L'Enfer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

L'Enfer Reviews

½ September 17, 2008
Possibly Emmanuelle Beart's best performance. Francois Cluzet is excellent also as the hyper-jealous husband who may or may not have something to worry about.
July 18, 2008
A movie to see over and over again!!!
July 2, 2008
sans fin xd
chabrol kills me
½ February 29, 2008
The film follows Paul's perhaps self-destruction of his seemingly perfect life with Nelly, as jealously and hallucinations take control. Emmanuelle BĂ©art is perfect as Nelly, with her ability to switch from innocent to adulterous with a toss of her hair and a shake of her hips. The viewer sometimes feels unsure what is reality, and what is Paul's hallucination, just as Paul does. It is unsettling, it is gripping and above all well acted and should be seen.
February 4, 2008
I watched this thinkin it was the other Beart film called L'Enfer too. It wasn't very good. I don't think any of the themes stuck. But I'm a slut for Beart.
February 1, 2008
2nd viewing. Hmmm... jealousy, paranoia, madness. Just who is to blame? So-so story, great ending. A must see for all EB fans tho, she does prance around in her black lingerie for a few moments lol.
January 28, 2008
Les affres de la jalousie, ici du point de vue de la maladie qui affecte le héros, sublimement décrites par un Chabrol exquis !
L'enfer c'est la jalousie, mais c surtout "les autres" et soi-mĂŞme...
January 25, 2008
Slow, dull, and far too forced. I didn't care for the characters or the situations they were in.
December 29, 2007
Les premiers rushs de la version que voulait faire Clouzot sont pas mal non plus mais la version de Chabrol est vraiment magnifique, un de ces meilleurs films.
December 12, 2007
I preferred la Fille coupé en deux
November 23, 2007
Confusingly, the is the first of two (completely unrelated) films Emmanuele Béart has been in to be called L'Enfer or Hell. If this is half as good as the second one then it'll be worth a watch...
October 26, 2007
Another great Chabrol film!
October 9, 2007
Un des plus grand Chabrol. On n'a jamais traité le thème de la jalousie de façon aussi brillante au cinéma.
October 7, 2007
One of my favorite Claude Chabrol films. Emmanuelle Beart is stunning...she's probably the only reason why I like this film so much.
½ September 30, 2007
Excellent all round mental pain drama with outstanding work by the ever beautiful Beart.
September 25, 2007
have you ever been psychotically jealous? Marianne (Emmanuelle BĂ©art) made poor Eduoard suffer terrible, and terrible Edouard sent the perfect wife Marianne...well we never find out - it has a dream-scape ending.
½ September 21, 2007
yeah this is a classic again! there seems to be so many good french movies out there that just arent or havent got the exposure they deserve. Francois cluzet is excellent as the jealous husband who at first appears completly normal but eventually descends into insanity. Opposite him is emmanuelle beart, a charming french girl who gets all the hearts racing with the wave of her skirt...he assumes she is having an affair and builds up stories in his head which eventually drive him to despair...
August 13, 2007
I seriously couldn't finish watching this movie. Brrr...
August 5, 2007
The study of a man's paranoid descent into madness.
July 25, 2007
An interesting take on the events leading up to the mental breakdown of a man. Emmanuelle Beart is brilliant in an ambiguous role, and can appear to be innocent or alluring at a flick of a switch. Cluzet is also great as the tormented husband. Just like the husband, the viewer is uncertain about certain events. The thing that spoilt it for me was the unrealistic actions of a doctor following an incident. Shame because the rest of it was very well done.