Blue Reviews

• Sep 09, 2019

A blue so blue. Listening voices over a blue screen. Only a blue screen. A fading life. Blind by his disease. Imagining the image not as a memory from the past but as an effect of the present. Derek Jarman is about to die from AIDS. 1993. Like so many others. The chaos of death when it happens all of a sudden. AIDS. What is left from our own identity when everyone is dying? Things didn't use to be like that. Maybe they've always been. Everything must come to an end. Blue. The future is impossible but the present, stil exists. Staring at blue. What a sad way to die. What are good ways to die? There's always this tragedy of never coming back. What an incomprehensible end. One by one dying of AIDS. Voices, sounds, words, and music. The image refused to show itself. The imagination guides you in this unique interpretation of yours. A movie in your head. No screening can't be the same. What is pain? What is suffering? Experience to be lived alone surrounded by the others. Others who have their own pain. There's always a worst version of pain. More suffering. More empathy needed. I feel lost. Everything is blue. The movie is gone. The colour blue stuck in my head. Staring at someone who's dying, now here I am questioning my own existentiality. Feeling the possibility of coming to the end. Maybe I feel nothing. Here I am in front of my computer thinking of words to please someone with the expectation to be read. My legs sticking to the white plastic chair from the lack of pants. The heat of my computer. The weight of my glasses. The alcool that I'm drinking. The taste of it. Plum. Is it cold or warm inside? I can hear the sound of the street from here. Living in the present requires such an effort. Purrr.

• Feb 22, 2017

Blue is a unicolor requiem to a director robbed of his sight, a cinematic composition of his illness and imminent demise.

• Feb 10, 2017

Derek Jarman's last theatrical feature, made while he was dying of AIDS-related complications mirrors his fading eyesight by filling the screen with a solid shade of blue for the entire running time. Over the colour field, Jarman talks about his illness and his background, reflecting on his imminent death among other topics. The most common negative reaction to this film is that it's "not really a movie" due to the monotonous visual component, but it's not fair to say that the blueness serves no purpose. It puts you into Jarman's shoes to some degree and serves to help you focus on what he is saying and feel some of the force. I personally think it's a beautiful film.

• Jul 15, 2015

Blue screen, and a lot of droning. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Blue screen, and a lot of droning. Don't say I didn't warn you.

• Jan 16, 2015

"The Gautama Buddha instructs me to walk away from illness. But he wasn't attached to a drip".

• Nov 29, 2014

A truly ponderous, futuristic film.

A truly ponderous, futuristic film.

• Mar 04, 2014

Required material for any class that asks the question "what is film?"

Required material for any class that asks the question "what is film?"

• Jul 30, 2012

It's preposterous, the goodness of the lady that's revealed eventually. Her rejection of the society after the demise of her family which is considered blatant is at max a feeble with her inelegant way of saying 'no' to everything. I don't know what the audience believes and likes anymore. This is a piece of trash if I were to rate it even though I would gladly never acknowledge the movie myself.

• Apr 10, 2012

I think everyone should be made to watch Three Colors: Blue (1993), Three Colors: White and Three Colors: Red (1994). Blue is my favorite where Juliette Binoche plays a woman who deals with the death of her composer husband and their child in a rather unique way. White is about a polish immigrant seeking revenge on his ex-wife and Red is about a model who discovers her neighbor invades the privacy of others. I always wish more people viewed world cinema but if I was to suggest a place to begin, it would be these films. Incredible story telling, off the scale acting, great direction, true artistry.

• Nov 08, 2011

A blue screen makes this a very unusual film, but Jarman's words as he approached his death made this an extremely thought-provoking experience/