Pocahontas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pocahontas Reviews

½ July 17, 2017
From this film, we learn it is important to abandon our families if it means we are going to be in a relationship. Also, John Smith is portrayed as a letch.
July 3, 2017
Pocahontas one of my favourite Disney film of all time and Pocahontas is my favourite Disney Princess of all time
½ June 27, 2017
While this film can be very exhausting at times, its consistent animation and memorable story makes this film a classic.
½ June 25, 2017
After watching this I think there needs to be a spinoff involving just the dog and raccoon as they gave me the most amusement in Pocahontas. Beyond that though I was engaged with the story more than I have in most of the Disney fare that came before the "Renaissance" began. Sure it might not be up to the standards of the juggernauts of Aladdin or Lion King but this was a fine watch that other than the standard cheesy romantic dialogue and relationship with the fast forward button mashed I really have no problems with.
June 10, 2017
Not a Disney film I would place under the great category, but it's OK for what it is.
½ May 19, 2017
Despite being the least memorable of the Disney Renaissance, Pocahontas is still an endearing musical drama. 3.5/5.
May 4, 2017
Beautiful animation and great songs. A fine classic from Disney's Renaissance era. (First viewing - Summer 1995 in theaters)
May 3, 2017
This was one of my favorite movies and I still like this movie! There is no problem with this movie at all. The music was great I like all the songs and hay there where funny moments in this movie! to me I feel like this has good history. Great for kids to see this funny movie!
April 23, 2017
One of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen.
½ April 4, 2017
really not that great some good ideas but it feels a little forced
March 18, 2017
has everyone lost their minds?! This is one of the top Disney movies ever.
March 14, 2017
Pocahontas is the Disney film that started a slight decline during the Disney Renaissance Era, and it's no question as to why. I like the film, but just a little. I think it's passable, but it is a major disappointment as a follow up to The Lion King. I do give the film credit for trying something new, making a film inspired by a real person. But the narrative is just so dull and predictable. It's the basic "who's the savage?" story. The character aren't any better. Pocahontas is my second-least favorite Disney Princess. She is wise and free-spirited, but she doesn't have much to her. She's not bad, she's just not that fun to watch. John Smith is also pretty bland. There are things that I do enjoy about this movie. The animation is good, but I don't like the overall look of the movie, specifically the characters. They just don't look like Disney characters. Again, I know they're trying something new, but I'm too used to the traditional Disney designs of characters in other Disney films. The colors in the film look great. I really like the way they stand out. I also enjoy the film's theme about nature, since I'm a nature lover. But the best aspect of this film to me is the soundtrack. I enjoy Savages and Just Around the River Bend, but my favorite is Colors of the Wind. This is one of my favorite Disney songs ever. Everything from the vocals to the lyrics to the instrumentals. I can listen to this song over and over again. It's a well-written, beautiful song. So with all of these elements combined, I find Pocahontas to be pretty okay. I definitely don't hate it or think its a bad movie. I don't mind watching it once in a while, but the characters are dull and the story is predictable, and not a whole lot of fun. Again, I know that Disney was trying something a bit more adult, but I just didn't think it worked out. Pocahontas is dull and a little boring, but it still has great songs, nice animation, and even a few funny moments here and there. If you really love this film, that's great. I just don't think it's that good. But I like it fine and don't mind popping it in my VCR once in a while.
March 5, 2017
Hahahahahahahahahaha. Really? Disney thought this unreliable history lesson that probably resulted in tons of kids all over the world failing in their history homework would fare better critically and commercially than The Lion King? Aside from historical inaccuracies, the film also suffers as a villain whom I see as weak compared to far superior villains such as Scar and Jafar (ooh, that rhymes) and doesn't have the excitement of Aladdin. However, I still have enough things to praise to ensure it keeps the 3 stars I have rated this film. The love story isn't as enchanting as that of Belle and the Beast but it still gets points for being the first ever Disney movie to feature an interracial romance. The animation, similarly to other films in the Disney Renaissance, is beautiful, the songs are amazing and the animals provide suitable comic relief for the kiddies. One of Disney's lesser efforts but not a complete waste of my time.
January 28, 2017
Pocahontas is not too bad, but sadly it's the most disappointing and forgettable film of the Disney Renaissance era in the 90s, lacking any sort of fun and charm from the previous Disney films such as The Lion King and Aladdin, which is completely ironic. Even though the film did an amazing job with the animation, the voice cast and the songs, as well as having some good characters like Grandmother Willow and the non-talking comic relief animals, but they can't be saved by its dull and predictable plot, recycled the elements from Romeo & Juliet and bland and forgettable characters. I think it should be the best that Disney fans should save their money and rent it when it comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray. 3 out of 5 stars.
December 21, 2016
The blatantly historically inaccurate story and characters can definitely be more interesting, but at least the animation and the songs are beautiful. Quite possibly the weakest film of the 1990s Disney Renaissance.
½ December 4, 2016
Pocahontas is a Disney movie critics treat too harshly. It may not be historically accurate, but it does get its point across, making it a worth a look.
November 27, 2016
Entertaining and fantasy driven version of the story. As per usual with Disney I suppose. The song, "Colors Of The Wind," stands out though. On Blu-ray.
November 20, 2016
Best damn disney movie ever.
November 8, 2016
Beautiful film - from the music to the scenery to the message. And I like the fact that the couple don't live happily ever after with each other at the end! Simply stated, it's a story about love.
½ October 27, 2016
I mean, the music is so beautiful that it makes up for the problematic portrayal of this legendary story. But I grew up with this and I saw her as fierce and strong and I continue to see her that way.