Sense and Sensibility - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sense and Sensibility Reviews

February 24, 2016
Jane Austen's writing is a precarious balancing act between "romantic drama" and "comedy of errors". Ang Lee masterfully adapts one of her most famous novels into this droll, poised, and arresting film. The director's tight sense of pacing is a big factor in the success of this feature, but a lot of credit is due to an excellent cast that includes Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant, Harriet Walter, Hugh Laurie, Gemma Jones,James Fleet, and Emma Thompson (who also wrote the screenplay). Jane Austen can easily become a slog when her stories are transferred to celluloid, but a murderer's row of talent makes this effort into something that succeeds admirably.
January 23, 2016
Good period piece with smart adaption, good direction and a strong cast only suffers slightly from pacing. Otherwise a must watch.
January 22, 2016
It is hard to believe anybody gets happily married in 19th century England with all the rules and customs. Jane Austen writes interesting books, and the actors in this adaptation are very convincing.
½ January 21, 2016
my favourite version of this often film jane austin tale wrote a paper about it in college comparing it to the book.
½ January 15, 2016
wonderful, if a bit shortened (: book was more enjoyable of course .. but the acting here is great. thought the buildup of Darcy & Elinor's relationship could've been better.
½ January 14, 2016
Beautiful just beautiful
December 10, 2015
The finest screen adaptation of Jane Austen, every character is perfectly portrayed; Emma Thompson's finest moment, for both the screenplay and her acting.
October 15, 2015
The acting is what really makes this movie stand out. Emma Thompson plays a very timid and reasonable young woman, and I actually liked the character she played, which is saying something when I consider how much I disliked her, prior to watching this film. Winslet was perfect for the role and she pulled it off very well, acting as an immature young girl who's looking for love at every turn. If I had one problem, it would probably be Hugh Grant as Edward, the nice and charming young man who falls for Thompson's character. Grant did good in his performance, but I felt like I've seen too many movies with him as the jerk and womanizer to be taken seriously in this. It's not a huge problem, but a problem regardless.

Rickman as the quiet and non-villain gave a great performance as you don't usually see him in this kind of role. He's usually the villain or portrayed as the villain. But, here, he gives calm and easy to follow and enjoy performance. Another problem, however, is the way the movie ends.

I know that's how it ends in the book, but hear me out. I didn't like how little chemistry Winslet's and Rickman's characters got out of each other. Yeah, they marry in the end and it's cute, but they only share like 2 scenes where they clearly are in love. I know they had to sort of back away from that, given that technically, Winslet's character is only 15 and Rickman's is 35. But, I still think they could've worked a little more in. The characters are great and the story is too. Give it a watch if you haven't yet.
½ September 29, 2015
The first act may seem like usual Jane Austen material, but this gradually becomes more intricately engrossing and emotionally stirring thanks to a dedicated script, precise direction, and the unforgettable performances.
August 28, 2015
My favorite version of this story and watch it a couple of times each year.
August 23, 2015
No se trata de lo que una película enseña visualmente, es lo que puede llegar a hacerte sentir. Al igual que el libro, poderosa y bella película.
August 2, 2015
this movie is a brilliant classic, with a fantastic screenplay and is acted perfectly!
I love places there, the countryside is so beautiful, ans its filmed so amazingly. Thompson´s script is incredible.
I have to admit that this is the best adaptation of Jane Austen so far.
½ August 2, 2015
A very good adaptation, a beautiful film that has stayed true to Jayne Austn's book. Emma Thompson, Kate Winslett, Hugh Grant all just deliver outstanding performances.
July 29, 2015
Staying true to the novel, Sense and Sensibility is a beautiful adaptation of Jane Austen's classic!
June 7, 2015
Ang Lee Is One Of My Favorite Film Directors, Two Films That He Has Directed Which Are 2000's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon And 2005's Brokeback Mountain Are Two Of My Favorite Films.
May 27, 2015
It's a shame that I didn't get the chance to see the movie until now... I love Jane Austen so it's no wonder that I enjoyed the story so much!!!:) But the acting was brilliant as well!!!:) Definitely a movie I would like to see more than once!!!:)
½ May 26, 2015
Wonderfully executed with straightforward, brilliant themes about the struggle between reason and emotion.
April 1, 2015
"Sense and Sensibility" is a well-executed adaptation of Jane Austin's first published novel. Between the stunning scenery, perfect casting, and director Ang Lee's delicate treatment of the story, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood step right off of the page and into our hearts. As one might expect, the film moves a little slow but the story is so addictive that you won't mind. The atmosphere of the English countryside is magic and the indoor shots of high class homes have a true transporting power; however, the true power of this story comes from unexpected surprises and the need to know what happens next. Emma Thompson is stunning as Elinor and it is easy to see why she received four Oscar nominations in the early 90's. On top of her Best Actress nomination for this role, she won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. She is perfectly matched with Kate Winslet, who earned a Best Supporting Actress nomination. This was only Winslet's second feature film role but it is easy to see the natural acting ability that has enabled her to be a significant presence in the film industry. These leading ladies deliver the rich dialogue in a flowing manner that makes it as beautiful to hear as it is to comprehend. The supporting characters are also well-cast, from the deep voice of Alan Rickman (Colonel Brandon) and the good looks of Greg Wise (Willoughby) to the character acting of Imelda Staunton (Charlotte) and a young Hugh Laurie. I did not care for Hugh Grant at first, but his delivery of Edward's final dialogue brought a tear to my eye. I wouldn't call myself a Jane Austin fan but this rendition of "Sense and Sensibility" has inspired me to look deeper into her world and experience more of her stories.
½ April 1, 2015
Sense and Sensibility is a really good movie that I'm surprised that Ang Lee directed this. This movie was honestly not my type, and with that said, I didn't really care that much about what's going on. The cast are great, the plot is fine I guess, and the writing is good which I'm glad to see that Emma Thompson adapt it really well even though I've never read the book. It had some funny moments but I didn't think it was that funny. The costumes are good, and the set designs are really good. When it gets to the middle when lots of drama moments were going on, that's when I was starting to get interested in. The drama moments are really effective, and it makes me learn more about the characters. Sense and Sensibility may not be my favorite Ang Lee movie, but it's still an enjoyable flick for Ang Lee and Jane Austen's fans.