Stand (MINI-SERIES) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stand (MINI-SERIES) Reviews

January 10, 2013
While it peaked during the first episode, this one is worth watching if you get the chance.
October 6, 2011
Very compelling for a horror film that is rare these days.
June 4, 2011
A strong Stephen King adaptation - a gem among the others. Solid performances and an overall interesting atmosphere that it creates makes it very worthy of being watched, especially for the fans of the novel.
April 5, 2011
I just spent more than six hours watching what my stupid friends have been trying to get me to watch for years. Well, they can't be wrong all the time.
½ September 12, 2010
Det här lär jag väl få skit för men....vore det inte på tiden för en re-make av den här? Nya fräscha effekter, korta ner den lite grann.
Den här mini-serien är ju jävligt bra men dom kunde kortat den tvår timmar eller nått.Kul att Parker Lewis är med.
August 24, 2010
I own it on DVD and have seen it many times but I love it every single time!
August 19, 2010
Probably one of the greatest horror series of all time turned into my favourite King adaptation for the screen - everythng is perfect
August 14, 2010
Even though it was a 4 part tv series it still works as a movie... although at 6 hours long it's hard to get through it in one sitting. It still is one of the better adaptations of Kings work and also has Molly Ringwald in. WIN! 8/10
July 11, 2010
Stephen King's masterpiece brought to the small screen.

Too short by far to do the novel justice...and a bit awkward in places but such a fun (if disturbing) ride despite these faults.
½ May 17, 2010
I haven't read the book, but this mini-series is quite good as I recall.
May 14, 2010
Stays true to the book as best as it can.
½ May 7, 2010
Even though I hate positive goals in movies, The Stand was amazing and Randal Flagg is the best devil I've seen in a long time.
½ April 18, 2010
80%?? More like 8% if you ask me.
Proof that King's imagination cannot be captured on film.

RT really needs to review its critics list. I mean ... only a social neglect could rate this movie as 80%.
April 16, 2010
Too damn long. I could not sit through it all.
½ March 13, 2010
I realise that the effects are from 20 years ago, and I realise that a movie (or miniseries in this case) is never as good as the novel it's based on - but it was the acting and the casting that I couldn't get past. Like anyone who reads a book with a lot of characters I create them in my head. Some of the movie characters were compelling and full of life and reacted accordingly and some really did not. I felt that the character of Nadine was supposed to be a tall and beautiful and mysterious woman - the casting choice on this was horrible. She was short, and not attractive with the overdone makeup and the frizzy hair.
The antagonist Randall Flagg had no air of intimidation about him at all. Setting aside the horrible special effects, and the denim fetish (taken directly from the novel) the actor's face was just too innocent to play a character that is supposed to represent evil incarnate.
March 2, 2010
Stephen King's movie, "The Stand" written in 1994 is one of best movies I have ever seen and still enjoy seeing today. Although the movie is six-hours long, Stephen King's unbelievable story line is able to keep you squirming in your seat the whole time. Three things that make this movie truly one of a kind are the story line, casting, and music. All three of these things set the mood for which you will understand after watching.
The story line basically starts out with a government lab facility fenced off to the rest of the world holding the world's most dangerous viruses. Obviously one of these deadly virus accidently lets gets loose and a guard and his wife and child escape across the country before crashing into a Texas gas station. This is where it all begins and all hell breaks out from beginning. The small town in isolated, including the Stu Redman, main character in the movie who witnessed the crash at the gas station. As the military tries to cover up the accident the virus spreads and kills nearly the whole world in a matter of days. Soon 95% of the world population dies and only a select few people are immune to the disease. These individuals soon travel the world looking for other survivors and realize that they are the chosen ones. Two groups are created and you soon begin to realize that the movie is about good and evil. The good being a Christian group who is led by Mother Abigail Freemantle, who is 106 years old in the movie. The bad being led by a weird "Satan" like figure named Randall Flagg. As the movie comes closer to the end you begin to realize that these two groups are going to confront one another.
The casting contained great actors that seemed born to play the roles in this movie. A good group portrayed in the film was a rock star, a mute, a professor, a farmer, a socialite, a mildly retarded man, a teenager, a mother, and a judge. The bad group portrayed in the film was a Satan, criminals, outlaws, and crazy people. Gary Sininse, was one of these main characters who delivered one of his best performances of all time. In fact he was nominated for, "Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor" in 1995. Other actors like academy award winning actor, Ed Harris and 1988 best actress, Molly Ringwald, and 4 golden globes winner, Rob Lowe. All of these actors did an unbelievable job when it came to making the viewer intense, sad, happy, creepy, and scary while watching the movie.
The last thing that made this movie truly great was the music. At the beginning a crow is sitting on a fence looking toward the government lab facility and playing in the back ground is Blue Oysters Cults, "Don't Fear the Reaper," is probably one of the most chilling events every recorded on tape. This truly makes you nervous as you watch the scene unfold into total ciaos.
"The Stand", is truly one of the greatest movies ever written. Stephen King's movie allows viewers alike to grow with the movie and begin to love and hate the people in the movie. Every major scene is there and touched on to give the viewer a sense of realness and pleasure. If you have not seen it, I suggest that you take a day the off, go rent or buy the movie, and watch all six hours of it.
December 31, 2009
beginning is great. then it gets ruined. Read the book.
August 16, 2009
Just re-read it this weekend. The beginning is still frightening.
½ April 1, 2009
A great film/ mini series. All the actors fit into theyre roles extremely well. Flagg was one of the best adaptations of A Stephen King villain I have ever seen. Manages to easily keep up with the long and twisting narrative of the novel.