August - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

August Reviews

February 23, 2016
An interesting and well directed debut for Sir Anthony..
September 7, 2012
As another Chekhov retelling, "August" is short of that one flash of novel inspiration it desperately needs to stand apart from the crowd.
April 19, 2012
A ponderous, occassionaly dull bio-pic rescued somewhat by an engaging performance from Anthony Hopkins.
½ May 4, 2009
Chekov with out the bore of Russian references...Amazingly casted and filled with some classic actoral teachings from British stage actors. A rare directorial debut from my very admired Sir Hopkins*
March 28, 2009
Very well done as you would expect with an Anthony Hopkins project. Not much action. The acting is excellent, but the plot only lets them go so far. Ambitious project for the Masterpiece Theatre crowd.
½ February 10, 2009
[font=Verdana]August was an incredibly dry humored romance film that seemed as if it would never end. The main plot consisted of everyone being in love with some one they couldn?t be with and being bored with life. The storyline was very thin and the bulk of the film was very repetitive to the point that it was no longer entertaining after about twenty minutes. The main highlight of this film was a drunken Anthony Hopkins (Silence of the Lambs) who paraded around as a bored rich Englishman, chasing a woman he couldn?t have. The direction, also Hopkins, was borderline questionable as was the acting by an ensemble cast that pushed its chemistry. There were some rather humorous parts but they were so few and far between that it doesn?t make up for the other faults of the film. Bottom line is if you are a romance fan, rent something else. [/font]
January 24, 2009
Lush landscapes and cinematography in spots. It does give one food for thought on their own life story. One can only orchestrate their life just so far. So enjoy the one you've been given. Tone is a bit melancholic, but likeable all the same. Hopkins a pleasure as ever.
January 1, 2009
A difficult movie to rate. The acting is good but the story is too intelectual so I found it a bit borring.
½ August 5, 2008
August was an incredibly dry humored romance film that seemed as if it would never end. The main plot consisted of everyone being in love with some one they couldn?t be with and being bored with life. The storyline was very thin and the bulk of the film was very repetitive to the point that it was no longer entertaining after about forty minutes. The main highlight of this film was a drunken Anthony Hopkins (Silence of the Lambs) who paraded around as a bored rich Englishman, chasing a woman he couldn?t have. The direction, also Hopkins, was borderline questionable as was the acting by an ensemble cast. There were some rather humorous parts but they were so few and far between that it doesn?t make up for the other faults of the film. Bottom line is if you are a romance fan, rent something else.
March 21, 2008
I did not really like this movie.
½ January 3, 2008
A lot of family drama, yet there seems to be no plot. I thought it was beautiful though. I would love to live in Wales and have the home featured in this film; it's GORGEOUS.
December 10, 2007
I just watched this for the first time and I really liked it. As I get older I identify more with older works and remakes.
November 27, 2007
La opera prima de Sir. Anthony Hopkins... Hay que verla...
September 8, 2007
I love Anthony Hopkins, but I felt that the film was a little slow. I was kind of bored.
August 15, 2007
anything Anthony Hopkins is in is worth seeing !!
July 3, 2007
HE is very funny and cookey in the movie. He also composed his own music in this movie
½ June 18, 2007
it is a great movie thats all i can say
April 16, 2007
I haven't seen the previous 7 months so I don't think I'll bother.
½ January 17, 2007
Anthony Hopkins directs and stars in this film version of 'Uncle Vanya.' The cast looks like they are having fun for the most part although Hopkins has a tendency to over act every second scene he's in.