Heavyweights (Heavy Weights) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heavyweights (Heavy Weights) Reviews

½ March 4, 2016
A very cheesy fat camp comedy with a weak cast made up of small time actors who you recognise from the odd role in similarly bad 80's comedies. The only surprise is Ben Stiller, although he's quite bad in this.
½ February 2, 2016
Interesting to see so much talent that grew up to do better things, but mostly just an average comedy from Disney that doesn't leave much of an impression.
January 5, 2016
Not the greatest, but it's still a solid watch due to Ben Stillers character.
December 13, 2015
Best movie ever made
July 7, 2015
come here you devil logggg
½ July 7, 2015
Probably Ben Stiller's best performance and one of the funniest movies a kid could watch. The humor isn't so childish either that you can watch this movie multiple times growing up and even as an adult (I have). I think what helps make the movie work so well is that the kids are written to act like children. Not movie children where they're innocent and sweet. No, they act like real boys that age. They curse, fart, and tease each other. Some people may see the movie as cruel, but I think the humor is lighthearted enough and doesn't treat it as if being fat is a bad thing. Of course the kids are the butt of the jokes, but that's how life is in general and it's not just a fat thing. Kids are always teased and joked on, especially by adults and that is portrayed nicely here.

It's not like this is some brilliant comedy. The acting isn't even that great, especially with some of the kids. But it's just such a fun movie and a nostalgic trip. Kids would love this movie.
July 5, 2015
As a movie, it's a pretty sloppy movie. As a kids movie, it's perfectly enjoyable. I found myself enjoying this movie about a fat camp. It's not going to make kids dumb, it will just pass the time. The characters are entertaining, singling out Thompson, Stiller, and Hodges, but I wouldn't expect A+ acting. Overall, it's a fun movie, and definitely not terrible. 6.5/10
½ July 2, 2015
Classic and nostalgic for me. I think it's an enjoyable family flick.
May 25, 2015
Best part of this film, is Ben Stiller's role! he is hilarious!
April 30, 2015
A personal favorite. For all the chipmunks out there!
April 19, 2015
Alright, what's going on here, huh? Who's Seymor butts? C'mon, who's Seymor Butts? Who's Seymor Butts? Josh-No one see's more butts than you do uncle Tony. Priceless!
March 23, 2015
I enjoyed it, it wasn't great, but I enjoyed it.
February 23, 2015
There are certain movies you have to see at a young age, otherwise you won't like them. I watched my girlfriend's VHS copy of Heavyweights today for the first time, and I see why so many of my friends love it. It's a quirky, funny movie with a lot of great bits and performances. There are some slow parts, but it's not overly schmaltzy and most of the humor works.
It helps to have a bunch of hilarious people involved with the making of it. Judd Apatow wrote it, and Ben Stiller kills it as the lunatic camp instructor. Remember the skinny dork who dances, Tim? That's Paul Feig, the future director of the All-Lady Ghostbusters. Plus, it's directed by Marc Maron's life-long frenimy Steve Brill. 20 years later all these guys are all still working.
The best part is the message of this movie, about personal responsibility and positive reinforcement. Also, fat kids falling down and farting, that bit always works.
½ December 17, 2014
A childhood classic to me.
½ September 22, 2014
An absolute classic. Ben Stillers role is incredible
½ September 3, 2014
It ages like a fine-wine. "Attention campers. Lunch has been cancelled due to lack of hustle. Deal with it."
August 16, 2014
(First viewing - Childhood)
August 14, 2014
This is one of the funniest kids movies ever. It brings me back to when I was a kid. Ben stiller is so funny in this. Great supporting cast.
July 18, 2014
Fun kids movie.. Love Ben Stiller. An early version of White Goodman in Dodgeball
July 1, 2014
Entertaining, nostalgic fluff that legitimately holds up; even if only as something tolerable.