A Christmas Carol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Christmas Carol Reviews

August 3, 2016
Awesome movie I loved it
January 23, 2016
In my opinion, the best traditional adaptation of the novel. I am well aware this was a made-for-TV version. Still.
December 17, 2015
The George C Scott one is one of the better versions. Christmas classic.
½ December 12, 2015
90%
Well-cast and with a bleak and beautiful production design, the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol is arguably the best film version of the classic Dickens story.

V: 85%
November 21, 2015
Great cast and acting, wonderful version of a classic!
½ July 5, 2015
Personally, I think George C. Scott is the best Scrooge.
½ March 28, 2015
The spirit of the original book is transformed beautifully to the screen in this adaptation. George C Scott is a remarkably crass yet deep Scrooge who is elegantly nasty in the beginning and turns it around after seeing the error of his ways. This is my favorite version of the Charles Dickens classic tale.
½ February 27, 2015
An enjoyable telling of the classic story.
½ January 3, 2015
An adaptation of the timeless story to stand out among the many other versions, this version contains powerful atmosphere, fantastic visuals that are haunting at times, and the great George C. Scott plays a superb Scrooge.
½ December 31, 2014
With so many film versions of this Dickens story you can easily skip over this one. George C. Scott is actually not a bad Scrooge, but it's a bland television movie. (First and only full viewing - 12/9/2010)
½ December 26, 2014
I don't think Dickens would have approved of this somber rendition of his story.
December 26, 2014
This is my absolute favorite version of A Christmas Carol. This is the only version to provide a background story of Ebeneezer and why he may have become the scrooge that he is. I would highly recommend this version to anyone who loves the story!
December 25, 2014
One of the best versions of the classic.
½ December 25, 2014
found this to be a classic
December 16, 2014
George C. Scott steps into the role of Ebenezer Scrooge in this mid-80s adaptation of the Dickens' classic. While Scott is great in the role (one of the bests), and this is a faithful version of the book with high production values...it isn't as good as the 1951 version starring Sim. The Ghost of Christmas past is hilariously dated to the 80s. Overall, if you are looking for a quality version of this oft-adapted tale, you will not be to disapointed with this one.
December 13, 2014
The George C. Scott version of this oft-filmed tale overcomes its made for television limitations to far and away become the best of all "Christmas Carol" adaptations. Scott's performance is perfect in every way as Scrooge, hamming it up when appropriate, but lending a true humanity and depth of feeling to the old miser that makes for some powerfully emotional moments. This film is blessed with superb performances across the board, and no other version strikes the remarkable balance of whimsy, believability, and heart that this one does. With a remarkably potent orchestral score, solid cinematography considering the restraints, and great attention to detail, this version will have you laughing, cheering, crying, quaking in fright, but in the end calling out, as Tiny Tom so aptly says, "God bless us, everyone!"
½ August 14, 2014
The only problem I have with this is The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. Unlike other versions where it remains silent, it constantly emits this high-pitched wail, which sounds like nails on a chalkboard.
April 8, 2014
wonderful best movie ever
½ February 18, 2014
Definitely not the best adaptation, but still provides thrills and scares and holiday cheer like the book.
January 3, 2014
A Christmas tradition in my house. i saw it as a graduate student on TV in the eighties and have been a devotee ever since. Fantastic representation of Dicken's world, Scott and the rest of the cast are superb.