Othello - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Othello Reviews

½ June 25, 2016
I've read Othello in high school so I had a bit of background. Others may not be so in tune, but its a good film based on the Shakespeare tragedy, with a lot of talent doing their best.
½ May 11, 2016
The strengths here are many, and the faults are glaring.
December 10, 2015
Othello Review
Personally, I enjoyed the movie more than the play because it was easier to understand. In the play Othello, sometimes it was hard to understand the emotions certain characters, such as Iago and Othello were displaying. As well as clarity, there was more action in the movie, which made it more interesting. I thought that the play, was somewhat boring. I felt like nothing was happening; it was all talk and no one carried anything out until the very end. The planning was intricate and cunning, but hearing about it for pages on end can become laborious and monotonous. Even then, when the plan does get carried out, almost everyone dies. Moreover, you do not obtain knowledge of where the characters end up after the plan is carried out. You know that Iago goes to jail, but that is the most they tell you. I would have liked some details because he was the ?mastermind? of the whole play. That said, I appreciate the techniques that Shakespeare used and the characters themselves because each one was different, making you love them or love to hate them. The movie also followed along with the plot of the play well. Some small details were left out, such as the encounter with the clown, but that was because it was not essential to the understanding of the play. As well as skipping over scenes, the movie added scenes as well, such as the consummation of Othello and Desdemona?s marriage that was just briefly mentioned in the play. However, I felt that it was pretty graphic in the movie, which was not necessary.
Some people feel that shakespearean movies lose the underlying meanings that people would catch if they were reading the play. These include: jabs at the general public, disapproving feelings of the government, and women?s rights. This proved to have some truth to it because I felt that you could not realize the advanced feminist ideas Shakespeare was trying to convey. These are particularly important because the ideas he was voicing were extremely advanced and frowned upon during the time he wrote Othello. But, the movie was successful in keeping some of Shakespeare?s original language. Of course, the whole movie cannot be spoken in the poet?s words, but during the important scenes, some primary lines were spoken, which aided the viewers in understanding how Shakespeare felt in his time.
Even though I did not enjoy the play as well as I did the movie, I would recommend that you read the play before watching the movie to really appreciate all of Shakespeare?s language. In conclusion, I would rate the play a 5 and the movie as an 8.
April 27, 2015
This shows Hollywood is better to stay away from valuable stories and just keep doing all those stupid b movies.
½ April 25, 2015
Not the best produced version but a very well acted one.
March 7, 2015
Belle adaptation d'Othello avec un Kenneth Branagh (acteur seulement) qui excelle dans un rôle de salopard manipulateur et Lawrence Fishburne très bon dans le rôle titre.
Et toujours cette histoire d'intrigues et de trahisons amoureuses très bien racontée.
½ January 20, 2015
Pelicula correcta ,sin muchas pretenciones.
½ June 29, 2014
While Kenneth Branagh is perfect as Iago, Othello lacks the spark prevalent in other, more successful adaptations of Shakespeare.
February 21, 2014
this is still my favorite version of this shakespeare play
December 7, 2013
Mmm... very nicely done movie. Though Laurence Fishburne played Othello (and I kept going "OMG its Morpheus" the entire time) I really enjoyed this film. Branagh as Iago was so perfect and so malicious, it sent chills down my spine a couple of times.
October 6, 2013
Iago is and forever will be one of literature's most sinister, most manipulative, most diabolical, and greatest villains, and Kenneth Branagh more than does him justice.
October 2, 2013
A well done adaptation of a great tragedy. I've come to expect nothing but the best from Kenneth Branagh.
½ September 28, 2013
One of my favorite fictional characters in history is Yago. This version of Yago was cool. I like Yago more evil.
September 4, 2013
Lawrence superb performance is outstanding. Award winning by far. Exceptional.
May 22, 2013
A good rendition of the Shakespeare play. The movie is easy enough to follow along, but doesn't go very deep in exploring the characters. Fishburne looked more badass as Othello than he did as Morpheus. Branagh nails Iago as he comes off as oily, manipulative and two-faced.
½ April 18, 2013
This is Kenneth Branagh's film. Even if it was directed by Oliver Parker, Sir Branagh's style is all over it. In addition to this, his performance as Iago is brilliant, serving as the driving force to Othello (both the film and the character).
December 12, 2012
Truth be told, I'm not crazy about the works of Shakespeare, but this version of Othello is very enjoyable, mostly due to the wonderful performances of the cast, especially Laurence Fishburne. While some elements of the plot and dialogue have not aged well, and thus become cheesy, the film holds its ground and manages to be a very well-made tragedy.
November 13, 2012
Kenneth Branagh is incredible as Iago, the breaking of the fourth wall works well, even if it does not seem at first. Laurence Fishburne is very good as Othello and the whole Shakespearean atmosphere is kept!
½ August 19, 2012
Branagh's peformance saves the film.
August 15, 2012
Kenneth Branagh gives a powerful performance which makes this slightly too abridged Othello worth watching.