The Nutty Professor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Nutty Professor Reviews

September 16, 2016
This film could have been an offensive insult if not done properly (as Norbit proved in 2007). However, it managed to be both a frequently humorous comedy and a touching love story. Murphy gives a fabulous performance in 7 different roles. His career really has been a case of highs and lows, and in my opinion this is one of the highs.
August 28, 2016
It has been 20 years since its first release. I must say the first one was quite a sensation and it was creative in its own way. It is funny.
July 30, 2016
Loved it very funny, Eddie does a brilliant job at multiple roles.
July 26, 2016
I mostly only remembered the dinner scene where Eddie plays just about everybody and it's good and all but this movie was never my favorite. It's kind of like Eddie's saturation point for me where it all started going downhill. Also featuring a less outspoken Jada Pinkman Smith.
½ July 14, 2016
One of Murphy's finest. So quotable and possibly his most memorable character.
July 12, 2016
For my money Eddie Murphy deserved an Academy Award nomination. Once again, comedy and great comedic acting is overlooked. Murphy funny, sad, touching, and dimensional as Klump and a tour de force playing the other roles. Larry Miller excellent in his smug portrayal of the school dean. Good stuff.
½ July 5, 2016
really bad, but still pretty funny, it's a mixed bag
½ May 18, 2016
Not a bad movie; it's just not the original. If you wanna watch the nutty professor, go old school. Don't waste your time on this knockoff.
May 11, 2016
The Nutty Professor is a remake of Jerry Lewis's version, it's directed by Tom Shadyac who brought films like Liar Liar and Bruce Almighty, and it stars Eddie Murphy in a comedy about a professor who's a gentle and likable person who is also really big, and he starts drinking a potion to make him lose weight for a grad student, which works, but also turn him into a completely different person. This is one of those comedies that I've seen so much of and still enjoy to this day. When Eddie Murphy plays Sherman Klump, he acts very charming and knows about the morality of his situation which he definitely want to lose weight. As Buddy Love, he's a complete riot and is having a lot of fun being over the top, which makes it hilarious for me. Most of the jokes work out like a charm, but then there are some jokes that really die down which can be a bit of a groaner. The chemistry between Eddie Murphy and Jada Pinkett Smith is really good too as I can see why this can work. The make-up is very impressive to look at, and the characters are really good. The plot is one of those been there and done that, but it's not that bad, and I still have an enjoyable time with the film.
February 9, 2016
One of Eddie Murphy's last funny movies.
½ December 10, 2015
Gut-busting hilarious and heartfelt, The Nutty Professor is a fresh update of the 1963 Jerry Lewis classic that remains to be one of Eddie Murphy's best performances of his career.
November 30, 2015
This was a very funny movie
October 30, 2015
I actually really like this movie. I'd say it's as good as the Jerry Lewis version, heck this one might even seem a little more complete, because it has a more focused story. The one problem I have, and it is major, is that the story is a little too traditional, a little too by the numbers. Other than that, I still really like this film, Eddie Murphy does a great job, it's very very funny, and this movie was just a lot of fun.
September 14, 2015
Funny Eddie Murphy comedy about loving people for who they truly are with a good message that beauty is only skin deep.
August 1, 2015
Like several comedy films from the 1990's, this film is most likely only funny if you're very young. In fact, this is a prime example of a film made by producers who assume that the viewers must be idiots. In this regard, the main problem is that the jokes always feel like the actors are trying to force them, and the jokes that are even remotely funny are funny for the wrong reasons. The story is very thin and clichéd, much like all comedies. I know that this is based loosely on The Nutty Professor from the 1960's, but this film takes the central premise through a filter of fart jokes and embarrassingly dated black stereotypes. On the whole, the story is essentially another tired romance plot, complete with almost the same exact set-up. To be fair, Eddie Murphy still manages to give a few strong performances in this film, and I should commend his ability to juggle a total of seven roles. However, this is not one of his finest moments, and it gets worse from there. Crass, visually dull, and devoid of any intelligent humour, this is a film that was either bad when it was new, or has simply aged badly.
July 23, 2015
Nada comparado al original, pero sigue siendo entretenida para verla por un rato
July 22, 2015
Pleasurably funny in a guilty sort of way. One of Eddie Murphy's best movies. Really underrated. This is one of the types of movies where after you watch it your like meh and off. Pretty forgettable. I enjoyed it
½ June 5, 2015
Not as classic as the original Jerry Lewis film, but Eddie Murphy is on top of his game.
½ June 4, 2015
It pivots on what you think of Eddie Murphy's characters. Could be funny or grating. I personally still enjoy it and think this movie is better than most remember it.
½ April 30, 2015
Silly but charming, stereotyped but funny - The Nutty Professor might not be for everyone but I really enjoyed this excessive romantic comedy with Eddie Murphy playing multiple roles.