Heavyweights (Heavy Weights) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heavyweights (Heavy Weights) Reviews

½ September 2, 2017
I watched this for a friend. It has its moments, but was still not a complete comedy.
½ August 8, 2017
I think this is one of those times where I will have to agree with the critics. Although, I feel the critics were too harsh on this movie. It has some decent moments but it's not one of those comedies that sticks out from the rest. It could be that I didn't watch this when I was younger. So now that I'm older I don't like it as much. Who knows...I just found it very AVERAGE. 2.5/5 OR 5/10
½ July 17, 2017
A silly, dumb but somewhat fun Disney film. The premise is simple but effective, the casting is solid (Ben Stiller in a typical Ben Stiller role) and the humor is at middle school level. Definitely a film that children of all ages can enjoy.
½ June 20, 2017
This movie shows that you don't have to be skinny or good looking to be awesome. I really enjoyed this film. It's about teamwork, having fun, and just enjoying yourself.
June 10, 2017
What is this??? Deli meats???? Amazing
½ June 9, 2017
This movie is so frakkin funny! It's got two of the Mighty Ducks, Carp and Goldberg. Stiller is hilarious and so is the German counselor. "Don't pee in the water. Don't DRINK THE WATER!! He peed in it."
½ May 27, 2017
The critics hate Steven Brill as much as filmmakers hate critics. This film is full of the 90s actors that filled those roles in other films but they created high concept ideas. Heavyweights falls to the side with a lot of clichà (C) disney family storytelling but it's the first and second third that stop this from being overly boring. Ben Stiller is the saving grace of the film, a role he essentially repeated for Dodge ball. Disney tried some out there concepts and this is one of them, it's a shame it never struck a cord with audiences because this is a good film. The conventional happy ending is tiresome but another studio might have stopped that, Disney must have family moments. This is a cult film from my kid hood which I just rewatched with my niece, still holds up. 27-05-2017.
March 29, 2017
One of my absolute favorites
½ March 8, 2017
Heavyweights is fun and sends good message about accepting who you are, but still working to be better.
February 17, 2017
November 11th 2010
May 22nd 2014
February 17th 2017
½ January 28, 2017
While I grew up in the 90s and saw plenty of the bad kids movies that came out at that time, I never saw this one. My wife and I were looking for something funny, and she said this was one of her regulars as a kid, so we gave it a whirl. It isn't really a good movie...but for cheesy fun...it's alright. If you, like me, are a 90s kid...and you want to see something that really represents that cheesy 90s kids movie flair, this will get the job done. But don't get me wrong...not really a good movie.
December 28, 2016
I feel like this is some kind of "classic" amongst "my generation", but I've never really thought this was very funny or worth watching more than once. But I have... always at the suggestion of someone else... man I sound pretentious... I mean look at me.. sitting on the toilet, smoking a pipe at eleven o clock at night on a Wednesday, criticizing a Disney movie that came out over 20 years ago..... Such is the life of the internet and modern human. It's cool seeing Kenan though.
December 24, 2016
This is an awesome coming of age movie. Tony Perkis rocks!
December 3, 2016
4 Stars
Disney presents a co-written film by Judd Apatow in Heavyweights. Gerald Gardner (Aaron Schwartz) is ready to have a great relaxing summer with his friends. Much to his chagrin, he finds out his parents are sending him to a fat camp. Despite his protests, he makes some friends which include friends Roy (Keenan Thompson), Josh (Shaun Weiss) and counselor Pat (Tom McGowan). They all insist he is about to have a great summer and introduce him to the camp, the go-carts, and the blob which catapults them into the lake.

Just as he is ready to settle in the owners (Anne Meary and Jerry Stiller), announce they are no longer the owners, and they are turning it over to a new owner Tony Perkis (Ben Stiller). Perkis is determined to whip the kids into shape, and make a new infomercial off the camp. The only problem is he has no idea how to interact or motivate with kids in any other manner aside from cruelty and by isolating and demeaning them for being fat. What was going to be the best summer, turns out to be the worst as they continued to be tortured by the new staff, and the all pro sports league across the lake.

Heavyweights is a pretty funny comedy. The film does not rely on cruel fat jokes, but has quite a few entertaining one liners, and dialogue interactions between the characters. All of the characters are realistic and relatable, particularly with regards to Gerald, Roy, Josh and Pat. Stiller plays one of his crazy psychotic characters that was first for its time, but would be replicated later by Dodgeball among a few other films. Heavyweights would never be made by Disney today, as it is by no means politically correct. Many will find the movie too goofy, slapstick, or even offensive, but I thought the film had good characters, intentions that make the film one of the great Disney comedies from the 90s.

-12.1.2016
½ December 3, 2016
So, it's like if Wet Hot American Summer was a family movie that was about a fat camp run by Derek Zoolander. What's not to like about that scenario?
½ November 22, 2016
Is it just me or does Ben Stiller's character in this movie remind me of his character in Dodgeball? He's obviously dumber in Dodgeball than he is here, but, essentially, they're somewhat the same character. Fitness freaks who obsess about their image. I don't have a problem with that, since I found Ben Stiller to be entertaining in this role as well as in Dodgeball. Obviously, his character is way over the top in both movies and that definitely adds to the entertainment factor. With that said, as far as this movie goes, time has definitely been kinder to this than I probably would have anticipated. Not trying to say that it's good but, given what this film was about, I expected it to be considerably worse than what it actually was. I knew beforehand this is a movie that Judd Apatow co-wrote with Steven Brill (who also directed). So maybe that played a part in my open-mindedness towards it. There's some obvious inspired bits in the movie, which I'd like to attribute to Judd, but I wouldn't actually know which bits were his and which were Steve's. But, if I'm being honest, this movie just isn't anything more than just OK at worst and average at best. And that's really the most difficult thing about this review so far. Deciding whether to give it 2 or 2.5 stars. Part of me feels that this is a better movie than 2 stars, but when I go for 2.5 it also seems too high. I guess we'll see as the review goes on. I think part of the problem with this is the fact that it wants to be a spoof of fitness gurus, but, to me, in order to really go all out with that concept, the jokes would have to be far more mean-spirited than they were here. And I'm not saying I would necessarily agree with that mean-spirited approach, but it needed that edge that was necessary for it to feel like it was actually spoofing these obsessive fitness gurus. But, the fact of the matter is, that this movie being released under Disney's umbrella, that was gonna be impossible, so this is what we got. That's not to say they don't get some humor out of it, but the family friendly approach to characters and the fat camp pretty much put the kibosh on the edgy humor. Part of me was disappointed in the fact that the character of Lars didn't get a bigger role in the proceedings. He was the only character who consistently entertained me and it was a shame that he didn't get more screen time. Again, the character is absurd and over-the-top, but Tom Hodges' performance made it fun. The story is pretty basic. These kids go to a fat camp that's actually pretty fun, but when the owners are forced to sell the camp to Tony Perkis, the guru, he turns it into a way to sell an infomercial video. His demands are strict and he withholds meals from the kids if they don't achieve the goals he sets for them. So the kids decide to fight back and take back the camp. Fairly simple, straightforward stuff in all honesty. But the film has a light, sorry for the pun, tone which certainly helps in making the film seem slightly more enjoyable than it is. Like I said earlier, this isn't a bad movie at all. It's just one that has some limitations place upon it because of it being released under the Disney umbrella, but it's not a bad movie in the slightest. And, as I also said, time has been kind to this movie. I can imagine seeing this movie in 95 and I probably would have not enjoyed it in the slightest. Honestly, I feel comfortable giving this 2.5 stars. It's likely that I'm being way too considerate, but I didn't hate this at all. And parts of me, in spite of its silliness and its inconsistent comedic tone, enjoyed it as something goofy. I can't recommend it, but I didn't hate this movie at all. Average at best.
November 16, 2016
8.0/10

The G rated version of Dodgeball
October 31, 2016
the greatest role for Ben Stiller to date
September 24, 2016
It's a great movie. The story is fun and entertaining. Ben Stiller does a great job. There may be some nostalgia raising this eating, but I really like it.
½ July 16, 2016
Ben Stiller's part is extraordinary. This is a childhood favorite, but still a bad movie.