Mad Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mad Love Reviews

July 17, 2015
I enjoyed the Seattle setting, but I wish they would have polished the soundtrack a little to include more regional artists. It could have been a lot better. The story wasn't anything special, but it was watchable. (First and only viewing - 7/12/2015)
½ April 24, 2015
Barrymore's needy vulnerability is sad and that air raps like a noose around this movie's neck.
February 27, 2014
The same plot of this was used in the movie "Crazy/Beautiful" (2001)
November 17, 2013
Slow, but not horrible
June 4, 2013
just not mad enough, needs to get messier.
April 19, 2013
It's super cheesy, but Drew Barrymore is gorgeous and I love the 90s Seattle setting and the grunge rock sound track.
January 14, 2013
One of Drew Barrymore's star vehicles most of her fans will remember least (and for GOOD reason); anyone who did see this one back in the day may consider it the worst addition to the resume of both leads. As the dreary story of a studious high school student leaving everything he has worked for to run away with an attractive yet extremely annoying young woman is told in a fashion most will find completely off-putting, a waste of time is inevitable.
This standoffish story begins by introducing hunky Chris O'Donnell as a hard-working high school student with plenty of baggage, helping to raise his younger siblings along with his single father. He thinks (surprisingly) that he has met the woman of his dreams when Barrymore moves in nearby and he sees her occasionally at school. The affection he feels towards her clearly must be prevalent as she soon gets thrown into an insane asylum for her unacceptable behavior! Talk about a catch, huh? He then realizes his mission is to help her escape from the joint, go on a cross-country road trip and figure things out from there. Who cares if he has to leave his family, friends and promising future behind!
The appealing leads are wasted here in addition to the attractive rural filming locations. Barrymore may have been cast due to her rebellious reputation at the time or may have just been trying to keep her name in Hollywood. Yet, she and O'Donnell both would have been wise to avoid this project completely. Anyone looking for an appealing romantic comedy to watch on a Saturday night...this sure isn't it! Movie trivia buffs take note, O'Donnell and Barrymore also can be seen in Batman Forever, released the same year and Barrymore and Matthew Lillard (O'Donnell's friend) both starred in Scream the following year.
½ November 26, 2012
The chemistry was off the chart
September 14, 2012
~ Due to my own youthful rebellion, I connected with this film after my first viewing it. Bought & still watching today, as I continue to deal with my own battle of depression, Drew Barrymore's character 'Casey Roberts' acts so closely to that which I experience, at times, giving me the ability to watch & relate to another. And as a true actress, I believe that is exactly what Drew set out to do by taking this role. Thank you, Drew Barrymore!
½ August 3, 2012
Oh, how I miss the 90's movie scene!
½ July 23, 2012
MAD LOVE the title says it all! Drew was crazy in this film. I enjoyed all the craziness!
½ July 13, 2012
Extra points for featuring 7 year Bitch
½ May 23, 2012
Two teens fall in love one suffers from mental illness. Crazy love affair thats ends by doing the right thing.
April 13, 2012
Everytime she goes crazy, I see myself
March 6, 2012
a romance movie with Chris and Drew.
September 28, 2011
Casey Roberts:This is forever isn't?
Spoiler alert!
This movie is about a young woman who has a mental illness and falls in love with a guy that goes to her school. What I liked most about this movie was that it shows what real love is. Real love is sometimes letting someone go so that he/she may get the help they need. That is what Chris O'Donnell does in this movie. He lets Casey go so she can get better. It was probably hard for him but he loves her so much that he does it. I also liked the soundtrack in this movie-good music.
September 7, 2011
"They tried. But they just could not." Or was it? "I tried but it just was not."
½ September 7, 2011
Barrymore is a sexy and unconventional neighbor who contrasts with O' Donnell's conservative style. Then he discovers her wild ambitions mask the hurt inside. Barrymore upholds the family tradition of fine and complex portrayals....
July 6, 2011
another teenage love movie, that we girls from the 90's all loved... its a simple story with some grunge fragments that I enjoyed (since being settled in Seattle, it was the least they could do) :) well an old version of a crazy drew barrymore, I barely remembered this film.
½ May 17, 2011