Sense and Sensibility - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sense and Sensibility Reviews

½ September 29, 2015
The first act may seem like usual Jane Austen material, but this gradually becomes more intricately engrossing and emotionally stirring thanks to a dedicated script, precise direction, and the unforgettable performances.
August 28, 2015
My favorite version of this story and watch it a couple of times each year.
August 23, 2015
No se trata de lo que una película enseña visualmente, es lo que puede llegar a hacerte sentir. Al igual que el libro, poderosa y bella película.
August 2, 2015
this movie is a brilliant classic, with a fantastic screenplay and is acted perfectly!
I love places there, the countryside is so beautiful, ans its filmed so amazingly. Thompson´s script is incredible.
I have to admit that this is the best adaptation of Jane Austen so far.
½ August 2, 2015
A very good adaptation, a beautiful film that has stayed true to Jayne Austn's book. Emma Thompson, Kate Winslett, Hugh Grant all just deliver outstanding performances.
July 29, 2015
Staying true to the novel, Sense and Sensibility is a beautiful adaptation of Jane Austen's classic!
June 7, 2015
Ang Lee Is One Of My Favorite Film Directors, Two Films That He Has Directed Which Are 2000's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon And 2005's Brokeback Mountain Are Two Of My Favorite Films.
May 27, 2015
It's a shame that I didn't get the chance to see the movie until now... I love Jane Austen so it's no wonder that I enjoyed the story so much!!!:) But the acting was brilliant as well!!!:) Definitely a movie I would like to see more than once!!!:)
½ May 26, 2015
Wonderfully executed with straightforward, brilliant themes about the struggle between reason and emotion.
April 1, 2015
"Sense and Sensibility" is a well-executed adaptation of Jane Austin's first published novel. Between the stunning scenery, perfect casting, and director Ang Lee's delicate treatment of the story, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood step right off of the page and into our hearts. As one might expect, the film moves a little slow but the story is so addictive that you won't mind. The atmosphere of the English countryside is magic and the indoor shots of high class homes have a true transporting power; however, the true power of this story comes from unexpected surprises and the need to know what happens next. Emma Thompson is stunning as Elinor and it is easy to see why she received four Oscar nominations in the early 90's. On top of her Best Actress nomination for this role, she won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. She is perfectly matched with Kate Winslet, who earned a Best Supporting Actress nomination. This was only Winslet's second feature film role but it is easy to see the natural acting ability that has enabled her to be a significant presence in the film industry. These leading ladies deliver the rich dialogue in a flowing manner that makes it as beautiful to hear as it is to comprehend. The supporting characters are also well-cast, from the deep voice of Alan Rickman (Colonel Brandon) and the good looks of Greg Wise (Willoughby) to the character acting of Imelda Staunton (Charlotte) and a young Hugh Laurie. I did not care for Hugh Grant at first, but his delivery of Edward's final dialogue brought a tear to my eye. I wouldn't call myself a Jane Austin fan but this rendition of "Sense and Sensibility" has inspired me to look deeper into her world and experience more of her stories.
½ April 1, 2015
Sense and Sensibility is a really good movie that I'm surprised that Ang Lee directed this. This movie was honestly not my type, and with that said, I didn't really care that much about what's going on. The cast are great, the plot is fine I guess, and the writing is good which I'm glad to see that Emma Thompson adapt it really well even though I've never read the book. It had some funny moments but I didn't think it was that funny. The costumes are good, and the set designs are really good. When it gets to the middle when lots of drama moments were going on, that's when I was starting to get interested in. The drama moments are really effective, and it makes me learn more about the characters. Sense and Sensibility may not be my favorite Ang Lee movie, but it's still an enjoyable flick for Ang Lee and Jane Austen's fans.
March 31, 2015
Was great to finally watch even if I am 20 years late to it. It's another impressive gem in director Ang Lee's rather diverse career.
March 28, 2015
Jane Austen's tale - skillfully written and overlooked by Emma Thompson for the adaptation (and won an Oscar for her work of adapting the screenplay) - really put the [sick] problems of classes and inheritance to a clearer light as this fine period drama done a nice job communicating the power of sisterly love over few heartbreaks and lowered class with the cast performing well and putting some charm and beauty to their characters. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
½ March 16, 2015
"Sense and Sensibility" is a long period drama that might have been more suited to a miniseries, but it's pretty great as a film as well. A nice, inoffensive historical piece about 2 sisters (played by Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet, both deservedly Oscar nominated) who go through trials and tribulations and loves and losses after they're forced to move out of the lavish house they grew up in. The cast is rounded out by dozens of great supporting performances, with Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman, Greg Wise, Imelda Staunton, Hugh Laurie, Myriam Francois-Serrah, James Fleet, Elizabeth Spriggs, Gemma Jones, Harriet Walter and Imogen Stubbs all giving some of their best work. Ang Lee's direction is pretty much perfect, working with cinematographer Michael Coulter to capture the beauty of the British countryside and the city of London, though it's of course limited to the richer, more privileged lifestyles of its Upper-class Victorians. Emma Thompson won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay, and it's easy to see why, with great, enjoyable dialogue and a great sense of character and thematic development. If you don't like Jane Austen and Austen-like films (i.e. half of the period dramas that came after this highly influential movie), then you probably won't like this, but it's great for everyone else; a nice, pleasant, genuine piece of escapism.
½ February 23, 2015
There's a lot to be said about the popularity of classic English romance. Having never watched more than 20 seconds of Downton Abbey, I can't rightly say that I'm a fan of the genre. I enjoy European films about class, but when the main focus is romance all I see are uptight, overdressed people being silly about their station. It's far more interesting to criticize the objectification of love than to pretend there was any romance during the Romantic Period. While this movie has much wit, I don't see any moral lesson that translates to the modern age.
While none of the main characters pass the Bechdel test, I imagine that's more a sign of the times than a bad script. The only way to move forward in that era was either as a wife or a spinster, so what's a girl to do? However, based on Jane Austen's reputation, I was expecting much more of a fight from these women. Why they fall in love with these men is not obvious, other than the fact they are threatened with poverty. Mr. Willoughby's a Manic Pixie Dream Boy who reads sonnets and snipping lox of hair, and his telegraphed downfall doesn't feel rewarding in any modern feminist context.
All that being said, I still found this movie is well written, well acted, well directed, and beautifully designed. Much of the imagery by director Ang Lee evokes memories of oil painted vistas and still-life fruitbowls. The tales is a game of rules and manners; agreements and dishonesty; pheasants and terriers; and it is skillfully crafted. But add all that together what do we have? A story about class struggle that is too frivolous to be truly great.
February 13, 2015
not the kind of movie I like, pretty boring too
February 4, 2015
Emotional and no disparity withe novel.
December 13, 2014
When I told my parents I wanted to watch this movie, all they would tell me was that it was horrible and was basically the worst movie they'd ever seen. I am extremely pleased to say that they were incorrect. Sense and Sensibility is a beautiful period piece that is filled to the brim with incredible performances. You don't watch this movie for the story, which is admittedly kind of soap opera ish, in my opinion anyway. You watch this movie to be immersed in another time and to hear really well written dialogue. If that sounds in anyway appealing to you, then you'll love it, though I do recognize the fact that it's not everyone's cup of tea and I really do understand if you don't like it. Anyway, I really liked it and I say go watch it.
December 9, 2014
I confess the only reason why I've watched in the first place was for Kate Winslet, but it turns out to be a great adaptation of one Jane Austen's greatest story.
December 6, 2014
All the personality nuances of the primary and secondary characters have been captured while preserving the plot of this Austen treasure. No easy feat in a two hour movie. Well done!