Sabrina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sabrina Reviews

August 20, 2016
The remake is a charming, well-crafted love story, the most common theme in movie history, of Cinderella finding her prince. Starring Harrison Ford, who has never been given an Oscar, but here is one of 5 or 6 he deserved, Julia Ormond, and Greg Kinnear. This is a beautiful movie that is irresistibly appealing. The chauffeur's daughter is romanced by both ultra-rich brothers. Despite what the majority of professional movie critics say, this is an example of a remake that is far better than the original. Julia Ormond is a far better actress than the overrated Audrey Hepburn, and also far more attractive. The vastly underrated Harrison Ford's performance is far better than the subpar effort Bogart gave in the original, perhaps in part because he was playing opposite Hepburn, who he found unattractive and a mediocre actress. The script was better in the remake (perhaps because the original ran into time pressure) and the love story became more believable because of it. Finally, although it is politically incorrect to say so, the remake was in color, which greatly improved the viewing experience of this film. Oh, and one more thing: The 1950s hairstyle, eyebrow makeup, and dresses worn by Hepburn were hideous.
June 13, 2016
Chauffeurs daughter falls in love in this tired remake.
May 18, 2016
Okay, but not as good as the original.

The Larrabees are a wealthy family, living in a palatial estate on Long Island. Oldest brother Linus (played by Harrison Ford) is the formal, dour businessman, running the family company. David (Greg Kinnear) is a playboy. Among the staff living on the estate is the family chauffeur, Fairchild (John Wood), and his shy, awkward, plain daughter, Sabrina (Julia Ormond). Sabrina has had a crush on David for most of her life but he has hardly noticed her. Sabrina goes to study in Paris and comes back, two years later, a changed woman. She's sophisticated and beautiful and soon catches David's eye. However, David is engaged to Elizabeth Tyson (Lauren Holly), the daughter of a business mogul whose company Linus wants to merge with that of the Larrabees. If Sabrina wrecks the David-Elizabeth relationship it would likely spell the end of the business merger. Linus sets out to prevent Sabrina from getting in the way but in the process falls for her himself.

The original Sabrina was released in 1954 and was pretty good (though not brilliant). Directed by one of the all-time greats, Billy Wilder, and starring Humphrey Bogart as Linus, Audrey Hepburn as Sabrina and William Holden as David, it oozed class and style ( though substance was in shorter supply). Plot was charming though a bit clumsy and not entirely solid. Some elements were too convenient or too contrived. Bogart and Holden were too old for their roles but Audrey Hepburn more than made up for this, capturing the beauty, sweetness, charm and elegance of Sabrina perfectly.

This 1995 remake faithfully follows the original plot, while updating the settings, technology etc to 1995. However, the director and writer didn't seem to put much effort into updating the characters, as all they seem like they are 1950s characters in a 1990s movie. There's a stuffiness to it all that is quite irritating. Some contemporisation of the characters was in order.

Where this stuffiness is most noticeable is with Julia Ormond as Sabrina. Sure, it would have been impossible to find someone to fill Audrey Hepburn's shoes, but Ormond doesn't even come close. She is beautiful and elegant but lacks Hepburn's charm, sweetness and warmth, coming across as aloof and wooden.

Overall, a reasonable romantic-drama, but not a must-see.
May 1, 2016
thoroughly enjoyed it
½ December 28, 2015
Pure cheese. Love Harrison Fords dry sarcasm and awkwardness.
½ December 6, 2015
The more I watched this movie the more I grew to enjoy it. The actors; Harrison Ford (as Linus Larrabee), and Julia Ormond (as the Sabrina) did in my opinion a very good job. At first I perceived Sabrina as poorly portrayed, but as I got to know her throughout the film I realized that Ormond gave Sabrina an image that can be related to in many ways. The falling for a man, how she discovers herself and through that she sees the world in a beautiful way. In the way that she doesn't need a man's love for her to love who she is.
Not only is this film a good motivation for women but it shows a lot about the American working population compared to the European working population.
through this movie you discover that Europeans know how to live, and love what they live for. They know how to work hard but most importantly they know how to stop working and enjoy themselves now. Americans look for that AMERICAN DREAM (the financial stability to last their lives). Americans work so hard all the time for something in the future instead of living now when they can.
Sabrina repeats the notion that working constantly is too much and playing is never going to be enough. In Europe, they understand balance between working and relaxing for their own personal enjoyment. They understand that life is meant to lived right now not in the future.
I loved this movie! the humor is great when you are paying attention to the dialog and keep up with the plot.
October 25, 2015
A remake of the 1954 Billy Wilder movie, this one doesn't quite live up to the original, although there are a few things it does better. Harrison Ford is Linus Larabee, the eldest son of the wealthy Larabee family, who must intervene to prevent his younger brother David (Greg Kinnear) from running off with their chauffeur's daughter Sabrina (Julia Ormond). You see, David is engaged to the daughter of a business tycoon whose company the Larabees want to buy -- no wedding, no merger.

In the original film, Linus's wooing of Sabrina is never presented as anything other than an attempt to keep her from David. In this remake, it's more ambiguous what Linus's intentions are. This is partly because Harrison Ford is a better actor than Humphrey Bogart in the original, but for a character who's supposed to be a stone-cold businessman, his ability to fool Sabrina and the audience seems too unlikely.

The humour in the remake isn't as broad or obvious. This is a more subtle film, but for that reason is also less entertaining. I will say, however, that the motives and behaviour of the characters in the finale of the remake are more believable than those of the original.

The remake follows the plot of the original very closely, much more than most remakes I've seen. I think the script ties itself in knots trying to find a modern way of portraying 1950s attitudes. This film might have done better to take more liberties with the plot.
½ September 14, 2015
One of my secret favorites....
½ August 30, 2015
It's hard to have a successful remake when Audrey Hepburn was in the original and you're trying to top that. Not possible.
June 6, 2015
The idea is appealing, and the acting pretty good - at least Harrison and Ormond. I haven't seen the 1954 original - my rating for this movie might change when I see it.
May 7, 2015
Sabrina is a decent film. It is about a a stodgy workaholic millionaire falls in love with his chauffeur's daughter after she goes to Paris. Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Sydney Pollack did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor and drama.
May 6, 2015
what a fantastic film!!
½ April 25, 2015
Not up to the original but it's hard to screw up this story.The beautiful Julia Ormond is just so damn easy to look at plus Pollack doesn't let us down.
½ April 21, 2015
Alright at best. I felt the performances we're a little dull and could have been upped a little bit. I think that would have helped the movie out a lot
½ April 21, 2015
April 13, 2015
Very entertaining from start to finish.
March 15, 2015
Have not seen the original Sabrina but this version is absolutely heart-warming and it is directed by Sydney Pollack, wow! Harrison Ford is an absolute heart-throb.
January 29, 2015
The players are worthy imitators but the film is not a patch on the original. Full review later.
December 19, 2014
A solid remake of the old version. I love the original, but this is a sweet modern remake-- with a different overall feel. Ormond makes a fabulous awkward woman-child turned awkward sophisticate. Sabrina's always been at heart a bit of a preachy character but Ormond pulls off those preachy moments nicely without seeming like a lecture. Harrison ford is charming as usual, even when he should be considered dispicable-- he makes a fantastic Linus.
December 5, 2014
Like a fairy tale... All mesmerizing.