Home for the Holidays Reviews

• Nov 23, 2018

Awful awful awful. Dysfunctional miserable people belong to a family and grudgingly get together for a Thanksgiving meal. Lots of anger , hurtful remarks, fights and depression. Not a film to see if you are already tired of the holidays.

• May 03, 2018

Home for the Holidays is a film that shows the complicated mix of dysfunction and love that exists in most families. There is a fair amount of exaggeration in the characters, which leads the story to become ridiculous, but there is an underlying grain of realism. Holly Hunter is the most stable element in the film, and allows us to enter this story and not hate the insane characters in her family, because we see how much she cares for them. Everything focuses in on a single Thanksgiving dinner, and that scene is so crazy it feels like you’ve walked into a madhouse. The grounded characters take it all in stride as if there’s nothing odd about this ordeal, which breaks the reality a bit for me because they could not have meals this extreme every year. There are too many once-in-a-lifetime revelations, for that to be true. Despite all this insanity, I was still taking Home for the Holidays in stride because I could appreciate the underlying heart that comes from family bonds that transcend the difficult times. What stood out as the awkward aspect of the film was the romance. There’s a strange shift in focus that sidetracked the family story and invalidated some of the drama that had come before. This love story could have worked for me in a different film, but here it is unnecessary. It doesn’t help that it ends with disappointment. At the very least, if you’re going to waste my time with this new aspect of the film, you should give me a satisfying end. There are some elements of Home for the Holidays that work, and this is one of the rare holiday films that celebrates the craziness of Thanksgiving instead of Christmas, but I don’t think I’ll feel the need to watch it again.

• Dec 21, 2017

I lve this movie very good movie

I lve this movie very good movie

• Nov 22, 2017

Best way to start the holiday season. I love this movie so much I sometimes cheat and watch it in July. If the Hallmark /Lifetime/HSN etc. can start Christmas in the summer, I can enjoy this classy, classic.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Nov 04, 2017

In its best scenes, the movie demands that at certain point we have to accept our families as they are (even if we still need to walk away). So its just too bad that the bulk of the second half is focused on getting Holly Hunter a man rather than diving deeper into it's messy characters.

• Oct 28, 2017

A Thanksgiving TREAT. A MUST SEE.

A Thanksgiving TREAT. A MUST SEE.

• Jan 06, 2017

What results is a film with some bright spots but whose effect is finally as muddled and wearying as the event itself sometimes is. But director Jodie Foster and writer W.D.Richter aren't content to serve the usual Planes, Trains and Cliches at their Thanksgiving feast. With her keen actor's instincts, Foster piles on plenty for her terrific cast to chew on and for us to savor. There are few surprises on offer here; the comedy is engaging without ever being side-splitting, the dramatic conflict convinces without going overboard, and the denouement, feelgood as it is, can be spotted a long way in the distance. Any screen that shares the likes of Danes, Downey and Durning at the least promises certain pleasures, and this cast delivers. Foster, working from a patchy, meandering script by W.D. Richter, produces scene after scene of rudderless banter. The movie is all asides, all nattering; the actors seem lost in their busy, fractious shticks. There so many likable moments in Home for the Holidays that nail situations so aptly that it's a shame that there are so many more moments that leave you scratching your head and wondering what to think. Overall, the movie stresses the more painful and awkward moments; moments that might be classified as "heartwarming" are rare. This results in a very cynical tone and I suspect that was not the desired effect. VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)

• Nov 27, 2016

Jodie Foster directed this uneven ensemble dramedy.

Jodie Foster directed this uneven ensemble dramedy.

• Jan 05, 2016

A sweet christmas movie with great performances from Holly Hunter, Charles Durning, Anne Bancroft, and Cynthia Stevenson

• Jan 02, 2016

Waste of my time, I already forgot all about this movie.

Waste of my time, I already forgot all about this movie.