The Nutty Professor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Nutty Professor Reviews

November 30, 2015
This was a very funny movie
October 30, 2015
I actually really like this movie. I'd say it's as good as the Jerry Lewis version, heck this one might even seem a little more complete, because it has a more focused story. The one problem I have, and it is major, is that the story is a little too traditional, a little too by the numbers. Other than that, I still really like this film, Eddie Murphy does a great job, it's very very funny, and this movie was just a lot of fun.
September 14, 2015
Funny Eddie Murphy comedy about loving people for who they truly are with a good message that beauty is only skin deep.
August 1, 2015
Like several comedy films from the 1990's, this film is most likely only funny if you're very young. In fact, this is a prime example of a film made by producers who assume that the viewers must be idiots. In this regard, the main problem is that the jokes always feel like the actors are trying to force them, and the jokes that are even remotely funny are funny for the wrong reasons. The story is very thin and clichéd, much like all comedies. I know that this is based loosely on The Nutty Professor from the 1960's, but this film takes the central premise through a filter of fart jokes and embarrassingly dated black stereotypes. On the whole, the story is essentially another tired romance plot, complete with almost the same exact set-up. To be fair, Eddie Murphy still manages to give a few strong performances in this film, and I should commend his ability to juggle a total of seven roles. However, this is not one of his finest moments, and it gets worse from there. Crass, visually dull, and devoid of any intelligent humour, this is a film that was either bad when it was new, or has simply aged badly.
July 23, 2015
Nada comparado al original, pero sigue siendo entretenida para verla por un rato
July 22, 2015
Pleasurably funny in a guilty sort of way. One of Eddie Murphy's best movies. Really underrated. This is one of the types of movies where after you watch it your like meh and off. Pretty forgettable. I enjoyed it
½ June 5, 2015
Not as classic as the original Jerry Lewis film, but Eddie Murphy is on top of his game.
½ April 30, 2015
Silly but charming, stereotyped but funny - The Nutty Professor might not be for everyone but I really enjoyed this excessive romantic comedy with Eddie Murphy playing multiple roles.
April 27, 2015
Give Eddie credit for reshaping this into something fresh and special.The Klumps are just side splittingly howling.
March 16, 2015
Funny, quotable 90's Eddie Murphy. Dave Chappelle makes a great cameo, too.
½ January 11, 2015
Some parts are absolutely hilarious (dinner table fart scene) but there are too many lulls in the film with no laughs. The makeup and costumes still hold up today, which is impressive. Eddie Murphy also deserves credit for his diverse roles.
December 16, 2014
It's both depressing and unhealthy to look at with unpleasantness despite having occasional chuckles and Murphy delivering a "Be Yourself"-type of message while wearing complex body suits and trying hard to be funny energetically to the point of failing to stir up the laughing box. (C+)

(Full review coming soon)
November 29, 2014
I really didn't expect to like this, I never saw any previous versions of this film and I'd gone off Eddy Murphy a long time ago. I was therefore pleasantly surprised. It is quite funny in places, I may even watch the sequel one day.
November 27, 2014
Humour's remake of the 1963 Jerry Lewis film. Murphy finds an immediate solution to his weight problem, but only on a temp basis.
November 24, 2014
Three Words Might-y-Fine
September 11, 2014
One of Eddie Murphy's Best and Funniest movies ever!
and my favorite Eddie Murphy movie of all time.
½ August 29, 2014
Is this a super funny movie?...not quite, but it IS funny and Eddie Murphy does not disappoint! I really enjoyed the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personalities between Professor Klump and Buddy Love...good stuff!
August 26, 2014
Eddie Murphy at his best. Sometimes annoying, but mainly a good job.
August 16, 2014
Fantastically funny and hilarious! Watch this funny movie, you won't regret it! Eddie Murphy plays all these characters and he is so funny!
July 21, 2014