Heavyweights (Heavy Weights) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heavyweights (Heavy Weights) Reviews

December 28, 2016
I feel like this is some kind of "classic" amongst "my generation", but I've never really thought this was very funny or worth watching more than once. But I have... always at the suggestion of someone else... man I sound pretentious... I mean look at me.. sitting on the toilet, smoking a pipe at eleven o clock at night on a Wednesday, criticizing a Disney movie that came out over 20 years ago..... Such is the life of the internet and modern human. It's cool seeing Kenan though.
December 24, 2016
This is an awesome coming of age movie. Tony Perkis rocks!
December 3, 2016
4 Stars
Disney presents a co-written film by Judd Apatow in Heavyweights. Gerald Gardner (Aaron Schwartz) is ready to have a great relaxing summer with his friends. Much to his chagrin, he finds out his parents are sending him to a fat camp. Despite his protests, he makes some friends which include friends Roy (Keenan Thompson), Josh (Shaun Weiss) and counselor Pat (Tom McGowan). They all insist he is about to have a great summer and introduce him to the camp, the go-carts, and the blob which catapults them into the lake.

Just as he is ready to settle in the owners (Anne Meary and Jerry Stiller), announce they are no longer the owners, and they are turning it over to a new owner Tony Perkis (Ben Stiller). Perkis is determined to whip the kids into shape, and make a new infomercial off the camp. The only problem is he has no idea how to interact or motivate with kids in any other manner aside from cruelty and by isolating and demeaning them for being fat. What was going to be the best summer, turns out to be the worst as they continued to be tortured by the new staff, and the all pro sports league across the lake.

Heavyweights is a pretty funny comedy. The film does not rely on cruel fat jokes, but has quite a few entertaining one liners, and dialogue interactions between the characters. All of the characters are realistic and relatable, particularly with regards to Gerald, Roy, Josh and Pat. Stiller plays one of his crazy psychotic characters that was first for its time, but would be replicated later by Dodgeball among a few other films. Heavyweights would never be made by Disney today, as it is by no means politically correct. Many will find the movie too goofy, slapstick, or even offensive, but I thought the film had good characters, intentions that make the film one of the great Disney comedies from the 90s.

-12.1.2016
½ December 3, 2016
So, it's like if Wet Hot American Summer was a family movie that was about a fat camp run by Derek Zoolander. What's not to like about that scenario?
½ November 22, 2016
Is it just me or does Ben Stiller's character in this movie remind me of his character in Dodgeball? He's obviously dumber in Dodgeball than he is here, but, essentially, they're somewhat the same character. Fitness freaks who obsess about their image. I don't have a problem with that, since I found Ben Stiller to be entertaining in this role as well as in Dodgeball. Obviously, his character is way over the top in both movies and that definitely adds to the entertainment factor. With that said, as far as this movie goes, time has definitely been kinder to this than I probably would have anticipated. Not trying to say that it's good but, given what this film was about, I expected it to be considerably worse than what it actually was. I knew beforehand this is a movie that Judd Apatow co-wrote with Steven Brill (who also directed). So maybe that played a part in my open-mindedness towards it. There's some obvious inspired bits in the movie, which I'd like to attribute to Judd, but I wouldn't actually know which bits were his and which were Steve's. But, if I'm being honest, this movie just isn't anything more than just OK at worst and average at best. And that's really the most difficult thing about this review so far. Deciding whether to give it 2 or 2.5 stars. Part of me feels that this is a better movie than 2 stars, but when I go for 2.5 it also seems too high. I guess we'll see as the review goes on. I think part of the problem with this is the fact that it wants to be a spoof of fitness gurus, but, to me, in order to really go all out with that concept, the jokes would have to be far more mean-spirited than they were here. And I'm not saying I would necessarily agree with that mean-spirited approach, but it needed that edge that was necessary for it to feel like it was actually spoofing these obsessive fitness gurus. But, the fact of the matter is, that this movie being released under Disney's umbrella, that was gonna be impossible, so this is what we got. That's not to say they don't get some humor out of it, but the family friendly approach to characters and the fat camp pretty much put the kibosh on the edgy humor. Part of me was disappointed in the fact that the character of Lars didn't get a bigger role in the proceedings. He was the only character who consistently entertained me and it was a shame that he didn't get more screen time. Again, the character is absurd and over-the-top, but Tom Hodges' performance made it fun. The story is pretty basic. These kids go to a fat camp that's actually pretty fun, but when the owners are forced to sell the camp to Tony Perkis, the guru, he turns it into a way to sell an infomercial video. His demands are strict and he withholds meals from the kids if they don't achieve the goals he sets for them. So the kids decide to fight back and take back the camp. Fairly simple, straightforward stuff in all honesty. But the film has a light, sorry for the pun, tone which certainly helps in making the film seem slightly more enjoyable than it is. Like I said earlier, this isn't a bad movie at all. It's just one that has some limitations place upon it because of it being released under the Disney umbrella, but it's not a bad movie in the slightest. And, as I also said, time has been kind to this movie. I can imagine seeing this movie in 95 and I probably would have not enjoyed it in the slightest. Honestly, I feel comfortable giving this 2.5 stars. It's likely that I'm being way too considerate, but I didn't hate this at all. And parts of me, in spite of its silliness and its inconsistent comedic tone, enjoyed it as something goofy. I can't recommend it, but I didn't hate this movie at all. Average at best.
November 16, 2016
8.0/10

The G rated version of Dodgeball
October 31, 2016
the greatest role for Ben Stiller to date
September 24, 2016
It's a great movie. The story is fun and entertaining. Ben Stiller does a great job. There may be some nostalgia raising this eating, but I really like it.
½ July 16, 2016
Ben Stiller's part is extraordinary. This is a childhood favorite, but still a bad movie.
½ March 25, 2016
Hilarious old kid comedy. Hadn't seen it in 17 years. One of the first Stiller movies I watched and didn't realize it's Ben until years later.
March 14, 2016
It's such guilty pleasure for me that it's hard to call it a bad movie. You can tell that the cast and crew were having so much fun making it and that adds to the movie's charm. The kids are likable, the counselors are likable, the character of Lars is a laugh riot, and Ben Stiller as Tony is one of the best over the top renditions of a health crazed maniac. I've never been to summer camp, but this what I've always pictured it being like (minus the whole being-taken-over-by-an-evil-personal-trainer thing)

Yeah, it's cheesy, corny, and many of the jokes don't hit bullseye, but it's a great nostalgia trip and when the jokes work they really work. It's one of those 90s cult classics that the internet always seems to miss on it's raider, and it's a shame. The fact that there's barely any memes of Lars, gifs of Paul Feig dancing, Camp Hope or Perkisizing t-shirts, or websites dedicated to user submitted things that happened to Josh when he disappeared is very disappointing.
March 9, 2016
Reviews like this are why I sometimes don't trust RT. This movie is amazing.
½ March 4, 2016
A very cheesy fat camp comedy with a weak cast made up of small time actors who you recognise from the odd role in similarly bad 80's comedies. The only surprise is Ben Stiller, although he's quite bad in this.
½ February 2, 2016
Interesting to see so much talent that grew up to do better things, but mostly just an average comedy from Disney that doesn't leave much of an impression.
January 5, 2016
Not the greatest, but it's still a solid watch due to Ben Stillers character.
December 13, 2015
Best movie ever made
July 7, 2015
come here you devil logggg
½ July 7, 2015
Probably Ben Stiller's best performance and one of the funniest movies a kid could watch. The humor isn't so childish either that you can watch this movie multiple times growing up and even as an adult (I have). I think what helps make the movie work so well is that the kids are written to act like children. Not movie children where they're innocent and sweet. No, they act like real boys that age. They curse, fart, and tease each other. Some people may see the movie as cruel, but I think the humor is lighthearted enough and doesn't treat it as if being fat is a bad thing. Of course the kids are the butt of the jokes, but that's how life is in general and it's not just a fat thing. Kids are always teased and joked on, especially by adults and that is portrayed nicely here.

It's not like this is some brilliant comedy. The acting isn't even that great, especially with some of the kids. But it's just such a fun movie and a nostalgic trip. Kids would love this movie.
July 5, 2015
As a movie, it's a pretty sloppy movie. As a kids movie, it's perfectly enjoyable. I found myself enjoying this movie about a fat camp. It's not going to make kids dumb, it will just pass the time. The characters are entertaining, singling out Thompson, Stiller, and Hodges, but I wouldn't expect A+ acting. Overall, it's a fun movie, and definitely not terrible. 6.5/10
½ July 2, 2015
Classic and nostalgic for me. I think it's an enjoyable family flick.