Haunted - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Haunted Reviews

September 15, 2016
just brilliant acting, shot and atmosphere. One time a film smashes the book. Take note, the second book is far better and the third is perhaps the worst you'll ever read
October 27, 2015
I enjoyed this film and this period. What a quirky ending!
April 24, 2015
Shouldn't a movie called Haunted be even mildly scary????A wistful story but even at that it's mediocre.
November 23, 2014
A so-so horror movie. Started fairly well, built well with a fair amount of intrigue, then unraveled to an extent at the end. After all the intrigue, the revelation and punchline just seemed lame and contrived, and created a few plot holes.

Was reasonably entertaining, however.

Movie will mostly be remembered (by men, especially) for Kate Beckinsale. This was one of her first big screen appearances and she is stunningly beautiful, and delivers a solid performance.

Decent performance too from Aidan Quinn.

Cast also includes Sir John Gielgud in a supporting role. He is there to give the movie some credibility and star-power.
July 27, 2014
Epic!!!!!!! Go see it on amazon
½ July 27, 2014
Aidan Quinn proves to be a talented actor in this underrated creepy horror/mystery film
December 16, 2013
The creepiest part of this supposed "ghost story" is the incestuous relationship between siblings Christina and Robert - And Simon had a scene of skinny-dipping with his sister as well. Nothing remotely mysterious about the story line (80% of critics liking this film is more curious), and the acting is mediocre at best.
December 17, 2012
Kate Beckinsale nude, 'nuff said!
December 10, 2012
Wow. This was pretty awful.
December 8, 2012
Before M. Night Shyamalan snapped the twist-ending's neck this was probably a rather novel idea.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth watching. Will find and devour with my eyes!
November 19, 2012
Saw this film once, years ago when I was about 15 or 16. I remembered that I loved it, but couldn't remember much else. I had forgotten that Kate Beckinsale and Aidan Quinn were in it. Also John Gielgud, which is odd, since I love all these actors. Last week after searching online for the film's name, (which I half-remembered, thinking it was "The Haunted" instead of just "Haunted"), I came across it IMDB and then began to look for it to watch again, which I did today. It was as good as I remembered it. I remembered most of twists in the plot, which I won't reveal, and was stunned all over again with the breathtaking scenery of the English countryside and the period clothing. Beckinsale was just lovely, and of course, Quinn was dashing as always he is. Gielgud, of course, was ever the professional and turned in a remarkable, though small, performance as the kindly country doctor. This film comes highly recommended by me, but remember that if you have a problem with nuidity or sexual content, this film may not be for you (or more precisely, your children). Also, viewrs should remember that this film was made on a rather small budget seventeen years ago, so the special effects in some places aren't exactly spectacular, though this should by no means be off-putting to the viewer in general. So, if you like a good, dramatic ghost story, well acted and tastefully done, then I suggest you check this out.
October 29, 2012
A good, old-fashioned ghost story.
July 26, 2012
I really loved this victorian Haunted Terror....the ending was a good mind Fxxk...I didnt see that coming.
July 23, 2012
Looks creepy. I think I will like it!
½ June 16, 2012
For fans of Kate Beckinsale the movie "Haunted" is certainly a guilty pleasure - why guilty, not because it's a bad movie but simply because the young British actress has more nudity in this picture than in all her other movies combined.
Two years prior to this movie Beckinsale has her first topless scene in the movie "Uncovered," and here she throws all caution to the wind - along with most of her clothes. It's a somewhat uncharacteristically scary movie from Lewis Gilbert, the man who gave us some of the silliest James Bond movies such as "You Only Live Twice" and "Moonraker."
In this 1996 movie the ever-watchable Aidan Quinn plays Dr. Ash, a skeptic who accepts the invitation to investigate supernatural goings-on at a creepy country estate. Once there he begins to witness some unexplainable occurrences and for those of you looking for a twist in the end of your stories - this one has a doozey. Not to give too much away, but nothing is quite as it seems and this one gives they yet-to-be-made "Sixth Sense" a run for its money in more ways than one.
Adapted from the James Herbert novel this movie is probably one of my all-time favorite haunted house tales and joining Quinn and Beckinsale are the likes of Anthony Andrews, Anna Massey and John Gielgud (in what is essentially an extended cameo). It's a brilliant gothic tale with plenty to recommend about it. I saw it with my roomies, who are all horror-movie aficionado's and they all agreed it was a good show.
Is this movie scary - yes, does it thrill - yes it does that too. Is it a good purchase - yes, and if you are a Beckinsale fan it's a definite must for your collection.
April 6, 2012
I will pass on this one.
February 19, 2012
Love these old films! Plot line was good. Very atmospheric and chilling. Good watch
January 7, 2012
Finally after some many years, I found it.
December 24, 2011
I thought Kate Beckinsale was beautifully beguiling in this film.