The Queen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Queen Reviews

½ February 11, 2014
An utterly fascinating artefact of the drag scene from almost 50 years before RuPaul's Drag Race.
½ February 25, 2007
I haven't seen Letters. I believe Little Miss Sunshine will win, though I hope to see The Departed get the gold.
February 11, 2007
not as good as the remake but it was ok
½ October 20, 2006
[center][/center]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]For the British people, tradition begins and ends at Buckingham palace. Her name is Elizabeth Regina, Queen Elizabeth II, and she is the very proper and very elegant Mother of England. The year is 1997, one year after the overly-popularPrincess Diana had the temerity to divorce the Queen?s son. In punishment, Diana is stripped of her royal titles. Then, horrible news strikes the palace. Diana is dead after a car accident in Paris under the Place de L?alma underpass. This event and the Queen?s reaction to it will threaten the very monarchy itself, rocking centuries of tradition to its foundation. [/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]Modernity and tradition are personified in the forms of Tony Blair (Michael Sheen) and Elizabeth II (Helen Mirren)[b].[/b] The queen, deep rooted in tradition and royalty, demands for herself and her family a private mourning process and states that the funeral of Diana will remain private. The question is whether the Queen will acquiesce to the demands of the people for a few very-public tears. An ironic question indeed, seeing as up until this point in her life, she was the very model of all that was proper and correct in her country[b]. [/b]Through the film we see the world through the queen?s eye[b]. [/b]We do her make-up with her, watch her as she struggles to preserve tradition and order in the land. At times she is terribly ordinary. Our idealisti[b]c[/b] perceptions of royalty are shattered as we see that she ismore than a queen who sits on a gold throne all day but rather a complex, thought-provoking woman. [/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]A woman who alsodeserves an Oscar. Helen Mirren embodies Elizabeth II. It isn?t only her physical appearance, but her movement and expression. Mirren displays tradition in every wrinkle of her face. It stems from the confident, unwavering stare that echoes a thousand years of upbringing. She?s brilliant and wonderful. Many actors are called to the strenuous task of depicting a character from life, but few prevail with such perfection and I believe Elizabeth herself would surely be impressed. Mirren isn?t the only actor who delivers excellent work. Frears and his team picked an award-winning cast to bring life to a kingdom that seems so distant. [/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]Stephen Frears has a history with the topic of British class, having directed ?Prick up Your Ears,? ?My Beautiful Launderette? and other films examining the often-unseen worlds contained within Britain. It comes as no surprise that the film maker tackles another work indicative of his homeland, and it is with grace and dignity that he breathes life into a new masterpiece.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]Peter Morgan?s intriguing script, ?The Queen? is, simply put, wonderful. With a background in TV writing, Morgan swiftly and stylishly transitions to a film writer that hopefully, for cinema?s sake, won?t stop here. His narrative is cohesive, consistent, understandable, and enlightening. In fact, this may very well be the year of Peter Morgan, with his upcoming film, ?The Last King of Scotland? and the successful London production of his play, ?Nixon/Frost? slated for Broadway. [/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]?The Queen? is an important film. This film will be talked about twenty and thirty years from now, because the death of Diana will always be talked about as an important and tragic time in history. What a thought-provoking movie[b].[/b] A moment that still resonates with me was when the queen finally decides to talk to the public about the death of Diana. She first goes to the front of the palace to read some of the notes and pictures amongst the mountains of fresh flowers. Though people are angry with her, as she turns to address her subjects she still receives bows as she walks past them. She bends to? child holding flowers and asks ?Would you like me to place those for you?? The little girl says ?no? and we think we?ve witnessed something horrible, the Queen being rejected by one of her subjects. Then the girl continues, ?These flowers are for you.? What a moment. A country angered at the queen?s delay still finds comfort in her watch. The respect her subjects show is immediate, they love her. She is their icon, Their Mother, their Grandmother and their guide. The love is restored. The monarchy, for now, is safe. [/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]All in all, ?The Queen? is quite simply the best film I?ve seen all year and will be present the Oscars. There?s really nothing bad to say about it at all. You?ll walk out of the theater perplexed and awed at it?s flawlessness[b]. [/b][/font][/size]