Les MisÚrables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Les MisÚrables Reviews

June 17, 2013
A middle aged French man helping a Jewish family flee from the Nazis, during the trip is told the story of Jean Valjean, whose stories in Hugo's Les MisÚrables resembles theirs. A unique adaptation with a great cinematography and a standout performance by Belmondo, who plays different characters in the different stories told. However, the original approach does not hide the many imperfections of the screenplay, which also occasionally tangles and makes the story a little to hard to keep up with.
February 22, 2012
Du Lelouch Ó son meilleur !
½ May 19, 2011
Interesting but overly draggy for me. One of those rare films that I actually fell asleep watching...
May 25, 2010
want to see this because it won best foreign-language film at the golden globes and was nominated for best foreign film by NBR
April 26, 2010
Du Lelouch Ó son meilleur !
½ July 9, 2009
Although I don't really feel excited about this adaptation, it was still sorta creative claiming [Les Miserables] keeps repeating by merging it with the backdrop of WWII, not that significant nor relevant, though. Sometimes confusing in narrative too.
June 9, 2009
My hubby made me watch this one and i thank him for that.
The movie is engrossing and a must-watch. Was a little too long and it came to a point when i thought Ziman would never see daylight again but the end made up for all the sufferings portrayed. Jean-Paul Belmondo is one oscar worthy actor. I love happy -endings so this one was a delight to watch. Definitely one of my fave movies about the Holocaust with a rare happy ending.
January 23, 2009
A very imaginative, much too obscure movie, in which the life of a man reading Les Miserables parallels Jean Valjean's.
January 22, 2009
Absolutely Magnificent. If you want to see it, ask me i have it on DVD and you will not regret it. Whatever you are thinking this film may be, you are way off. JUST SEE IT.
½ January 3, 2009
this is definetely a lot longer than it needed to be. while this takes the basic idea of les miz, the juxtaposition of nazi france is a nice touch but it gets a bit old. yeah, 3 hours is too long for a concept film. belmondo is alright though
September 12, 2008
The orginal Les Mis story set in Nazi occupied France. A story full of hope and of love in the face of adversity.
August 14, 2008
De mis preferidas, si no es que la mas de todas.
½ July 26, 2008
Pauvre Victor Hugo !
July 1, 2008
In Victor Hugo┬┤s novel he writes "history repeats every 3 generations" (something like that).
I believe that this is the essence of this adaptation. How the times of the french Revolution repeat in the 1940┬┤s. This is a Masterpiece. I cannot understand why it has not been edited on DVD for the Americas (region 1).
½ June 12, 2008
A great adaption of Les Miserable to WW2.
February 20, 2008
Flamboyant ! Du grand Lelouch !
February 14, 2008
This film will break your heart... It's probably the most enjoyable and moving film I've seen to date.
January 31, 2008
one of the best and certainly the most original version of the book
January 21, 2008
Simply stunning adaptation of Victor Hugo's original work. Can't seem to find it on DVD unfortunately.
½ December 4, 2007
One of the best adaptations of a book for cinema ever. Adds to the book by not being a slave to it. Magic!