Kicking and Screaming - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kicking and Screaming Reviews

December 12, 2012
An incredibly poignant, wonderful film... doomed to forever being remembered as "Isn't that the Will Ferrell soccer movie?"
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
½ September 20, 2012
The monotone nature of every character in the film dominates and it does so in a surprisingly effective manner. There is nothing visually exciting or developmentally exciting, the film is all about these young adults interactions with one another.
August 23, 2012
Witty dialogue, relateable characters, and philosophical remarks. And it appears that Mr. Baumbach continued to make good movies after that.
August 11, 2012
there's a few laughs here.
July 27, 2012
Yes, it isn't a masterpiece, or anything strikingly original. But, it has heart, intellect and style. It takes these main characters who essentially are the ones who translate the directors thoughts, but it doesn't get clouded with those visions. It can tell the difference between things. This film has a warm honesty, also. Just as a whole it masterfully handles emotions, while it succeeds at being original. And not the annoying film student original, but a way that flows. I, like I'm sure most people do, love the stuff they talk about . The film constantly mocks the characters, but at the end we realize we care for them, and we all identify with them. Yet, none of this is going to work unless you connect with them from the start. It isn't a masterpiece, but it's an essential of the sub genre, and a big influence. Also, this film is endlessly quotable, not that it enhances the art of the film, but it's a nice touch.
June 27, 2012
This movie lacked any sort of plot other than the selfishness of its characters, and the jokes tried too hard to be witty. Aside from putting a sign that says "broken glass" on top of broken glass instead of picking it up, this movie had very little humorous moments. The opening scene alone drags on pointlessly, and probably could have been so much less... Which would make it so much more.
June 24, 2012
noah baumbach didn't seem to really find his stride until he made "the squid and the whale", and while "kicking & screaming" has a really fantastic ending and more than a few funny bits, it's nowhere near as great as his more recent films.
June 12, 2012
I hate to be this referential, but this feels like minor Baumbach, particularly considering what's to come.
April 12, 2012
Realistic in it's sentiments but not in it's dialogue. This is definitely a criticism, but the dialogue is so hilarious, clever, and endlessly quotable that this uneven aspect is worth overlooking. The characters are well-written, and I am sometimes horrified by the prospect of turning into them. But maybe this is the wake up call I needed. I'd say this was a very good film. It's kind of like Kevin Smith for english/philosophy enthusiasts.
½ April 2, 2012
A film about love, graduation, life goals and trivia. I was absolutely impressed. Each actor was chosen very well and the dark comedy wasn't so dark as in The Squid and the Whale that it's almost non existant, but not quite as slapstick. Not to be confused with the Will Ferrel film, this movie will keep you on the edge of your seat as you can figure more and more out about your own life.
½ March 23, 2012
A very opinionated by empty and aimless bore concerning recent college graduates struggling to find their place in the world, and how their lives change over the course of a few months. Noah Baumbach, one of the kings of awkward/anti-social world, has put together a below average "comedy" that is not very funny, with characters that are not very likable, and with a plot that has no problem being about nothing. Unlike "The Squid and the Whale" which had a pretty good sense of humor despite taking itself a little too seriously, the biggest thing with this film is that it is just flat-out not funny or meaningful. I could not care less about the selfish, quirky for quirks sake characters that spouted dialogue that seemed from another planet, and as a result this movie lost me quickly. It is not terrible, it just is not very good.
½ March 13, 2012
The first Noah Baumbach movie I saw was "Greenberg", his latest work. The second takes me back to the beginning of his career. With "Kicking and Screaming" all of the overused descriptive buzz words can be used to describe it: quirky, offbeat, etc. But those words are justified in this coming-of-age type of story that is darkly hilarious and minimalistic in form. The dialogue is insanely hipster-esque as are the problems.
"Kicking and Screaming" follows a couple kids straight outta (kinda) college, and how they cope with the unknown that comes right after. The cope by going back into the system. Hanging with freshmen, boozing it up, struggling to pay rent. It's honest and compelling, and seeing as how I'll be graduating this winter the subject matter becomes all the more important to me. So while it might not be for anyone, I think most college students (and recent grads) will enjoy "Kicking and Screaming". I know I did.
½ February 12, 2012
Whenever I mention this film, I have to explain that it isn't "Kicking & Screaming" starring Will Ferrel, and, in fact, has nothing to do with Soccer. Although Baumbach's later "The Squid and the Whale" is significantly more popular, I prefer this film. Nearly flawless; its tomatometer rating does not do it justice.
February 8, 2012
I'm glad he got better at making movies.
½ February 1, 2012
Clerks minus the dick jokes.
January 27, 2012
A good slice-of-life flick. Anyone who feared, and perhaps delayed, leaving the comforts and joys of college life for the dreaded next phase can relate to this movie. Great stuff!
January 15, 2012
Very good first timer from Baumbach. Endearing characters, cheesy montage shots, and witty dialogue. Not much to dislike in this one.
½ January 7, 2012
Pretentious and unfunny. One of the most visually offensive movies I have ever seen.
December 17, 2011
I like the idea of this story. The insights Baumbach has ring true. And he's one of the best at writing these types of privileged, educated characters. There is a good movie in here somewhere. But the dialogue is way too aware of itself.The acting is sub par across the board. And visually this looks like a Party of 5 episode. There are some good moments but they're too few and far between.