Anne of Green Gables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anne of Green Gables Reviews

½ April 21, 2013
loved the book but this movie is not as good as the book, not even close. but its ok.
February 24, 2013
The epitome of my childhood.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
November 22, 2012
good version of this.
October 19, 2012
I'd love to see this version. I have only seen the one with Meghan Follows, which I love!!
June 28, 2012
I am going to pass on this.
½ June 8, 2012
A good, charming old-skool film. Although in black and white, it doesn't lose anything (except the distinction of Anne's ginger hair) so I wouldn't bother with the colour version. Anne Shirley / Dawn O'Day is great & really endears herself as an orphan with an eccentric way about her. The rest of the cast is good too & although not as tear provoking as others like it, it still offers a very worthy plot & there is interest to be had in how the characters develop (even if it is a bit cliche by today's standards).
April 19, 2012
doesnt seem interesting
March 23, 2011
lovvve this sequel. i cry in these!!!
March 11, 2011
A lame family drama by today's standards, but for the 30's this is an exception piece of commercial cinema.
½ February 27, 2011
Watched it in black & white - just what you sometimes need of a lazy Sunday afternoon.
½ October 19, 2010
i actually like this one
½ April 20, 2010
½ April 20, 2010
75/100. A sweet little film with the enthusiastic Anne Shirley ideally cast in the title role. Good supporting performances. It's a touching and well written film. Very entertaining. Interesting tidbit, actress Dawn O'Day changed her name to the character she played in this movie.
April 19, 2010
Love her. She is so cute and adventurous. Tell the story for a girl that grows up to be an intelegent and smart young women!
April 6, 2010
First things first, I have never read or seen any of the Anne Of Green Gables movies or TV specials or books or whatever until I saw this, the 1934 version starring Anne Shirley. So I'm approaching this, excuse my saying so, from a somewhat-outsider's point of view here.

For those unfamiliar, Anne Of Green Gables is the massively popular tale about an orphan who is sent to live with a brother / sister pair of farmers who are getting along in their years, who decide to adopt a boy so that he can be put to work in farming, as the male farmer in the household needs the help. I can imagine how that would go over if you put THAT on your adoption request today. Anyhow, instead of a boy, they get a girl, and that is, of course Anne.

We follow Anne throughout life as she goes from plunky little teenager to college student. We see her friends, suitors and somewhat-enemies come and go. The story itself is pretty formulaic actually, since this is geared towards little girls. I am not really sure of this, but from the looks of things, they seem to have compressed several of the books for the movies, as the film jumps a lot in her life from her, ahem, transitional years.

Of course, the person playing this role has to pull this role off, playing someone from 12 til about 18 or 19 or so. Anne Shirley had me fooled alright. It's a bit scary when I look back on it actually, how convinced I was that Anne was played by an actual 12 year old. Mind you, the part is played so ANNOYINGLY syrupy sweet that you just want to lock the kid up after a while. The MINUTE she appears on the screen, after being transferred from the orphanage, I predicted, and I was right, that Anne was going to be an annoying brat that would be a "Gee Willickers!" type of person and not be traumatized at all from the whole transfer from the asylum to her new home. As a matter of fact, one wonders if the asylum made the boy/girl mistake intentionally, just to unload Anne outta there lol.
October 21, 2009
Such an amazing movie!!
Love it!!!
Such a lovely movie, so recommend it to everyone.
LWOODS04
September 1, 2009
Not sure if this is the one, but I remember watching this movie or another like it in middle school. It was ok..
June 29, 2009
The epitome of my childhood.
½ April 18, 2009
one of the best movies i have ever wtatched