Blue - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Reviews

½ July 15, 2015
Blue screen, and a lot of droning. Don't say I didn't warn you.
January 16, 2015
"The Gautama Buddha instructs me to walk away from illness. But he wasn't attached to a drip".
November 30, 2014
A truly ponderous, futuristic film.
½ April 7, 2014
Required material for any class that asks the question "what is film?"
July 30, 2012
It's preposterous, the goodness of the lady that's revealed eventually. Her rejection of the society after the demise of her family which is considered blatant is at max a feeble with her inelegant way of saying 'no' to everything. I don't know what the audience believes and likes anymore. This is a piece of trash if I were to rate it even though I would gladly never acknowledge the movie myself.
April 15, 2012
this is not part of the Three Colors trilogy, so . . . wth.
April 10, 2012
I think everyone should be made to watch Three Colors: Blue (1993), Three Colors: White and Three Colors: Red (1994). Blue is my favorite where Juliette Binoche plays a woman who deals with the death of her composer husband and their child in a rather unique way. White is about a polish immigrant seeking revenge on his ex-wife and Red is about a model who discovers her neighbor invades the privacy of others. I always wish more people viewed world cinema but if I was to suggest a place to begin, it would be these films. Incredible story telling, off the scale acting, great direction, true artistry.
March 21, 2012
Didn't realise that 'Blue' (which is, a blue screen throughout?!) also has a trailer!!
November 8, 2011
A blue screen makes this a very unusual film, but Jarman's words as he approached his death made this an extremely thought-provoking experience/
May 21, 2011
Hermosa, aunque emocionalmente drenante. Cuidado. D.R.
April 12, 2011
I think this is the kind of film that benefits from the rigid focus available in a non-home-viewing environment. A gallery, a theatre, a cinema - perhaps even on TV. Something where you need to be there, paying attention, and thinking about it. It's too easy to be lazy watching the DVD, despite your best intentions. I'm only blaming myself for the things I missed out on here.
April 11, 2011
The concept is interesting, but some parts don't work. The perpetual blue image might either force you to listen or enable your mind to wander and be distracted, which might be a problem.
½ February 10, 2011
Jarman's masterpiece was always going to attract a lazy criticism from the mainstream mindset: pretentious, trendy, self-indulgent etc.

But to dismiss it out of hand as no better than a first year art student's project is to fail to appreciate the rich narrative.

The coldness of the blue focusses the mind on what Jarman has to tell us, perhaps far better than any other colour would've done. We cannot help but listen, and take in one very gifted man's grim yet positive perspective on gay life, and a slow death through AIDS.

Brian Eno's musical score is stark and haunting, with passages of female vocal harmony that are strongly influenced by contempory sacred music from Eastern Europe.

Watch this film with an open mind: Force yourself to keep staring into the blue yonder, and it will empower you with a new level of vision and perspective.
½ December 16, 2010
slow, beautiful and gripping
April 28, 2010
Still my favourite Jarman. I have this on a dodgy VHS copy, but even then it's fucking beautiful. An elegy to vision.
½ January 27, 2010
With his final movie "Blue", Derek Jarman again takes an intriguing angle, again proving how visual the medium of film is, by using an empty blue screen for its entire running time to emulate his blindness caused by AIDS which would claim his life in 1994. As the Washington Post pointed out at the time, he had lost his sight, but not his vision with his personal testament to the world around him that is alternately sad, sardonic and angry, mourning his friends who had already died, much too numerous. And it is sad how in Derek Jarman, we lost a talented iconoclastic filmmaker long before his time.

One of the particular details Jarman focuses on is the color blue and all of its shades which normally we would never think about. And then you have the blues, the saddest of music. In the present day, the Blue Lanterns of DC Comics encompass hope.
January 26, 2010
Blue has an unbelievable emotional depth that is just under the surface because of Juliette Binoche?s brilliant performance. The film breaks the surface with its haunting score and observant visuals creating an exceptional piece of filmmaking!!
November 8, 2009
Interesting concept, I'm adding it to my list of need to see.
½ March 30, 2009
I lay on my bed with a cup of coffee and I was listening to this fascinating and shocking history. Something very special.;>