Swiss Family Robinson Reviews

• Nov 14, 2020

So the 1960s movie is like one of my most favorite films from childhood. With Disney+ I didn't even know that this movie existed. Well I bet this is probably closer to the book but I'm not sure I liked it. The father was creepy and the mom was just blah in this version.

• Jul 26, 2020

I cried many times during the film. It was excellent!

I cried many times during the film. It was excellent!

• Jun 26, 2020

I thought I'd give this a watch before watching the Disney remake, given they are both on the latter's streaming service. I like 1940's 'Swiss Family Robinson', though there are many ways it could be improved upon which is what I hope the 1960 production does. This one, made by RKO Pictures, is enjoyable. The action sequences look decent enough, the acting is solid while the premise is very intriguing. I rate the film almost from start-to-finish, the moments which make up that last part disappoints unfortunately - the ending doesn't really make sense. Thomas Mitchell (William) and Freddie Bartholomew (Jack) are my standout characters, both of those two give good performances. Edna Best & Co. are all fine, though. It's with Best's character that makes the finale poor in my eyes. I won't spoil what happens, but it doesn't work in my opinion - especially in connection with what else occurs. Those criticisms of mine stop me from placing this higher. However, it is still an entertaining flick from 1940.

• Mar 06, 2020

Ambitious, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 1960 version in terms of outright entertainment.

• Nov 17, 2019

Well, if your having trouble sleeping, 'Swiss Family Robinson (1940)' will send you right to sleep.