Kingpin Reviews

• Aug 05, 2019

Kingpin is a well casted comedy, not a hilarious comedy, but funny enough to make you laugh.

• Jun 26, 2019

Funny as hell...I laugh every time I think of Bill Murray's Hair

Funny as hell...I laugh every time I think of Bill Murray's Hair

• Jun 14, 2019

This is a funny movie. One of my all time funny comedies. Have to see it multiple times to get all the jokes. "Now that's hot coffee."

• Feb 23, 2019

Movie target young psychopaths. Not for Blobbo.

Movie target young psychopaths. Not for Blobbo.

• Nov 23, 2018

Pretty dumb movie. But it had its funny parts. And some decent music

Pretty dumb movie. But it had its funny parts. And some decent music

• Jul 12, 2018

I saw this back in the day in the theater at a midnight showing and loved it. "Kingpin" was a box office disappointment upon it's original release, but it found it's audience on home video and became something of a cult classic. The set-up is basically "The Natural" except instead of a 1920s Robert Redford having his baseball career cut short, we have a 1970s Woody Harrelson's promising professional bowling career cut short. Harrelson resurfaces 20 something years later to mentor an Amish bowling prospect, Randy Quaid, in order to get payback against bowling star Bill Murray, who was responsible for Harrelson's career ending bowling injury. Suffice to say, it's not the story that made this film memorable. It's the many over-the-top hilarious gags and some surprisingly earnest characters that make this film still hold up today. Some of he best gags involve Harrelson's rubber hand, the foul mouthed Lin Shaye, Harrelson trying to pass as Amish, Quade getting some cold drinks, and an odd Indecent Proposal sequence involving a cameo by Chris Elliott, but it's really Bill Murray who steal every scene that he's in, whether he's mugging after losing a bowling match, doing a self serving infomercial, or something as small as his bad hair combover, he is absolutely hilarious in what might arguable be his best comedic performance (and that's saying something). It's really too bad Murray's part is a supporting role, but it may be his limited screen time that makes his performance so special. Writer/directors Bobby and Peter Farrelly had previously made the popular (and I believe critically underrated) "Dumb and Dumber," but it was this film that helped pave the way for the slew of raunchy 90s comedies that followed, such as "American Pie," the Farrellys own "There's Something About Mary," all the way up to "Superbad." The 80s certainly had it's fair share of Porky's inspired raunch, but this new generation is a bit more story and character driven than their sleazier 80s counterparts. The main weakness of "Kingpin" is that the sappy maudlin elements of the story, which do certainly make the characters more empathetic, are often incongruous with the raunchy and absurd comedic elements. It's hard to go from Harrelson "milking" a bull or "paying" his rent to his hideous landlady to caring whether he finds redemption and self respect. However, "Kingpin" remains an enjoyably crass and rude comedy that although not be for all tastes is a hilarious treat if you can get into the spirit of the film. Vanessa Angel, Richard Tyson, Rob Moran, and Daniel Greene also appear in the film.

• Jun 09, 2018

good for a bunch of laughs including some really funny parts, but also pretty long with extensive amounts of unfunny time. i didn't like it overall, but i had a decent time with it. wouldn't watch it again (about 2 viewings)

• May 23, 2018

If not for Bill Murrey's electrifying supporting roll, Kingpin would be regarded as one of the worst things to be seen by humans Since our homosapian ancestors gained visual sensory.

• Apr 29, 2018

this movie is dumb but i liked it a lot when i was a kid

this movie is dumb but i liked it a lot when i was a kid

• Apr 29, 2018

The rating of 50% by Rotten Tomatoes critics is yet another reason I completely ignore ratings from Rotten Tomatoes. If you can't laugh and enjoy this movie, you shouldn't be in a position to grade films. Bill Murray is brilliantly hilarious in this movie. How can that even be debated?