A Christmas Carol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Christmas Carol Reviews

½ May 4, 2017
With so many film versions of this Dickens story you can easily skip over this one. George C. Scott is actually not a bad Scrooge, but it's a bland television movie. (First and only full viewing - 12/9/2010)
½ December 28, 2016
Of all of the Christmas Carol movies I've seen, this may be the best. I like Warner, but I'm not sure is the best Cratchit. The simile game should have been cut. The homeless family scene could've been shortened. Could've used more fire. Regardless, the most dramatically comprehensive. His angry Scrooge is the best. But I think there may be better happy Scrooges. He seems to still have an edge. Also would have preferred Scrooge visiting Bob's home to see Tiny Tim.
December 24, 2016
The George C Scott one is one of the better versions. Christmas classic.
December 24, 2016
Over-played, aesthetically off, and under-directed, the 1984 version of the timeless classic just seems like it was made for the sake of another remake, though George C. Scott does make a commanding, and sometimes funny, take on Ebenezer Scrooge.
½ December 24, 2016
This TV movie is an excellent depiction of the Charles Dickens' novel. Great acting by George C. Scott and Edward Woodward. The spirit of Christmas Future was riveting. Unfortunately, this version is not as well known as it should be. This may be the definitive version of the classic novel, hadn't Alastair Sims' "Scrooge" (1951) establish the standard well beforehand.

Question: Did Woodward walk on stilts to make the spirit of Christmas Present seem so tall? There is one scene where Woodward and Scott are walking away from the camera at what seem to be normal heights.
December 23, 2016
Every year I watch both this and the Sim version as they tell the story in different ways. Firstly on the Scrooge front whilst Sim was a tortured soul Scott was mean by design and he wallowed in it. Scott did this deliberately so as not to be compared to Sim and both were brilliantly acted so you pays your farthing and takes your choice on the approach. But where this adaption accelerates IMO is with its depth and emotion due to stronger acting all round. There are plenty of scenes to leave lumps in the throat - from Tiny Tim (who unlike in the Sim version actually is tiny and looks ill) and his father trying to convince each other that one day he'll play with the other kids to Scrooges reconciliation with Fred and his wife. Throw in a stand out performance from Woodward as a powerful ghost of Christmas present, and the final graveyard repentance scene that is worth the entrance fee alone then this for me is, pound for pound the best version.
December 17, 2016
Best version. It's sentimental without being overdone. Scott's performance is perfect. He portrays scrooge as grateful and humbled rather than manic like many of the portrayals I have seen. Love this version!
½ December 17, 2016
This version of A Christmas Carol is less refined and lacks the nuance of previous versions.
December 10, 2016
a good adaptation of the well known Charles dickens story.
December 6, 2016
Magnificently filmed and even better acted, this is by far, by very far, the best A Christmas Carol treatment. A treat every time.
August 3, 2016
Awesome movie I loved it
January 23, 2016
In my opinion, the best traditional adaptation of the novel. I am well aware this was a made-for-TV version. Still.
½ December 12, 2015
90%
Well-cast and with a bleak and beautiful production design, the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol is arguably the best film version of the classic Dickens story.

V: 85%
November 21, 2015
Great cast and acting, wonderful version of a classic!
½ July 5, 2015
Personally, I think George C. Scott is the best Scrooge.
½ March 28, 2015
The spirit of the original book is transformed beautifully to the screen in this adaptation. George C Scott is a remarkably crass yet deep Scrooge who is elegantly nasty in the beginning and turns it around after seeing the error of his ways. This is my favorite version of the Charles Dickens classic tale.
½ February 27, 2015
An enjoyable telling of the classic story.
½ January 3, 2015
An adaptation of the timeless story to stand out among the many other versions, this version contains powerful atmosphere, fantastic visuals that are haunting at times, and the great George C. Scott plays a superb Scrooge.
½ December 26, 2014
I don't think Dickens would have approved of this somber rendition of his story.
December 26, 2014
This is my absolute favorite version of A Christmas Carol. This is the only version to provide a background story of Ebeneezer and why he may have become the scrooge that he is. I would highly recommend this version to anyone who loves the story!