The Old Man and the Sea Reviews

• Dec 02, 2018

Horrible webpage, I can't see any movies, but book is 2 1/2 stars /5

Horrible webpage, I can't see any movies, but book is 2 1/2 stars /5

• Jun 19, 2016

Another lost rating. Not a bad film, just a slow drama.

Another lost rating. Not a bad film, just a slow drama.

• Feb 07, 2016

Great adaptation of the Hemingway novel. Set in Cuba, an old fisherman (played by Spencer Tracy) is down on his luck. He hasn't caught a fish in 85 days. Refusing to give up or curse his luck he sets out to sea, as usual. He hooks something big, but it is not giving up without a fight or use of all its cunning... A wonderful story, well told. You would expect that, too: directed by John Sturges, based on a classic Ernest Hemingway novel and starring Spencer Tracy. The narration (by Tracy) captures Hemingway's eloquent, sensitive-yet-gritty writing well, and the movie has a poetic feel to it. Good special effects, especially for the time, and great cinematography. Good work by Spencer Tracy in the lead role, for which he got a Best Actor Oscar nomination. Solid support from Felipe Pazos as the boy.

• Jan 08, 2016

Excellent movie great book. Gotta love Earnest Hemingway. His bio is amazing. This movie is just good decent entertainment nothing exceptionally mind provoking.

• Sep 12, 2015

Hemingway's book was inspirational, filled with astute observations on the nature of masculinity and its emphasis of personal achievement. The relationship between the Old Man and the boy captures remarkable truths oft forsaken in our postmodern culture: masculinity is bestowed, not inherited, and the father/son relationship is the consequence of the bestowal of masculinity. The Old Man endures what all men endure: the search for significance, meaning, achievement, and legacy. Yet in the process, he unknowingly finds what he is searching for in his surrogate fatherhood of a young boy whose relationship with his own father seems somewhat strained and distant. The Old Man eventually captures the big fish for which he has so doggedly searched and courageously fought, but the destruction of the fish by sharks reminds us that it is man's personal sense of accomplishment that is more significant than the actual achievement itself. Perhaps we are all just like the Old Man, searching futilely for external validation when what we really need is internal solace. The novella communicates these themes much more clearly than the film, which at times is quite laborious to watch. However, it remains faithful to the source material, which is an art that has been lost in the postmodern era. I think if I had not read the book, the movie would not have been enjoyable.

• Jun 20, 2015

Boring as shit but a nice story

Boring as shit but a nice story

• Oct 18, 2014

One of the greatest actors portrays one of the greatest characters from one of the greatest books. Brilliant.

• Jul 10, 2014

Tracy looks much like Hemingway himself said, more like an old rich actor than a peasant cuban fisherman. He didn't attempt an accent and the narration is used far to much. A less literal version would've been favorable, instead we get a word-for-word artless depiction. It is better to just read the very brief novel.

• Jun 08, 2014

Hemingway is a genius. A very boring genius. But check it out if you are looking to get depressed about the futility of life.

John B Super Reviewer
    Jan 27, 2014

Unfortunately one of Spencer Tracy's worst. I no longer believe in unfilmable books but this one is a tough one to adapt and Sturges and Tracy can't pull it off.