The Undead Reviews

• Apr 05, 2021

One of the reasons why I am a huge Svengoolie fan is because of the wide variety of movies he shows. However for every classic Svengoolie shows, there are a few that miss the target. Roger Corman's "The Undead" definitely is a miss. A big one. The movie is not terrible, but it is loaded with flaws. Suspension of disbelief can only go so far. The cast does their best with the script they are given. I will admit it was kind of neat to see veteran character actors the late Richard Miller and the late Billy Barty in early roles. However that is really the only good things I can say about this movie. The script is not well written. It is very dull and confusing. Also, once the movie had ended I just did not feel any emotion for the characters. It is a very forgettable movie and it is not worth your time in my opinion. The performances alone are what is compelling me to give this movie two stars. However you need more than that to make a good movie.

• Apr 04, 2021

Not overly scary yet "The Undead" is a surprisingly engaging with a better than usual plot than you'd expect from a Roger Corman film. Mixing hypnotism, time travel, witchcraft and the very question of reincarnation and predestination, it manages to bring these all together even if done using B actors and a set that was apparently all done on in a former supermarket. Recommend, even if not highly.

• Sep 28, 2020

Now I know where Dan Curtis, brainchild behind Dark Shadows, possibly got his idea during the shows run. Although the title The Undead is deceiving, this film was surprisingly good schlock with adequate attempt at Shakespearean verse. A remake these days would ruin it. The appropriate gloomy sets and fairytale quality lend a mystical attribute that kept me mesmerized in complete childlike abandon. Sure there are bloopers & screwups but the actors did their job. The ‘50's were a good era for B-flics all around.

• Feb 23, 2014

Rather an undiscovered gem despite the 18% audience score. An entertaining reincarnation film, part 50's hypno-science and half dream-like fantasy (which from the few Corman films I recall seeing is par for the course). Scientist uses street girl in a past life regression experiment. The young lady is returned to a medieval past where she is to be killed as a witch though she is not one. The cast play the characters well and though a little campy is done with a rather seriousness. Hayes as Livia is attractive and well cast as the real witch. Welles is a standout as the gravedigger Smokin and his lines are well written for his character. The other actors/characters are fine, the devil's appearance at the end well done and overall I just really enjoyed this film. One review says it deserves a remake, well if it was handled properly yes it could be a good candidate. Still why bother as long as the original exists.

• Apr 28, 2012

Is it just me or is Roger Corman's The Undead one of the most bizarre movies he's ever made? That's saying a lot, I know, but this just really was odd. Not only was it odd, but it was also horrible. It's so slow, boring and mostly discernible at times that I couldn't wait for it to end. Another one to throw on the "I nearly fell asleep" pile. Thankfully the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew took it to town and made it a little more watchable, at least with their fun comments. If it wasn't for that, I don't think I could ever watch this again.

• Oct 29, 2011

Not all that bad for a Corman movie. A different kind of trainwreck than we normally get from him.

• Jun 10, 2011

I actually thoroughly enjoyed this time travel tale about witches and the devil. It's still a bit cheesy, but it explores some philosophical issues and makes you think about the character's choices.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 05, 2010

Corman's time travel / horror movie is fun and entertaining. I liked it.

Corman's time travel / horror movie is fun and entertaining. I liked it.

• Aug 15, 2009

Fifty two years later, the misleadingly titled "The Undead" is still the best movie about a hooker undergoing past-life regression under the guidance of a psychic trained in Nepal ever shot in an closed supermarket. For me, its major highlight was the presence of the youngest Dick Miller I've ever seen as "the leper". This was Dick Miller's eighth film and his third year in the movies, and he was just 31 (for those of you who do not recognise his name, you probably know him as the guy who sold the Terminator his artillery in the first film of the franchise, and he is in virtually every Joe Dante movie I can remember.) Of course, the film has to be seen with the MST3K commentary, which makes quite a lot of fun of its attempt at Shakespearian lingo ("What art thou supported with, Lydia?") and its total lack of historical accuracy (medieval zippers!) There are also a couple of "Wizard of Oz" references and a great joke about the "great Malibu credit fire of 1956", among other musings ("If Satan thinks you've gone too far, you've gone too far.") Quite inexplicably, the often reliable website Timelinks has rated it 8 O'Clock ("8 O'Clock is what a vid should be: A great entertainment, and a well-remembered experience. The time travel is spot on, or at the very least pursues its what-if with insight and vigor.") Considering that "Back to the Future" gets a 7, I'm wondering where that rating came from. Even with the MST3K commentary, the film is not worth half that. The flow chart for "The Undead" is now available online, but it's a big download.

• Jun 06, 2009

this is the worst movie ever... fortunately we have MST3K in our lives. MST3K movie = 4 stars