Cry, the Beloved Country - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cry, the Beloved Country Reviews

November 25, 2016
Good, but not quite great.
June 18, 2016
A tremendously moving story about forgiveness and reconciliation of two fathers who lost their sons in the apartheid-stricken Johannesburg.
September 10, 2015
Outstanding! So much more engaging than the book. A wonderful job!
April 23, 2015
Somewhat shallow and sentimental. But I managed to kill one hour and 51 minutes. South Africa is indeed a beautiful country, but I wasn't crying.
½ March 25, 2014
good remake but i prefer the 1951 version of this tale best.
½ March 21, 2014
fine movie, but, as the old adage says, the book was better.
½ March 21, 2013
Decent movie. A little slow....
December 26, 2012
The book is a wonderful synopsis of what South Africa was like at the time and is still now.
½ July 28, 2012
Not a bad drama. James Earl Jones and Richard Harris, as expected, are great. John Barry delivers yet another beautiful score, reminiscent of "Out of Africa"; a remake of a 1951 film.
July 20, 2012
I Really Like To Live Here In America And I Love It Here.
½ January 1, 2012
"I have this great fear in my heart that, one day, when the white man turns to loving he will find that we are turned to hating."-Father Theophilus Msimangu (Vusi Kunene)
½ November 1, 2011
Haven't seen the original yet but I liked this remake very much.
June 9, 2011
We had to watch this movie in one of my classes, it's another story about apartheid. So, if you're interested in the subject, it's not that bad. If you're just looking for a drama or an enjoyable film, you may be disappointed. Overall, this movie is just okay.
February 14, 2011
While I have never read the novel, I must say that I truly enjoyed this movie. The scene where Richard Harris' character and the character played by James Earl Jones meets, brought me to tears. Seldom is a director and a group of actors able to share something so completely without speaking it plainly. This story is tragic, holy, revealing, and spiritual. This movie inspired me to want to be a better and more complete person, in a way that truly surprised me. It made the idea of being a good man, something attainable, simple and noble.
December 4, 2010
Ok story, but where this movie shines is in having to chance to see James Earl Jones and Richard Harris on the same screen together doing some fantastic acting.
August 28, 2010
After reading the novel for school, I decided to give the movie a go. "Cry, The Beloved Country", as a film, is a decent adaptation of the classic book by Alan Paton. In this, James Earl Jones plays Kumalo (and does a fine job doing so), and Richard Harris plays Jarvis (also does a wonderful job). The plot differs slightly from the novel, but since I believe in separating the two, this stands alone in my mind. The direction in this is very well done, as is the cinematography. The score can get a little tedious at times by not fitting the situations, and the script borrows heavily from the novel (even to the point of literally saying lines from the book). I do think this is a very underrated film, although it could have been so much more with the source material. Overall, this is a nicely done film with great performances by Jones and Harris.
March 29, 2010
good and perfect movie i have ever seen
February 16, 2010
Funny, how small the world can be.
½ October 16, 2009
impressed how close it followed the book; my sweetie found this rental at a rental store in West Salem, just for me!