Heat Reviews

• 3d ago

The pinnacle of quality film making.

The pinnacle of quality film making.

• May 06, 2019

I knew Michael Mann primarily as the creative force behind Miami Vice, a 1980s cop procedural that is very of it's time, that is why I was hesitant to watch this film despite the great cast and all of the positive reviews it received. I was pleasantly surprised on watching it that it lived up to the hype and was the brilliant blend of character study and breathtaking action scenes that I had been promised. After seeing this I am willing to be more adventurous with my choice in films and not disqualify a film immediate because it's classified as a crime/drama, this is a film that's as much about the personal relationships of the characters as the story of cop vs. criminals. Neil McCauley, Robert De Niro, acts as a robber whose latest mission is to steal $1.6 million from an armored car. To do this he needs the help of his underlings, chief among them the struggling Chris Shiherlis, Val Kilmer, while his new recruit Waingro, Kevin Gage, is impulsive and reckless and accidentally shoots a guard during the robbery causing problems for Neal. The man investigating Neal is Vincent Hanna, Al Pacino, who fails in his first attempt to have Neal's crew arrested. Neal unwisely decides to undertake one last heist, the usual, in order to have enough money to retire. The men's personal lives complicate their professional as Chris's ex-wife Charlene, Ashley Judd, wants to split from him, Vincent's wife Justine, Diane Venora, falls out of love with him while her daughter Lauren, Natalie Portman, faces her own struggles and Neal falls for the young and impressionable Eady, Amy Brenneman. I am generally not into action films because I find the scenes of action to be repetitive and dull but here they are exhilarating and tense. The first robbery in particularly is exciting and helps you understand why men would become addicted to this lifestyle. Mann is famed for his ability to incorporate music and â~MTV-aesthetics' into his action scenes and he does that expertly here as all of the super stylized moments of Neal and Vincent facing off while Chris carries out dangerous tasks are oddly beautiful to watch. Spatial awareness is focused upon and I felt aware of where everybody was positioned during the robberies and the climactic shootout so unlike in a Michael Bay film I remained invested throughout instead of feeling numbed to the monotony of the scenes. The only thing that I feared after watching the film was that I have developed a taste for violence which I have never previously had and although this will allow me to enjoy a lot of films more it may not be the morally correct thing to believe. The actions scenes are a lot better than 99% of what is found in action films but the film that puts Heat above the rest is it's engagement in the personal lives of it's characters. Vincent is seen to be a poor husband but a good father figure for his stepdaughter as her own father neglects her and this complexity allows for us to root for him while also understanding the toll that his job takes on him. Meanwhile we see Neal, a hardened criminal, fall in love with a woman for what seems like the first time in a long time. Although the romantic dialogue isn't exactly Nora Ephron-level it is believable that Neal wouldn't be a funny charmer and their bond isn't necessarily based on their great conversational skills. Finally, Chris's relationship with Charlene ends on an emotionally poignant note as she allows him to escape from police capture, the look that transpires between Kilmer and Judd says it all. The contrasting between Neal and Vincent occurs throughout but here it is done more lightly than in other parts of the film. The central conflict of the film ends dramatically as the two decide they are so devoted to their jobs that they will give up everything in order to take down their adversary. Throughout we see that their actions and behaviors resemble one another and a respect develops between the two of them even as their only desire appears to be to take down the other. Seeing De Niro and Pacino face off in a scene where they discuss their personal philosophies is as exciting as it should be as they deliver their lines in their typical dramatic fashion and although throughout they don't completely â~disappear' into their roles who doesn't want to see two of the great actors of the 20th century commiserate. This is definitely a film that you should watch, especially if you're not usually into this type of film, for the writing, treatment of characters and exciting action scenes. This would be one of the best action or crime/drama films I have ever seen and it is nice to have old tropes from classic films updated and made more digestible.

• Apr 29, 2019

If you haven't seen this movie yet I'm jealous.

If you haven't seen this movie yet I'm jealous.

• Apr 08, 2019

Another amazing 90s action heist flick, fantastic stunts and no CG. Wicked!

Another amazing 90s action heist flick, fantastic stunts and no CG. Wicked!

• Mar 18, 2019

From the first shot you can tell it's going to be a treat, followed by a whopper of an opening that manages to set up a lot about the movie and introduces it's slick cinematography, tense action and full on sound design. I love the characters in this movie (played excellently by a brilliant cast) and it's themes and how it handles them. I love the ending an how it's delivered, it gives you it like, 'There you go, you got your conclusion. Oh, and the hands at the end is just heart-breaking.There are flaws to it and the writing can be a bit blunt and silly sometimes but that doesn't drag it down. With it's great cinematography, top notch acting and excellent action 'Heat' is prime cinema. 8.5/10

• Mar 16, 2019

my second favorite movie ever after ironically the godfather part 2 and just ahead of the original Godfather sandwiched between both

• Mar 11, 2019

One of the best films ever created period. Fucking yes.

One of the best films ever created period. Fucking yes.

• Mar 10, 2019

Has moments of incredibly high tension, but it lost me, personally, in the middle two hours... gosh this movie is long.

• Feb 26, 2019

It is a very long movie, so viewer beware if you are not used to this kind of length for a slow paced action movie, but the engrossing crime drama has amazing performance by all of its fantastic actors. I had hoped though that Al Pacino and Robert De Niro would have shared more screen time though!

• Feb 17, 2019

Mit Heat gelang es Michael Mann den immer zu schlitzohrigen Robert De Niro und den brutalen und Rauen Al Pacino neu auszulegen. Heat ist ein Bildgewaltiges und Fasseten Reiches Krimi Epos das bis heute nicht altert und eine extreme Dichte hat. Es zeigt beide Seiten des schnellen Lebens und zeichnet von den Hauptdarstellern bis zu den Statisten ein vielschichtiges Bild seiner Charaktere. Keine Casting Entscheidung zeigt sich als wirklicher fehlgriff wie der z.B damals noch äuserst opulente Val Kilmer. Die Action berauscht und bis heute ist die legendäre Cafà (C) Szene in der das Wort mit der Mimik spielen eine völlig neue Definition bekommt, unà 1/4bertroffen. Einer der besten Filme aller Zeiten