The Island of Dr. Moreau - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Island of Dr. Moreau Reviews

March 5, 2014
For the humour factor alone, I give it 4 stars. And the fact that the director was so clueless when someone like Brando is taking the mick, so obviously ... The ice bucket was a heavy clue !;)
February 23, 2014
Edward Douglas (David Thewlis): Most times, I keep the memory far in the back of my mind, a distant cloud. But there are times when the little cloud spreads, until it obscures the sky. And those times I look around at my fellow men and I am reminded of some likeness of the beast-people, and I feel as though the animal is surging up in them. And I know they are neither wholly animal nor wholly man, but an unstable combination of both. As unstable as anything Moreau created. And I go... in fear.

This movie was kind of cheesy but I think I can attribute it mostly to the fact that the technology and CG effects weren't at the stage where this movie needed it to be to be taken seriously. If any film could benefit from a reboot, this would be a good candidate. Don't get me wrong, I mean, the source material is profound but a credible CG department would have made this film vastly different. Granted, the talented cast were a bit disappointing too. I mean you've Brandon who the Godfather of acting (pun intended). David Thewlis who is one of the most brilliant and underrated British actors (IMHO). Kilmer (who did a wickedly dead-on Brando was super creepy), Balk and Pearlman who are very capable actors in their own right, it's just seemed like they were purposely directed to "ham it up" or just act uncharacteristically strange. The more eccentric the better it seems and c'mon no one can out eccentric Brando, let's face it. Other than that, the film lack fluidity, which was strange for a movie whose locale barely changed, every scene looked so choppy and slapped together. Once again, poor direction, poor editing. All I can say, this film could have been done so much better and it's such a shame to see so many talented actor's potentials wasted on a promising project.
January 16, 2014
This film could have been much better but as it is it's just a massive mix of mess & awesome special effects, grotesque make up & interesting concept & reflection upon man trying to create other creature through genetic alterations. The cast is pretty awesome. Brando is perfect as the mad doctor, sort of high king ruling his creatures, Val Kilmer seems completely lost & Thewlis does the job as the unexpected visitor to this remote & isolated island.
December 8, 2013
Bad movie - should've been much better with these actors plus horrible story of genetic manipulation going badly wrong.
November 27, 2013
Inspelningen lär ha varit ett helvete, främst på grund av Brando och Kilmer, men filmen är snygg och lagom bisarr. En del likheter har den faktiskt med en annan Brando-film, Apocalypse Now. Den största behållningen är dock Stan Winstons effekter, och att få bevittna Mini-Me innan han dök upp i Austin Powers.
November 20, 2013
If you want a better version, watch the 1932 movie.
October 26, 2013
Bullshit!!! absolute bullshit!!!! i'll give Ron Perlman and David Thewlis some credit, at least they actually give good performances in this snorefest. also some of the makeup is kind of cool. Marlon Brando really let himself go. come on man, you were in Godfather!!!
October 18, 2013
I loved the book, and I didn't know there was a movie! I will have to see this
July 4, 2013
Great movie ahead of its time
June 9, 2013
I've always liked this movie... I know it could have been written better, but I like it anyways. The make-up effects are kind of amazing.
½ June 5, 2013
One of the worst films I've ever seen!
½ June 4, 2013
Could have been cool. Even the animal people effects wound up looking goofy. I wish I was having whatever Val Kilmer was having.
June 3, 2013
The constant shifts in direction and the early departure of the most interesting character thrusts the film into chaos for the hellish, muddled final act.
May 30, 2013
I dont think this movie gets as much credit as it deserves.
½ May 28, 2013
A classic story but overall failure of a movie. It is interesting however the costumes and acting are extremly campy.
½ May 25, 2013
love this movie remake ..
cigaretteburns
May 5, 2013
YUSSSSSS!! I was all over this shit as a kid. probably how my fondness for cheesy cinema originated. so alls I got is mad love for everyone involved in the making of this crapfest. I appreciate you guys. and by the looks of it, I'm the only one here that does. keep on keepin' on Val. I watch all your shitty b movies. :}
½ April 20, 2013
United Nations castaway is rescued to Island where mad scientist experiments with animals fused with human genes, creating a mutant subrace on the island. Another lesson not to disturb the balance of nature. Some top cast and crew prove their best work is well behind them.
½ April 4, 2013
I watched this movie when I was a child and I liked it :)
March 31, 2013