The Substitute Reviews

• Dec 04, 2019

great movie good plot

great movie good plot

• Aug 11, 2019

I give it 4.5 because 3/5 of the good guys died.

I give it 4.5 because 3/5 of the good guys died.

• Apr 23, 2017

The Substitute is a pretty standard action film, but an enjoyable one. Tom Berenger turns in a fine performance, and so does most of the supporting cast. The action sequences aren't anything special, but still fun to watch. The film felt a little too long, and could've been shortened by probably twenty minutes. Some scenes and lines are a little too corny, and the plot does get too ridiculous for its own good. Its a good action film to see if you don't have anything to do and wanna kill some time. I'd recommend it, I don't see how this started a four part film series though.

• Feb 15, 2017

This movie is so boring and annoying and even though the idea of it couldv'e been interesting the things that are happening throughout the movie don't make any sense and the actors didn't do well at all. For me it's one of the worst movies ever and I don't know why I tried it, maybe I was too bored.

• Oct 12, 2016

Sweet movie! Tom Berenger did a terrific job! The ones after this with Treat Williams sadly weren't so appealing.

• Jul 11, 2016

Campy genre mash-up is ridiculous, but manages to be quite entertaining. The film takes your standard Dangerous Minds/Blackboard Jungle type of heroic (white) educator saving students of color and then mixes it with urban vigilante films like "The Exterminator" or "Death Wish" where a (white) victim of some sort of violence decides to clean up the street. In this film Tom Berenger plays a mercenary group leader who comes back to Miami to visit his high school teacher girlfriend. When she's attacked by gang members, Berenger poses as her substitute teacher at the tough high school to root out the evildoers. SPOILER ALERT! Berenger discovers the school security, the principal and the drug dealing gang members all all in cahoots, so he calls in his special forces team for a high tech climactic shoot out in the high school. Just as with both genres this film is mashing up, there is an unfortunately racist undercurrent to the story of a white night fighting back the savages. This is where the camp entertainment value of this film comes in. Just as with many John Milieus films ("Red Dawn" particularly comes to mind), although the politics of the film are repugnant, they are so over-the-top that the ridiculousness becomes high camp and hard to resist enjoying. Also similar to Milieus, this film has a solid director with Robert Mandel ("F/X") and a strong cast that includes Raymond Cruz, William Forsythe, Luis Guzmán, Diane Venora, Glenn Plummer (who seemed to be in every film of the early 90s, from "Strange Days" to "Showgirls"), Marc Anthony, Ernie Hudson, and Cliff De Young. Overall, if you can get past the ugly politics of the film, it's a campy good time.

• Jun 02, 2016

The Substitute is definitely in the upper echelon of trashy action movies. "Don't cry, Jane, sit down and eat a shrimp roll."

• May 09, 2016

Like many before it, this film gives us the "tough teacher goes into a failing class filled with underprivileged youths" story mixed with the plot of Steven Segal movie. A confusing and forgettable mess.

• Aug 26, 2015

It's just like the TV show A-Team except people actually get killed. Kinda lame kinda cool. Better than a kick in the head.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Aug 24, 2015

"You know what those damned kids in high school need nowadays, doncha? They need to be brought in line by mercenaries hired to be teachers! Tough measures for tough times! " If this thought seems rational to your way of thinking then here is the movie for you. Otherwise its ridiculous, but you haven't really lived until you've seen a bazooka used in a school corridor.