The Old Dark House Reviews

• Dec 17, 2020

1930s Voice: Doesn't hold up terribly well, you see? Not to my eye, not as far as I could tell.

• Oct 27, 2020

Check out my YouTube video about my top 10 favorite movies of the 1930s: https://youtu.be/JVRGgEJYE-A

• Sep 13, 2020

I ended up viewing this as I'm a big fan of The Invisible Man and the two Frankenstein movies directed by James Whale. As expected, the director once again does a solid job of balancing humor and horror here. There are no jump out of your seat frights here. The movie is more creepy than anything thanks to a battering rain storm, gothic abode, and the eccentricities of its residents. I wish they still made movies like this. Even if all of the jokes and exaggerated characters don't connect, the film manages to come off as witty. I'm tempted to give this another 1/2 star but, there were elements of the story that were a bit too forced to include an over-the-top romance and a character or two who were a bit too ridiculous for my liking. Overall though, this film is won't disappoint if you'd like to spend some time with an atmospheric classic!

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jan 29, 2020

James Whale directs this character-driven piece about travelers stranded off the beaten path in a weird old house with some serious history. It's not uninteresting, and the characters only seem outdated. Charles Laughton for instance, plays a regular businessman, and not the grotesque these works usually have him play. And the great Karloff? A grunting red herring from the moment we first see him.

• Jan 19, 2020

This creepy romantic comedy with light horror and a great cast (including Boris Karloff) feels like a classic short story from somewhere like Weird Tales. A trio of travelers get stuck in a mountain storm and have to spend the night in a gothic mansion with a ghoulish family of rich cretins and their booze-maniac servant. The characters warm themselves by the fire, share a few laughs, and a slowly sink into a plot of deepening tension. A series of surprises culminates in a great set piece as the final conflict plays out in an awesome fight. As for complaints, I thought the psychological terror presented early in the classic mirror scene would build to more than it did (the script maybe forgot about the female characters midway through). The movie also could have gone darker at the end, and serviced the major character arc better if it had.

• Jan 19, 2020

• Jan 18, 2020

Horror flicks made during The Great Depression are worthwhile if only as a history lesson.

• Oct 24, 2019

I can't believe how terrifying this movie is and the acting is superb. It truly is a masterpiece of horror and susp

• Oct 22, 2019

Very surprised in how much I enjoyed this early horror film...seems an early precursor to lots of other films, including The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, people showing up where they don't belong. Also, the true horror is how people of yesteryear treated the mentally ill.

• Oct 16, 2019

A new Halloween favorite, dripping with atmosphere and fun, with great performances. "Have a potato."