The Phantom Reviews

• Apr 01, 2021

Billy Zane makes a Fine Phantom it's Cheesy, It's 20th Century Superhero Style rather then what we expect now. Its script needs work but it's still alright.

• Jul 07, 2020

Like The Shadow the filmmakers fail to update the material in any meaningful way and just lay on the cheese.

• May 27, 2020

I remember watching this movie a lot back in the 90's. I had no idea who the Phantom was, or who he was passed on, but I really liked it back then. I would say for the most part it's held up, but it's definitely lacking in a few areas. The Phantom is based on the 1936 comic strips. It definitely has the feel of an old timey pulpy kind of comic and I'd say for the most part it hits the mark here. The movie is pretty simple and I actually think it runs a bit too short (20 more minutes would have been the sweet spot). Here we follow The Phantom (Billy Zane) who's real name is Kit Walker. Kit has taken over the mantle of The Phantom when his father dies and they explain a bit about the history of the Phantom (he's basically a hero that fights for the good of the people, etc). They kinda just gloss over this and truthfully this is where I wish they would have gone more into the backstory. An origin story here would have probably benefitted this movie (and maybe if it hadn't tanked the planned two sequels would have come out). Anyways, Kit is on the hunt of a man named Quill (James Remar) who killed Kit's dad and has also collected a rare skull that when paired with two other rare ones can give the user the power of the sun. Quill is working for a man named Xander Drax (Treat Williams) and then of course since this is based on a 1930's comic strip Kit's old girlfriend Diana (Kristy Swanson) is thrown into the plot and there's even another possible love interest here with Xander's cronie Sala (Catherine Zeta-Jones). The action is decent, but doesn't compare to anything modern audiences would say is action super hero type. The film is very light on plot and I think that's were it suffers. Yeah The Phantom looks cool, but I never really cared about him for the most part. Zane does his best here with what they gave him, but ultimately this is a forgettable film that lets face it I wouldn't be shocked they try and rebooting in the near future (I personally think it could work with the right lead and director). If you want to take a trip down memory lane take a look at it on Amazon Prime.

• May 15, 2020

I remember my dad took me to see this as a kid. Even then I knew it was a stinker and still is a stinker.

• May 15, 2020

Has it's moments but ultimately nothing much to say about it by the end (4/10)

Has it's moments but ultimately nothing much to say about it by the end (4/10)

• Mar 29, 2020

Not bad considering its based in the 30's and made in the 90's..I think it's better than Batman and Robin. It's time we rebooted the character and maybe the remainder of the defenders.

• Mar 20, 2020

What kind of idiot wanted to make a movie about The Phantom?

What kind of idiot wanted to make a movie about The Phantom?

• Mar 15, 2020

If you are just searching for a fun pulpy, campy Indiana Jones-esque adventure, The Phantom is entertaining enough for what it is. But for anyone expecting this to be an underrated superhero movie that had the misfortune of being overshadowed by the Batman movies of the time, The Phantom is...not that. It's tolerable enough but the hero is one-dimensional and uninteresting, the fight scenes are fairly standard and run-of-the-mill and there's a prologue that until the end is forgettable and has little effect on the plot. There are far worse movies out there but as far as superhero movies go, The Phantom unfortunately fails to stand out.

• Feb 26, 2020

Today's Viewing: "The Phantom". Based On The American Adventure Comic Strip From The 1930s & '40s By Writer Lee Faulk Of King Features, & From The Film Writer That Wrote The Screenplay For "Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade" In 1989, This Australian-American Superhero Film Has Gotta Be 1 Of The Weirdest, Most Bizarre Kind Of Bad Films I've Witnessed. It's Not The Worst Movie I've Seen, It All Just Seems Ridiculous. Yet To This Film's Credit, There Were Some Enjoyable Moments; Ones That Are Strangely Badly Enjoyable You Can't Help But Find Laughable: The Presence Of Catherine Zeta-Jones *whistle whistle*, The Collection Of Unintentional Moments & You Find Actually Funny, & The Acting From The Wolf & Horse. It's All Stupid, It's Ridiculously Chuckle-Worthy. It's THAT Kind Of Bad. Not The Worst, Like I Said. So, Overall, "The Phantom" Is Weird; It's Poorly-Written, The Characters Are Thinly-Written, It Rips Of Some Of The 1st 3 "Indiana Jones" Movies, I Mean, I Told You Who The Writer Of This Movie Is. 😒 *robot chicken skit; m. night shyamalan's "the twist skit": What A Twist!* It Lacks Any Attention To Its Source Material Given The Time It Was Released, & Nothing About The Phantom's Choice Of The Color Purple Stands Out! Why That Color?! C'mon, Man! 😬 I Give This Movie Credit For Some Actual Funny Moments That Turned Out By Accident, Some Good Acting, & Zeta-Jones Just...Bein'...There. Hehe. But As A Whole, This Movie Is An Odd Little Purple Stink-Pot.

• Nov 05, 2019

Loved it as a kid. Not that great, but my very young kids like it.

Loved it as a kid. Not that great, but my very young kids like it.