Pocahontas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pocahontas Reviews

October 8, 2016
It's not that good. Alan Menken's songs are fantastic, but this movie is just flaaat.
October 4, 2016
Pocahontas is at times overly serious, its humor is quite weak, the use of animal sidekicks is mediocre and the characterization overall isn't the greatest, but I still find it to be a pretty good, sometimes even admirable film that is quite underrated as well. Its animation is just gorgeous and at times even artistic and contributing greatly to a somewhat poetic quality to the movie. It succeeds as an interesting period piece, but mostly as a great musical as the songs are amazing, the score is just terrific and it has one of the best ever Disney endings in a scene that is so powerful and breathtaking.
September 19, 2016
Pocahontas is the Disney film that started a slight decline during the Disney Renaissance Era, and it's no question as to why. I like the film, but just barely. I think it's passable, but it is a major disappointment as a follow up to The Lion King. I do give the film credit for trying something new, making a film inspired by a real person. But the narrative is just so dull and predictable. It's the basic "who's the savage?" story. The character aren't any better. Pocahontas is my second-least favorite Disney Princess. She is wise and free-spirited, but she doesn't have much to her. She's not bad, she's just not that fun to watch. John Smith is also pretty bland. There are things that I do enjoy about this movie. The animation is good, but I don't like the overall look of the movie, specifically the characters. They just don't look like Disney characters. Again, I know they're trying something new, but I'm too used to the traditional Disney designs of characters in other Disney films. The colors in the film look great. I really like the way they stand out. I also enjoy the film's theme about nature, since I'm a nature lover. But the best aspect of this film to me is the soundtrack. I enjoy Savages and Just Around the River Bend, but my favorite is Colors of the Wind. This is one of my favorite Disney songs ever. Everything from the vocals to the lyrics to the instrumentals. I can listen to this song over and over again. It's a well-written, beautiful song. So with all of these elements combined, I find Pocahontas to be pretty okay. I definitely don't hate it or think its a bad movie. I don't mind watching it once in a while, but the characters are dull and the story is predictable, and not a whole lot of fun. Again, I know that Disney was trying something a bit more adult, but I just didn't think it worked out. Pocahontas is dull and a little boring, but it still has great songs, nice animation, and even a few funny moments here and there. If you really love this film, that's great. I just don't think it's that good. But I like it fine and don't mind popping it in my VCR once in a while.
September 10, 2016
After the huge successes which Disney has made like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and the massive box office smash hit The Lion King Disney went downhill of his spiral animated movies but it means well and it has some moments. it was mixed by critics and audiences alike but that doesn't mean this movie's bad, no way. Me and my friends liked it especially for girls. Just like in the previous films, me, Jacob and Liam have been quoting the lines and singing songs from it. Years ago me, Jacob and Liam have been teasing our taxi escort Pat by saying ''Oh, a dream! Let's hear all about it!'' ''Quiet!'' ''Quiet!'' ''Now, child, you were saying?'' That really made us laugh! So let me get to the story. Now it's kind of complicated to say this but it's based on an actual fact so I'm not going to give away any spoilers so I'm going to give you descriptions about the story. So people think the story is so boring and so predictable and the ending almost bored me but I got over it but the opening had me thrilled where the people on the ship went into the storm and then Thomas fell off and John saves him. That's an awsome opening! That was when I was a kid. You know the rest of the story so I won't go in too much detail about it. The animation is fantastic even with the colours. The animators had some talent with the animation as always like in the previous Disney films. But didn't I mention about the character animation? No. So with the character animation is so stylish again just like in the previous films, some are cartoony and stylish. Boy, the animators really do have some style in animation and character animation and they really do put in lot of effort in the previous Disney films. the characters are likable but for the audience, they think they're bland but for me I really like them. There the main character Pocahontas who is adventurous but for me I don't find her interesting but I didn't realize that she was the Disney princess but the girls might so that's basically good. There's John Smith voiced by who I swear voiced by Mel Gibson from the Lethal Weapon franchise. Believing an actor who would get in with the character is who you really believe that people will recognise the voice who you heard and what he looks like. He's good in the role, don't get me wrong but people think John Smith is bland but for me I really like him. Here's the greedy Governor Ratcliffe who is ruthless who made the Virginia Company digging for ''Gold! Gold! Gold!'' He was voiced by David Ogden Stiers who also voiced Cogsworth from Beauty and the Beast. Now is it me or does he do two different voices? He also voices Wiggins, Ratcliffe's manservant. Those men named Thomas voiced by Christian Bale and Ben voiced by Billy Connolly. he gets some funny lines but really? He said ''It could look like Ratcliffe's knickers for all I care, so long as we get off the stinking boat!'' That's fucking silly! There are some side characters though like Meeko and Flit, Pocahontas's pets. Nakoma who's Pocahontas's best friend. Grandmother Willow, Pocahontas's guide. Percy who is Ratcliffe's pet and Pocahontas's father, Chief Powhatan, chief of the Powhatan. Man, these characters are so likable I could even think about it for as long as I live. The songs, you know who written the songs. It's Alan Menken. You know the music because it's composed by Alan Menken who brought you music from The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. There's a song which me and my friend Liam have been singing. The song is called Mine Mine Mine which is a good song. Liam joined in because I was quoting lines and he joined. Here's what I said ''Now, gentlemen, to work! You men, get the ship unloaded. You men, build the fort. The rest of you, break up the shovels. It's time to start digging.'' ''Digging?'' ''Why, of course. Let's not forget what the spanish found when they came to the New World. Gold! Mountains of it. Why, for years they've been ravaging the New World of its most precious resources. But now..... it's our turn.'' And then me and Liam started singing. This is the first time we've heard Mel Gibson singing. We've been singing the opening song called The Virginia Company and we've been singing one of my favourite song Savages. Hell, one of my friends have heard me singing it like Sam Hudson and my parents. I've been singing that song everytime I'm in the mood. There's a song called Colors of the Wind. First there's Pocahontas singing it even Liam Fleming have been singing it as well. I could even remember the lyrics. And then there's the theme song and I gotta say, it is beautiful. Sung by Vanessa Williams. I even like another song which Vanessa sings called Where Do We Go From Here from the movie called Eraser starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. There's another theme song called If I Never Knew You and I liked it. There's another one which John and Pocahontas sings. I even singing along just to remember the lyrics aside from that it's not included in the film. So that's it for Pocahontas. Not so bad, right? I like this movie as a kid and a teenager and my friends Jacob and Liam. It's a memorable movie filled with beautiful animation, characters that are memorable but people think they're bland and forgetable but by god, Ratcliffe's voice makes me laugh all the way through the whole experience, songs and music that will make you hum and sing along everytime you in the mood to sing. I know I did. Now for the people who watches this they'll know what to expect. Some people liked, some people don't, it's just a film which is one of Disney's weakest. It's a memorable Disney animated movie for people to enjoy if they're in the mood.
September 9, 2016
If you kill him, you'll have to kill me, too.
½ August 15, 2016
Extremely underrated! Pocahontas holds up pretty well as a Disney film.
½ August 12, 2016
It still hits a high note for Disney, using the momentum of the studio's 1990s barrage of blockbusters to create a worthy addition. The problem is that it pales in comparison to its three predecessors (Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin) and lacks the creativity and amusement that the previous films embodied. It still beams with magic and claims some complex imagery, especially with its vibrant color palette that radiates in the New World. But the story is meh; if you've seen Dances With Wolves or any other version of the "Romeo and Juliet" plot line you can skip this one. Also, if you're somewhat of a history buff you might be a little confused with some of the fine details, especially how Jamestown came to a considerably darker demise. It was Disney's first crack at a movie based on historical-fact instead of fiction, and it certainly doesn't justify it. But there's still some spark to this one, and it glows especially in its musical score.
August 8, 2016
Nice animation and good music, but story is warped even by Disney standards.

The amount of truth in this film consists of: 1) There was a place called England, 2) There was a land called America, 3) There was a place called Virgina (though apparently all the animators got its coastline mixed up with Norway), 4) There was a short homely man named John Smith, 5) There was a pre-teen girl named Pocahontas. The rest of the film is pulled out of your ass contrivance. The climax is drawn out but especially weak, and just... so much is poor about this film story and character wise.
½ August 5, 2016
Great movie it doesn't follow history but who cares this movie was great
July 30, 2016
An alright Disney animated movie that alters the story of Pocahontas.
Mel Gibson is John and the rest of the voice acting is decent.
July 22, 2016
Two Thumbs Up Siskel And Ebert
July 18, 2016
The first pairing of Alan Menken & Stephen Schwartz is a match made in heaven.
½ July 13, 2016
Not the beautiful colors, or Alan Menken's decent score are strong enough to lift this unispired and un-enjoyable take on the disney version
of this historical character.
½ July 1, 2016
Pocahontas lacks some fun, and is somewhat predictable, but it's still a very enjoayble Disney movie with some great music and intriguing characters.
June 9, 2016
Pocahontas is my favorite Disney classic. If you are looking for something historically accurate, then yes, steer clear. This movie, however, is great for kids and the family. The music is wonderful, especially the lyrics, teaching children that we don't own everything, and to treat the environment with respect.
May 24, 2016
Beautiful animation and great songs. A fine classic from Disney's Renaissance era. (First viewing - Summer 1995 in theaters)
May 22, 2016
Would be 2.5 stars, but the music bumps it up to 3.
½ May 19, 2016
A forgettable, boring good-looking mess
April 11, 2016
Easily one of Disney's nicest films. Awesome sceneries, exciting characters... Even with it being inaccurate, it's still great.
April 10, 2016
Like Romeo and Juliet in the woods. And with a somewhat happier ending.