Zhong Nan Hai bao biao (The Defender) (The Bodyguard from Beijing) Reviews

• Dec 13, 2016

Jet Li is incredible and can make the most boring, routine, and methodical security checks tense.

• Feb 02, 2016

A pretty schoolteacher (Christy Chung) witnesses a mob slaying and, after refusing to decline testifying in court, reluctantly accepts the services of a stoic bodyguard (Jet Li). The Defender, also known as The Bodyguard From Beijing, has a large number of plot points that anyone can see coming from a mile away. Its hackneyed story, however, is boosted by Jet Li's star power, lots of exciting action scenes, and the rapid-fire direction of Corey Yuen. This one doesn't even try to wander off the beaten path, but it's a solid enough entry in Jet Li's Hong Kong catalog.

• May 31, 2015

It hurts a little bit but not as bad as dying. The government is made aware of a murder whiteness that needs protection so she can testify in the trial of a corrupt and successful under boss posing as a businessman. The government has a task force some do not believe in called defenders. A defender is set to protect the girl and immediately implements unique tactics of security. A defiant but admiring whiteness pulls the spoiled brat/flirt routine why he protects her from wood be assassins. "Where in the manual does it say to hold a gun to the heads of the men you're supposed to be protecting?" Corey Yuen, director of The Legend I & II, The New Legend of Shaolin, Game of Death II, Above the Law, The Transporter, Blade of Kings, and DOA: Dead or Alive delivers The Defender. The storyline for this picture is just okay and honestly nothing special. The interactions between characters are a bit overdone but the action scenes are pretty good. The acting is average and the cast includes Jet Li, Collin Chou, and Christy Chung. "Anybody as pretty as you is bound to have a rich boyfriend." I was shocked I had not seen this and added it to my queue on Netflix. I am a huge martial arts and Jet Li fan and have watched his films for a long time. This was just so-so and tried to have more of a romantic feel than most worthwhile Li pictures. Overall, this is just average and only worth watching for Jet Li fans. "I was prepared to die." Grade: C+/B-

• Dec 01, 2014

Review: I wasn't a big fan of this film! The acting wasn't that great and the annoying spoilt brat that Jet Li was protecting, got on my nerves after a while. I honestly didn't understand why a girl whose being hunted by the mob, went shopping in the mall, days before she was about to give evidence. DUMB! Anyway, this Chinese Bodyguard type movie, took way to long to get going for me and the acting really wasn't that great. There's only one fight throughout the film, which isn't that much for a Jet Li movie, but there's plenty of running and shooting to try and keep the audience entertained. Personally, I think that there was too many annoying characters and I did lose interest after a while. Disappointing! Round-Up: I did have high expectations for this movie but I struggled to stay interested. I much prefer Jet Li in the more authentic oriental movies to the Americanized ones because he seems more natural and believable. I still have some more of his movies to go through, but so far I am enjoying this genre because it reminds me when I used to watch old Kung Fu movies on videotape. I do prefer the older Jackie Chan movies to some of the Jet Li ones but I still have quite a few of his movies to get through. I recommend this movie to people who are into their Jet Li movies about a bodyguard who has to protect a wealthy man's girlfriend who witnessed a murder and is about to give evidence against the mob. 3/10

• Mar 13, 2014

Nice movie, with great martial arts, especially in the final scenes!

Nice movie, with great martial arts, especially in the final scenes!

• Nov 30, 2013

When I stepped into this movie, I knew I was in for a maximum good time! WHY? BECAUSE OF JET FUCKING LI!!!! The story is about Lieutenant John Chang played by Jet Li who is assigned to become a bodyguard for two weeks and protect the girlfriend of Leung played by Kent Cheng Chuk-see, Michelle Yeung played by Christy Chung who witnessed the murder from a powerful businessman. John Chang immediately rubs Michelle in the wrong ways but when he lets her go loose in a shopping mall, of course the thugs pounce on her, causing him to save her as she starts to realise the dangers around her. Meanwhile an ace killer gets hired from the Mainland to avenge his brother's death who was one of the thugs at the mall. In this movie, Jet Li uses more guns than his martial arts but the action is more slick than brutal compared to his other movies. This movie is definitely worth in a collection along with Twin Warriors, Fist Of Legend and many of his other past films. The Defender (1994) gets a 10/10.

• Aug 10, 2013

Fun and straight to the point,just removed the unnecessary love story will be better.Fast pace and Additional Half-Star is given to great fights between Best Bodyguard and Best Soldier at the final act.

• Apr 03, 2013

Features a common Eastern character, the buffoon, which at times is annoying. Story has some holes but the fights are still great.

• Jan 22, 2013

Okay Li outing. Nothing real special.

Okay Li outing. Nothing real special.

• Nov 03, 2012

"The Bodyguard" (1992) lands in Hong Kong with all its excess baggage in tow; however, unlike its source material when "The Bodyguard from Beijing" is on -- it's on (thanks, almost exclusively to director Corey Yuen Kwai) -- unfortunately, it's only on about half of the time. Too many of the film's 92 minutes are screwed to the floor by uninspired characters and an utter lack of chemistry between leads Jet Li and Christy Chung. Audiences with a high threshold for long passages of wooden dialogue might just find "The Bodyguard from Beijing" an otherwise refined piece of action cinema.