Restoration Reviews

• Jul 09, 2018

Good performance from downey jr. , u know, one of his earlier roles where he really gets to display some acting and not just play Iron Man over and over. Great costumes and production design and Sam Neill is outstanding. Just a bit long and slow

• May 08, 2018

Restoration is a movie that is way more engaging than it has any right to be. Robert Downey, Jr. is the main reason why, because he takes us on a complete journey through the life of this young man as he grows from self-centered cad to caring physician. There are a number of segments of the film that are heartfelt and they connected with me emotionally. However it’s not the strongest story structure. This is presented like a biopic that walks through a number of key moments in the life of Robert Merivel. Sometimes the vignettes work, and there are plenty of times when they fail or even seem repetitive. I also didn’t think they created a strong enough case for how he was becoming better at being a physician. Since so many of the medical practices at the time were little more than guesswork, it didn’t seem like he had any way to grow wiser as the film progressed. Luckily, they focused less on the medicine and more on the character growth. The other flaw in the film is the romance story, because those relationships were not handled well, particularly the one with Meg Ryan. There was so little chemistry between her and Robert Downey, Jr. that I had a hard time seeing why they ran off together. The cast is loaded with high quality talent, though, and most of them did a good job with their performances. I think Restoration is a film that doesn’t quite live up to the potential of the cast and story, but it was entertaining enough for me to watch it again someday, and maybe even recommend it to others who like period dramas.

• Jan 23, 2016

Excellent movie. One of the best I ever watched

Excellent movie. One of the best I ever watched

• Sep 15, 2015

An incredibly bizarre collection of famous faces in a jumbled and disjointed narrative. Everything in this film, from the costumes to the acting, is just over the top crazy and weird.

• Sep 11, 2015

Fenomenalen film! Ova e vtorata najdobra uloga na Robert Downey Jr. posle Chaplin, za koj dobi Oskar. Ne e za frlanje celata ekipa: Sam Neill, Meg Ryan, Ian McKellen, Hugh Grant itn...

• Apr 25, 2015

A real hodge podge of an uneven movie.

A real hodge podge of an uneven movie.

• Mar 31, 2015

An entertaining film that reminded me somewhat of Barry Lyndon, but not based on a classic book, and with an all important conclusion-the dissolute character changes his ways in the end, with a happier ending. More than optimistic about the human capacity to learn and grow. Fine acting for all but Meg Ryan,

• Jun 21, 2014

Visually impressive. Emotionally hollow.

Visually impressive. Emotionally hollow.

• Jun 15, 2014

Different period piece, dramedy, it's sort of a Bildungsroman, where a man finds his true passions. Meg Ryan out of place? Hardly! Story veers all over, hard to follow if one does not know English history well, I had to google a bunch of stuff when watching the movie to help it make sense. Entertaining, but gets really touchy-feely at the end. If one doesnt enjoy that, it will turn them off. Its good points is that it doesnt have an agenda, just tells a story. Bad points is its meandering story and 180 switch from kind of a farce to a very dark love story.

• Feb 15, 2014