The Bunker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bunker Reviews

June 19, 2016
Probably one of my favorite performances by Anthony Hopkins, even though he played Hitler. "The Bunker" is probably number 4 on my favorite WW II movies list. Defiantly worth a once over for any WW II movie buff.
January 25, 2016
The Bunker is a 1981 made-for-TV movie of high calibre for its time. Anthony Hopkins acting carries the film. I believe too much of this plot is based around Albert Speer, who was largely a visitor to the dynamic and brief "community" of the bunker.

Hopkins seems to largely portray Hitler as a caricature. Perhaps he was simply doing the job he was hired to do.

There is a line by Goebbels in this film that really stood out for me: "The masses don't want to be burdened with problems. They desire only one thing, to be led by a great leader. That's what the intellectuals never understood. But I can assure you, Hitler knew it."

This movie parallels the German film, Downfall, which is far superior. However, if you are a history buff fascinated by the events of that time, this may be additional perspective to Downfall to round out the eyewitness events that are the basis for both films.
February 13, 2014
I found this movie to be excellent! Hitler is played by Anthony Hopkins is outstanding in this role, and was deserving of his Emmy win.
October 31, 2010
As a huge Anthony Hopkins fan I'm disappointed to say that his overacting killed this film.
½ May 10, 2010
This is one of the best films made on Adolf Hitler, after Der Untergang (The Downfall). It shows the last few days Hitler spent in the bunker when Red Army was knocking at the gates of Berlin. No doubt Anthony Hopkins played a great role, emotionally pertrubed, decieved by his SS commandants, his hands shaking. In one way, Sir Hopkins was a genius. Richard Jordan, playing the role of Albert Speer was also at his best and Cliff Gorman as Dr.Goebbels. Though, Der Untergang started with the interview of a steno who was appointed by the Fuhrer, The Bunker shows it in a different manner. The last speech of Anthony Hopkins, really reveals the true talent as an actor. The frenzy, that Hitler used to create during his speeches was something that Dr.Hopkins truly potrayed in his last speech in this film. The hand movements, the shouting, was something that brings out the true sense of Hitler during his talk in Germany.

Bruno Ganz however, playes a great role in The Downfall, kneeling down the maps and putting his shaking fingers and directing his army marshals.

Truly speaking both Dr.Hopkins and Bruno Ganz are unparalleled in acting in both the films. However, The Bunker, really shows the last few days of the Fuhrer, in the shabby atmosphere, one person, really holding the entire Third Reich and the responsibility of the Greater Germany, slowly coming to an end.

Anybody who watches The Bunker, really comes to know a lot about the historical facts of Nazi Germany as well as finds the real emotion of Adolf Hitler during his last days of the Third Reich.
½ February 14, 2010
Hopkins is very good as usual.
November 4, 2008
Hopkins pwns in this.
July 16, 2008
Dated and long winded but buoyed by great acting and atmosphere. It is creepy to see Hitler's mind and his empire collapse as if they are one.
June 25, 2008
See the untergang or even the last ten days that are much much better...
June 11, 2008
This is by far one of the best film about this particular time towards the end of the European campaign... Not as good as Der Untergang, but pretty darn close! Anthony Hopkins in the role of Hitler is a total hit!... and Richard Jordan also delivers a very solid performance in the role of Albert Speer!

A must see for all WW2 movies aficionados!
May 17, 2008
Anthony Hopkin as Hitler - wow. I saw it way back in the late 80's and I have no idea if I'd still like it as I did then.