Black Sheep - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Sheep Reviews

February 10, 2013
Made simply because 'Tommy Boy' was an unexpected success, clearly somewhat rushed and not fully thought through. I have read that 'Paramount' just wanted to team Spade and Farley together again asap, so we have this blunt comedy.

The idea isn't too bad, its all about a political campaign battle between the brother of Farley's character and the wholesome all American 'Evelyn Tracy' played by Christine Ebersole. As you can guess Farley's character is a clumsy embarrassment to his brother (played by Tim Matheson) and inadvertently causes all manner of horrendous goofs whilst in the public eye. This of course puts his brothers campaign in jeopardy of which his rival tries to take full advantage of.

Same old Farley I'm afraid which isn't too bad if you like the guy. I have said before and I'll say again I do like his antics, he is a funny fella and his films are nice feel good films where you can forget about any troubles you have. I also like how he tends to play the everyday man, regular Joe's, makes you connect with him that bit more.

Despite liking Farley this film does feel very forced with very little to show. The laughs are few and far between and what we do get is light at best. There are whole segments in the film where nothing really happens, the sequence where the pair find a bat in their wood cabin and spend almost ten minutes of the film dealing with it. There is a lot of lame filler which really has nothing to do with the plot, its just there to try and gain a laugh whilst padding out the film, or so it seems.

Even as a Farley fan I found it hard to enjoy this, there really doesn't seem to be any point to Farley and Spade being together here and half of what happens is irrelevant. I can't complain too much because this is obviously a dumb comedy, its not suppose to be anything else, but even so it feels very cheap and half hearted. In the end it really does feel like the two leads were simply thrown together for a fast money spinner off the back of a much better earlier comedy.
½ September 6, 2010
"I liked it better the first time when it was called Tommy Boy!" was the general response to this film when it came out. Yes, it does look like a replica of Spade and Farley's previous film on the surface, but the plot and theme are somewhat different. I would recommend that only fans of this comedy duo watch this movie. It's not as good as Tommy Boy, but if you just want more of this duo, you'll enjoy it anyway.
½ July 3, 2010
This is the type of film that if you watch it, it becomes less and less funnier with every viewing. This is essential a rehash of ideas previously written in Farley's other comedy, Tommy Boy. Tommy was a superior film to this, but not by much. Still despite all the flaws, Chris Farley is a better comedian than Will Ferrell. But this is not Farley best work. Tommy Boy is his funniest. Unfortunately, Farley did have a chance to really make a laugh out loud comedy, his career was tragically cut short. But for what it's worth this was his lowest point as an actor. He make me laugh more than Will Ferrell. Black Sheep, is an average comedy with a few laughs, but nothing great or memorable to be found here.
November 30, 2006
This is bloody average and definitely not funny as it's not educational etc. It tries to rely on Chris Farley's endless pratfalls and stupidity. David Spade, on the other hand, provides sarcasm that isn't funny at all. Overall, pretty dumb and desperate attempt at comedy.
September 10, 2009
Chris Farley stars as the goofy brother of Al Donnelly (Tim Matheson) who is a candidate for the governor of Washington state. Mike Donelly (Chris Farley) just can't stay out of trouble and he keeps unwillingly getting set up by not so good guys that want to use Mike to make his brother look bad as a candidate for governor. As a matter of fact, Mike gets in so much trouble that Al hires a worker (David Spade) to try and keep him out of trouble.
I've seen "Tommy Boy," "Black Sheep," and "Beverly Hills Ninja," and I have to say without a doubt that "Black Sheep" is my favorite of the three. It has a lot of parts that had me laughing real hard. It's a shame that Chris Farley died and that there won't ever be anymore great comedy movies that he's in. Whether you're one of his fans or not, if you like comedy movies, either watch or rent "Black Sheep." I would buy it if it was me, it's well worth it! NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001.
June 4, 2009
This and Tommy Boy are my favorite Chris Farley movies. He was halarious and one of the most tallented people out there who knew how to bring the laughs. Wish he was still here making more movies like these. Love this movie. Great with a bunch of laughs just like all his work.
March 25, 2007
Pretty much a character-type sequel to Tommy Boy in a way, this is still funny and has soome great comic moments in it.
½ September 24, 2007
½ March 2, 2007
Too bad for David Spade that Chris Farley had to die so young.
January 4, 2007
man I miss chris farley. flippin hilarious
½ December 27, 2006
November 9, 2006
It was okay.
May 14, 2012
Chris Farley and David Spade collide on screen once again. The result is not as funny as "Tommy Boy," but "Black Sheep" still has some very genuinely hilarious moments. If this wasn't a Chris Farley movie, I would not have rated it so high, but Chris is fun enough to watch, that even when the script is crossing the line into lame territory, he still manages to make it fun. All these years later, and the man is still without equal.
April 11, 2008
Absolutely hated by critics, but to me its one of my guilty pleasure flicks. Chris Farley was born to make people laugh.
June 28, 2011
it's one of the most hillarious, nonstop raucous and laugh out loud funniest of chris farley and david spade since, 'tommy boy'! A
February 16, 2006
Farley and Spade as co-stars scientifically proves that two wrongs do not make a right.
½ September 6, 2009
Funny, but definitely not as good as Tommy Boy.
February 9, 2009
It was pretty funny, but not great.
½ July 20, 2008
Ill watch anything starring farley and spade i loved them together and farley is dearly missed!
July 9, 2008
Not as good as Tommy Boy.