Sugar Hill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sugar Hill Reviews

August 29, 2015
Good classic black zombie movie Voodoo Voodoo
July 26, 2015
Pretty sure I've seen this, but not 100% sure.
July 8, 2015
Neat looking zombies and probably the best gangster voodoo zombie blaxploitation movie I've ever seen, but it gets repetitive after the first half hour.
½ June 5, 2015
A zombie themed blaxploitation flick. Sugar Hill brings back the dead (via voodoo) to get revenge on the mafia gang that did her wrong.
The zombies look interesting and remind me of the tall zombie with the bulging eyes in "I Walked with a Zombie", which was also a voodoo themed zombie film. Perhaps that's where they got the idea for the look
½ May 8, 2013
When bad guys kill her man and try to scare her into submission, Sugar Hill doesn't waste any time in summoning Baron Samedi, the Voodoo Lord of the Dead, to aid her in her quest for revenge. He agrees - for a price - and allows her to make use of his zombie army.

There's a lot to love here. The zombies are of the classic Haitian tradition rather than the modern type, and unlike most older zombie movies they still look fantastic with their dusty and strikingly bug-eyed appearance. Samedi is gleefully played by Don Pedro Colley in an award-worthy performance, truly a highlight of the film.

From a story standpoint, SUGAR HILL has one fundamental flaw. Once Sugar takes control of the undead horde, she basically goes unchallenged as she exacts her revenge. But with a movie as unpretentiously fun as this, you may not mind.
½ February 14, 2013
The PG rating holds this one back just a bit in the 'pulls-out-all-the-stops' department, which is something I think a faithful, campy remake of this film could easily correct (and wouldn't this be the perfect time to do so?). But to complain about this movie is to be scoffing at an embarrasment of riches. Not only does this movie deliver another blaxploitation heroine whose bent on revenge done dirty, she is also a fashion photographer.
½ December 19, 2012
Great combination of blaxploitation and zombie movie. Markie Bey is lovely and effective as the lead character. I don't think I've ever seen zombies used for the purpose of revenge in any other movie.
½ October 31, 2012
. Before they were borged, zombies were an African diasporic storyline. Most of the time they featured a voodoo priest or in this case priestess that controlled them for a purpose that could be good or bad. In this case it was a priestess to strike back at the criminals that killed her man.
August 5, 2012
[After feeding a villain to a pen of starving pigs] "I hope they're into white trash."

I saw this once as a kid & just watched it again. What a hoot... its got to be one of my most fave Grindhouse/Blaxploitation flicks ever (Blacula is my #1 fave.) Don Pedro as Baron will forever freak me out lol. It reminds me of that Tales from the Crypt zombie episode & Kolchak's zombie episode.
March 6, 2012
I accidentally clicked on this on Netflix, and Eric and I watched the whole thing. You gotta see it. 1974 was a good year for Zombies.
½ February 25, 2012
Fun blaxploitation horror with creepy looking voodoo zombies and a very attractive lead played by Marki Rey. Also a really funky title song called Supernatural Voodoo Woman.
February 10, 2012
Fun, dark blaxplotation horror flick which has a great deal of atmosphere and a great deal of contempt for the idea that the villain must get her comeuppance. Great zombie look too, with cobwebs and silver-painted ping-pong balls for eyes. Directed by the guy who produced the Police Academy movies.
January 2, 2012
Perhaps a drink on the house, sir. My particular special, a drink that I'm famous for... the Zombie!
December 31, 2011
1970s era blaxploitation horror film sees the protaganist (Diana "Sugar" Hill played by Marki Bay) seeking revenge on the mobsters who killed her New Orleans nightclub owner fiance. This is a typical blaksploitation ploy, used in many Pam Grier movies. But our heroine asks Zara Cully's vodoo priestess, Mama Maitresse, to put her in touch with Baron Samedi (Don Pedro Colley, in the films best performance) who puts his zombies at Sugar Hill's disposal. And she uses them to dispose of all of southern gangster Mr. Morgan's (AIP horror stalwart, Robert Quarry) crew of sociopathic thugs. The cob-webbed, blank-eyed zombies are unlikely to scare anyone [compare the low-budget zombie FX here to Tom Savini's zombies in Dawn of the Dead (1978) or Hammer's Plague of Zombies (1968)] but the film is an enjoyable romp and the cast (Bey, Cully, Colley, and Quarry et-al) do their best with what is a pretty basic script.
October 22, 2011
Blaxploitation effort from the 70s which has its usuall blend of things going on. strong female lead taking revenge/ taking on corrupt gang and so on, but added voodoo and zombies, and there was the problem to a degree for me, it wasnt needed or wdid not work. the lead played by Marki bey was a good choice and had something, but overall a bit of a misfire. but im sure Tarantino loved, but thats not good enough
October 10, 2011
I though this one should be much cooler. But naah, pretty mediocre. Some cool scenes, A okey blaxploitation. Cool with the mix with genres.
½ September 3, 2011
The premise is great, and the film certainly has plenty of sociological value, but it's also fairly dull and badly acted.
August 14, 2011
Although not one of the best of the genre it still amuses in parts and the idea of using Zombies to help track down a gang of murderers is inspired!
July 12, 2011
Odd twist for a Black Cinema movie. Slaves from the dead attack ppl due to revenge. Pretty dope! Grade:B-