The Scarlet Letter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Scarlet Letter Reviews

July 19, 2013
Love this movie one of my favorites
½ July 7, 2013
honestly it totally stink
June 10, 2013
M'eh. Demi Moore was a poor choice to star in this classic story. She doesn't really have the gravitas to pull it off and she's got zero chemistry with Oldman. I'd recommend it if you don't want to read the book and Cliff's Notes are too expensive. Otherwise, it's not much of a diversion.
June 2, 2013
A ridiculously loose adaptation that squanders the depth of its source material in favor of a generic overlong soap opera with laughably ham-fisted symbolism. English teachers may get a good laugh but otherwise stay far away from this star-studded turkey.
½ June 2, 2013
The two words that come to mind are emotionless and lazy.
April 24, 2013
Almost a third of this movie echos the intent of Hawthorne - the rest merely thins your wallet. "Ker-Ching!", mission accomplished.
April 13, 2013
Not a faithful retelling of the novel, however it tells you that at the beginning by stating it is "freely adapted." Regardless, the story is a classic and retains its power even in today's society when you compare it to classes of people who are stigmatized and stunned for their actions. I found the acting to be above average; of course I could watch Demi Moore paint her toenails and be totally fascinated. The movie was longer than I felt it needed to be, and the ending is a cop-out. Worth seeing though.
March 26, 2013
I took the movie for what it was, having not read Hawthorne's book, and thoroughly enjoyed it...... I was enthralled by the beauty of the locations, the musical score and especially the initial chemistry between Oldman and Moore....if you like historical movies and have not read the book, you may find it worth seeing....
February 5, 2013
The Scarlet Letter is a horrid misfire and now I see why it has the reputation it has. The worst thing about is that it actually starts off fairly decently, but then completely falls apart and becomes a slow, miserable crawl to the end. This film does have some positive aspects like a great music score by John Barry and beautiful cinematography, but the film is crushed by an abysmal script that spins wildly out of control and becomes a garbled clusterfuck. This is one of the worst romance films I've ever seen. What a shame, it actually had some potential to be good.
January 22, 2013
I didn't see the last 15 minutes, but I watched the first two hours, so I claim review rights. Wild "freely adapted" take on the overblown, dated classic. The attempts to make it more relevant are noble if not completely misplaced. Gary Oldman looks like Dracula in every scene: Plain and simple. Nice sets and costumes, visually very pleasing. I would argue against it as one of the worst movies of all time, but they still screwed up Chillingsworth, so screw them.
January 5, 2013
It was good b/c of the real events that it discussed and the love story wasn't bad either!
½ December 2, 2012
It was okay but I wish there had been more Gary oldman - the reason I watched the movie
November 8, 2012
Neither as terrible as critics nor its reputation claim it is, The Scarlet Letter may have adapted and added unnecessary details (such as the themes of witchcraft or the Native American conflict) to the classic novel, but the film works in its own way. Gary Oldman and Demi Moore certainly would never have won any awards for their performances, but they don't too bad given the material at hand. Crucify me for saying it, but the original novel feels convoluted and this film seems to have a grip on how to manage it and perhaps mistakenly, take the steps to make it more interesting for a modern audience.
November 6, 2012
i think that was a bit harsh, and an odd birthmark does not make you a witch.
½ October 27, 2012
A little slow at times, but Gary oldman looks great as a romantic figure and is a nice change from his villainous roles
October 11, 2012
A classic literature marred by Hollywood
September 1, 2012
A view into what extremism the church was into, during its most strong days
August 14, 2012
A good movies, but a HORRIBLE adaptation of Hawthorne's classic novel.
July 30, 2012
A good adaptation of the book with twists and turns, romance and heartbreak. Gary Oldman is wonderful - a real hero. A real classic and worth a watch.
½ May 24, 2012
For those who thought Showgirls was the worst film of 1995 didn't seem to watch this film.