, 2008
A terceira longa metragem de Hitchcock é uma trajectória circular, de contornos difusos, dir-se-ia em espiral hipnótica. Mais uma vez uma mulher entre dois homens, sendo que o segundo, pela sua força e instrumento hipnótico(uma serpente de ouro) encanta a mulher do primiero.
Jack (Carl Brisson) é um lutador maravilha que já viu melhores dias. Trabalha agora com a sua namorada Nelly (Lilian Hall-Davies) na feira popular. Ele é `One Round Jack` (ninguém lhe vence mais do que um assalto no ring) e ela vende os bilhetes. Este primeiro ambiente de `The Ring` é feito de multidões, de perda de lucidez. Assim, o primeiro plano do filme é de pernas a girar numa espécie de atracção popular. Primeiro encontro com a forma circular. Chegamos a ver os efeitos devastadores de Jack na cara dos que o desafiam mas não vemos o combate. Aqui, mais um par de polícias na obra de Hitchcock que se diverte mais do que controla a multidão, neste caso ao ver um negro a cair. Desta dimensão fantasmagórica hipnótica se faz aqui um primeiro plano subjectivo de Bob (Ian Hunter) em sobreimposição ao ver Nelly. Atraído por um flirt com Nelly, é Jack num primiero momento de ciúmes que desafia Bob para um duelo. Interessante vera passividade, como este se dissolve na multidão (como se de Bob não falasse a história mas de um período de desconfiança na relação amorosa a dois, de que Bob fosse pretexto; esta dissolução tem a ver com o lado impenetrável que quase todas as personagens, sendo Jack o herói da segunda metade do filme, o mais transparente). Curiosamente essa dissolução faz com que o filme pareça estar primiero com Nelly, depois com Bob para depois finalmente vermos que o protagonista é mesmo Jack. Interessante o pormenor de Bob tirar cerimoniosamente o casaco e do ajudante, dos eu lado do ringue, o arrumar cuidadosamente para quando ele virar costas o voltar a tirar do cabide demonstrando que todo o combate vai ser rápido sendo este derrotado. Porque também não é de boxe que fala a história, apesar do local ring ser local de decisões, quase não vemos o combate inciting incident. O que é fora do normal é dado pelo número dois, pela primeira vez alguém chaga ao segundo assalto com Jack, o que quer dizer que passa a existir um segundo pretendente para Nelly, cada um com o seu sinal de afeição e marca na fêmea (um uma serpente e outro um anel, um escondido no braço, o outro visível no dedo).
A testemunhar essa dimensão quase mágica do domínio de Bob face a Nelly, numa serpente que este lhe oferece (como Eva é hipnotizada pela serpente) está uma vidente que vai depois ler na vida daquela dois reis (Bob é Hearts e Jack é diamonds)
O clímax visual desta cena é ilidido pela chaleira que lá dentro tem a água para o chá pronta(mise-en-scene representativa). Quando esta volta é outro par que vê/vemos: jack e o seu chefe. Começa aqui uma longa série de voyuerismos mais ou menos inóquos, na carreira de Hitchcock.
Também movimento circular é o facto de Bob ter ganho Nelly num combate e Jack ter de fazer ouro combate para a reconquistar. Uma das melhores sequências do filme é o casamento, em jeito de farsa, (sequência que vem de um plano de uma tenda de circo) e a boda. Os convidados são estranhos(gémeos siameses, anões), o padrinho perde as alianças e substitui-a por um botão (afinal tem esse valor). No plano em que põe a aliança, cai-lhe a pulseira do outra, invasiva, pelo braço abaixo. Na boda, interessante a escolha do ponto de vista final do convidado bêbado. Ponto de vista esse que tem tanto de visionário como de destorcido, do lado do sonho hipnótico.
Até ao final do filme Jack ascende em meta decidida a voltar a combater BOB. Isso é-nos dado pelos cartazes onde o nome de Jack vai subindo.
Depois, a cena da espera de Nelly, com Jack em sua casa com os seus amigos para lhe dar a notícia da vitória no combate no campeonato. As borbulhas do champagne a desvanecerem-se, as outras pessoas no elevador lá fora, o plano picado da mulher a despedir-se de alguém, que nós já conhecemos.
E por fim, o combate final, o tirateimas masculino que transcende o amor e o boxe: da ordem da honra. A batalha final, a primeira vista por inteiro, é um exercício de tensão em crescendo: com o relógio, a campainha, as acelerações do público , as quedas, as palmas, as idas aos cantos. Sempre sem grandes planos mas sem nos poupar a um lirismo final, o seu resultado é a vitória cheia de animo de Jack, visto que a mulher mudou de lado, o encantamento quebrou-se Mas trata-se de uma vitória não vista em GP, cheio de ênfase dramático, mas com uma secura das coisas simples e com naturalidade, que apenas assim são: o picado sereno e não planos aproximados da derrota de Bob.
August 31, 2008
Entertaining silient, mainly for the Hitchcock fan.
½ August 31, 2008
Hitchcock's best silent, in my opinion.
August 31, 2008
Without exaggeration one of the finest silent dramas ever made, from any period. Atypical Hitchcock (at least, by the standards of the kinds of films he later became famous for), this boxing melodrama shows Hitchcock's skill in taking a rather unremarkable story and telling it brilliantly with his incredible style and eye for visuals (of all Hitchcock's films, this one is probably the most clearly inspired by his time spent in the German studios and the influence of German Expressionism).
August 31, 2008
Watchable hitchcock silent takes us into the world of boxing. Nothing too special yet from the master but its interesting to have an idea of every movie hitchcock ever made!