Cold Comfort Farm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cold Comfort Farm Reviews

December 30, 2016
A quirky and very odd British comedy (those Brits, I guess I don't get the humor) with young versions of lots of actors you'll recognize from movies a decade later. Decently acted, flatly told story of a young upwardly mobile woman who lost her fortune when her family passed, moves in to a disheveled cottage in the sticks of England with some distant relatives who have wronged her family in the past and mean to atone for it. I didn't find the humor in it, but it was interesting enough to keep me watching. Beckinsale was delightful in her role.
November 6, 2015
Kate Beckinsale is fabulous as the most lovable heroin, comparable to any across the all the great heroins in classic English literature
December 15, 2013
This is quite a good film that benefits from a talented cast of actors playing wonderfully eccentric characters. But, and perhaps this is just me, it's a movie that would probably be much better if you knew what it's supposed to parody. It parodies the accounts of rural-life portrayed in books by Mary Webb. I've never read a book by Mary Webb so I literally have no idea if this parody is really successful or not. From the reviews here, it seems like the movie doesn't capture the book's feel. I thought the film was a little slow until the last 30 or so minutes, when you finally get to see Flora's influence finally paying off within the family. Not that everything that happens prior to that is bad, it just isn't particularly entertaining, with the exception of Amos' scene at the church and Mybug's constant attempts to declare his love of Flora and his pretentious intellectual personality. Other than that, I found most of the movie to be hit and miss. It's not bad, but it is a little tedious, thankfully the cast keeps things light and interesting. I think the movie really starts to get going once, as mentioned, Flora's influences and her "manipulation", which it isn't as she's just trying to get these people to live their lives and managing to fulfill their potential, and I think the film's last act is really good but, by this point, I don't think it would've been enough. Again, it's not bad but there was potential to do more with this cast of characters and I think the film missed that chance. Still good, but I'd have rather read the book.
½ November 20, 2013
A genuinely fun feel-good movie that embraces the eccentricities of Britain in the 1930s. I have no idea why Joanna Lumley is on the DVD cover when she barely appears in the film. BTW This is also worth watching for Ian McKellen roaring: "There's no butter in hell!" to his terrified congregation.
October 16, 2013
It is perhaps related to Austen's Emma than to Gibbons' novel itself. Witty and funny, dotted with faux horror of rural gothic, it is good comfort for any cold evening's viewing.
September 14, 2013
Totally charming My Dear!
½ August 25, 2013
Enjoyable satire on the culture clash between country and high society in the 1930s with an excellent British cast, includign Kate Beckinsale, Ian McKellan, Rufus Sewell and Freddie Jones.
½ June 1, 2013
What a clever movie! It took me a while to figure where it was going and then after that I had a hard time not smiling.
April 1, 2013
One of the funniest films in existence, filled with witty one-liners and hilarious anecdotes.
An absolute gem!!!
December 8, 2012
There will always be Starkadders on Cold Comfort Farm; unless there's a curse on video store shelving.
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
½ October 27, 2012
I really liked this one!
½ September 21, 2012
Like a burst of sunshine on a rainy day. This movie always makes me smile and seems cheerful & uplifting. Positively charming.
½ August 15, 2012
Great actors and delightful movie!
July 29, 2012
Amusing movie of a city sophisticate fixing lives and matters in a run-down farm. A little pompous but it's harmless fantasy.
July 14, 2012
Delightfully eccentric and great fun.
½ July 5, 2012
If you enjoy British humor and classic British novels, you will LOVE this movie! It is extremely entertaining, although it might take a few minutes to understand what some of the characters are saying! Rent this, you won't regret it!
June 18, 2012
Una de mis pelĂ­culas favoritas
June 16, 2012
love this movie. my favorite movie of all time.