Three Colors: Red (Trois couleurs: Rouge) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Colors: Red (Trois couleurs: Rouge) Reviews

½ January 21, 2017
Aestethically beautiful, emotionally engaging, and thought-provoking. Red is the perfect culmination to the Kieslowski's ambitious trilogy, and it's a masterpiece on its own right.
January 12, 2017
Kieslowski and his muse Irene Jacob made some of the most beautiful, thought-provoking art in the 1990s. This one deals with voyeurism, guilt, love, and of course, fate.
January 9, 2017
The way several people's lives all run parallel and intersect at one point or another is incredibly realistic and believable thanks to outstanding performances. The film is truly touching and extremely emotional, the trilogy as a whole is something really special.
½ December 24, 2016
The last and most remarkable film in Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy is this warm and beautiful depiction of solidarity and fraternity (symbolized by the color red in the French flag), with excellent performances and bringing the trilogy to a wonderful, haunting conclusion.
November 9, 2016
A strong end to the trilogy. Wonderful.
November 1, 2016
Like the previous two films in the Three Colors trilogy, Red is engrossing and unpredictable. The three stories are only loosely connected at the seams, but with this film, I think I understand the thematic connection between the three films--life is random and strangers can cross paths in ironic ways without realizing it. Each film is tremendous on its own, but as a trilogy, they are better than the sums of their parts.
September 8, 2016
As the enchanting final chapter to the extraordinary Three Colors trilogy, Red is a beautiful, magnificent, complex film about life, coincidence, and connection.
August 16, 2016
A true masterpiece on a forgotten concept after fall of Berlin Wall: "Fraternity".
April 28, 2016
Masterfully directed this wonderful film is a must for fans of auteur cinema from Kieslowski, a unique genius who left much too soon. This is a gorgeously shot film, the story is very different and unique by it's tone and characters so well written and acted by some amazing performers.
Thi is a must see.
December 18, 2015
A magnificent conclusion to the Three Colors trilogy. Definitely the best of the three.
December 13, 2015
The best and last of the three colours trilogy. This one does have some nice quirks to it and a scene that brings the three films together which is rather unexpected. Good story and very nicely made.
November 19, 2015
The concept of interconnected lives throughout the trilogy is an intriguing one, but this one didn't live up to the one that precedes it. It's a great wrap up for the group of films, and the ending was an interesting revelation than made you think about them in a different light.
½ September 30, 2015
Although the end fell a little flat for me, Red is still a stunning film that examines the most complex ideas of the trilogy. The scenes between Jacob and Trintignant ask the basic questions of what is right and how are we connected, both examining the brotherhood of man (personhood of humans?) at it's core. They each come away from their unexpected friendship for the better, redeemed if you will.
August 7, 2015
This is one of my favorite movies. It is very well crafted and has a very interesting story and general idea. Its also well played and executed. Is full of art elements which its impossible to not notice. And sepecial effects like beautiful zoom-ins and zoom-outs. Even after 20 years it still stays interesting and one of the best for audience.
Irene Jacob is playing a beautiful soul so that she keeps you on your chair for the entire movie. The story and the way it was told is very interesting and engaging.
August 1, 2015
Krzysztof Kieslowski's final entry in his renowned Three Colors trilogy is a film so astounding that he, then in his early 50s, retired after completing it. Perhaps he knew he'd never equal it. Kieslowski's color-coded trilogy worked through the colors of the French flag (if he'd picked South Africa, he'd still be making it), rooting each film in France's national motto liberté, égalité, fraternité, and stuffing them chock full of universal themes. And all the tantalizing hints of a connection between the films led to this. Three Colors: Red takes its tale of a model's curious friendship with a retired-judge-turned voyeur, interlocking lives and loves, the nature of chance and the unlikelihood of happiness and masks it in a hypnotically ravishing aura of aching melancholy, silky-smooth camerawork, enrapturing characterization and lots and lots of red cinematography. It's a staggeringly beautiful, eloquent, preternatural, out-of-body experience that, if you revel in the challenge of mastering a film's dynamic traits and metaphors, peeling back the layers before finding the film's true nature, you will fall head over heels for.
July 29, 2015
Completed the "Three Colors Trilogy"with this brilliant film which i hadn't seen since it was first released. It greatly impacted me, thought I loved "Blue" this might be the best film of the series. the stories in all 3 films are excellent, but I found the color palette, cinematography, and especially the music absolutely amazing in this one. It looks great on blu-ray. I give my highest recommendation for the "Three Colors Trilogy" a whole, and this film in particular.
½ July 12, 2015
anybody who likes an extremely beautiful woman (irene jacob) who tops her looks with her incredible acting ability will want to see this third installment in the "three colors" trilogy. kieslowski directs.
July 7, 2015
As the final film in the Three Colors trilogy, Red closes the series in rapture. One of the most 'otherworldly' experiences I've ever had while watching a film. I found myself unexpectedly laughing with tears in my eyes. With its wholly unique story, pitch perfect acting, heart aching soundtrack and eye for beauty (beauty, beauty everywhere), I highly recommend the series, if for nothing more than to watch it's wonderful conclusion.
½ June 30, 2015
8.5/10
The movie was very good and very interesting, and being the last one of the trilogy, it had to be very good. Irene Jacob and her timeless beauty was great as her character that simply radiated goodness. But the story and how the plot unraveled was very interesting and it kept you very involved. Also the use of the color red, was very powerful and impactful. Thus, I strongly intend to watch it again, because I felt lie I missed something important. But also because it is a great movie that probably need more than one view to see whatever detail you missed.
~June 29, 2015~