The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunchback of Notre Dame Reviews

February 23, 2017
Dark, but incredibly animated.
February 21, 2017
This Disney movie, is the MOST underrated of the 90's Disney films. It had AMAZING characters, STUNNING hand-drawn animation, one of the most infamous Disney Villains, and some of the best songs in Disney.Heck, I get chills every time I hear the opening vocals in the beginning. Definitely a Disney classic.
December 31, 2016
A great Disney classic movie for family to enjoy! Great singing and I like the music a lot in this movie hay I could watch this movie a lot because it's my favorite movie!!
½ December 27, 2016
Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a thrilling and beautifully-animated take on Victor Hugo's classic novel. The film is more darker and more mature than most Disney animated features, though the inclusion of the three gargoyles results in the story becoming slow and uneven. However, the film more than makes up for it with Tony Jay's performance as the cold-hearted Frollo, who is easily one of Disney's most memorable villains.
December 21, 2016
The story is extremely dark and risqué, the characters are beautifully complex, the animation is breathtaking and practically flawless, and the songs are the most epic that Disney has ever produced. Best Disney movie ever!
November 18, 2016
Now this is the film that Sam Hudson and me really love because this disney classic is one of the darkest films of all time. I love the songs, I love the characters, I love the animation, I love the visuals, I love the music and I also love the story. Now do bare that in mind, I haven't read the novel by Victor Hugo but it's not by the original book which is rather strange because in the novel it mixes up the characters but still Frollo is the bad guy and he'll always will be. I won't go to any spoilers cause I don't even know where to start. OK, maybe I'm overexactrating a little but I have not read the original novel by Victor Hugo because what's really confusing me is the characters are dead or the story is absolutely different or not so that's it. Quasimodo is a likeable character who is deformed and ugly and abandoned by his mother and he was adopted by the main villain called Frollo voiced by a known actor that Sam Hudson told me Tony Jay. Esmeralda voiced by Demi Moore is a beautiful gypsy who is friends with Quasimodo. Judge Claude Frollo like I mention before is an evil villain who is the priest of Notre Dame who hates gypsies and vows to destroy them. Captain Phoebus played by, you guessed it, Kevin Kline who is an handsome soldier who is Frollo's captain of the guard and he disapproves of Frollo's methods of killing so he rescues people whenever they're in danger and he falls in love with Esmeralda. And if anyone notices: the main character doesn't get the girl. Like I mention the book there is a sex scene in the original novel which is quite unusual. And the last character is the gargoyles which are not in the book. The first gargoyle named Hugo, second is Victor and the third is Laverne played by an actress who died before the film's release so that's quite a shame. Many people find the gargoyles annoying but to me I like them, I find them funny. Now the songs. Boy, I love the songs. The first one is ''The Bells of Notre Dame'', the second is ''Out There'' where Quasimodo wants to get out for one day, the third is ''Topsy Turvy'' and all random ones and the one that my friend Sam Hudson want me to sing is which he said ''one of the darkest scenes in disney history'' ''Hellfire''. Yeah, I really love this song where Frollo vows to kill Esmeralda. The comedic songthat the gargoyles been singing is ''A Guy Like You'' and last one Clopin sings is ''The Court of Miracles''. The music is just top-notch and you know it's Alan Menken who composed the music and the animation makes the visuals fantastic. So I have nothing againest the novel so I'm with both the film and the novel as it is. (Laughs) I've been watching it a million times and I still ain't bored with it. It's one of my favourites.
½ November 17, 2016
Another exceptional Disney Renaissance entry, The Hunchback of Notre Dame is so shamefully underappreciated as it is one of the darkest and most mature Disney films yet. It is a bit uneven at times, but it is so emotionally powerful, so well crafted both in story and in animation, so serious and dramatic and filled with many great musical numbers such as The Bells of Notre Dame which is wonderfully fitting to the time period, God Help the Outcasts which is emotionally resonant in its selflessness and great message and Hellfire which features one of the finest Disney villains ever in outstanding, devilish Judge Frollo.
November 11, 2016
One of Disney's darkest films, but still really good.
½ October 12, 2016
G? this film is G? when in hellfire is Arson? off-screen whipping to death, implied sex, attempted murder, and successful murder RATED G? dont get me wrong though i havent read it, i know its a very close depiction of the book, and yet this movie is what created what many come to like about disney how dark they can get with keeping it kid friendly. Disney took risks and now we want more. (i wonder if a decapitation with Disney would push it to PG?)
½ October 8, 2016
ALAN. FREAKING. MENKEN. Apart from that, the story is fantastic, the characters are fantastic (with possibly the best villain they've ever produced), and the themes are uncharacteristically dark for Disney. Yes, the gargoyles are annoying, and the movie suffers from tonal inconsistency, but these facts don't bring it down too much for me. One of my favorite Disney films and certainly my favorite of the 90's.
October 7, 2016
Wow!!! This movie is dark. It is very scary for young viewers but I teaches us the lesson of religion, sex and more.
October 1, 2016
As far as Disney movies that probably have themes too dark for families and only very loosely follow the book, this was surprisingly good and extremely beautiful.
September 25, 2016
Dark,thought provoking and beautiful this is,in my opinion,the best Disney movie to date.
½ August 31, 2016
An incredibly underrated classic of Disney's renaissance era. Simply not best suited for very young children due to dark and complex themes.
½ August 25, 2016
With 1996 "the Hunchback of Notre Dame" Disney once again proves that when it comes to splendidly animated moral tales filled with remarkable characters and great music, it's the one who does that the best. This time however, the 34th release takes on an unexpectedly dark turn, posing question whether it should be family-friendly or not. That doesn't stop "Hunchback..." from being visually impressive, poignant and mature as well as from introducing characters worthy of being part of Disney's canon, with the special note on Esmeralda, who I think deserves more recognition and judge Frollo, one of Disney's most intimidating and well-crafted villains up to this day.
With all that in mind, "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" can easily be called one of Disney's best XX century releases, with its only shortcoming being a rather weak ending. That being said, this 1996 piece of truly great art is a must-watch not only for Disney maniacs, but also for anyone seeking cinematographical fulfillment
½ August 15, 2016
The Hunchback of Notre Dame is amazing! It does very well balancing the lighthearted and dark tone. I find the to be gargoyles underrated.
August 12, 2016
For a Disney movie from the 1990s, this movie doesn't get enough credit. With a complex, well-crafted plot based on the novel by Victor Hugo, Disney maintained the mature themes and meaningful morals that embodied the original story. From ethnic prejudice to morality and even lust, the film bravely explores a number of territories that Disney has never touched. With several moments that stir emotion like no Disney movie ever has done, it's hard not to choke up as Quasimodo cries over Esmerelda's body. It's full of moving animation as well with a skillful rendering of the city of Paris, from the ornate cathedral of Notre Dame itself to the dancing flames that engulf Judge Frollo. Not only is its story refined but its musical numbers are advanced as well, with a score that sounds less "Pop-sounding" and more like the operatic and theatrical scores in musicals like Les Miserables or The Phantom of the Opera. It may not be the most kid-friendly Disney film from a content standpoint but it still offers enough thrilling visuals and friendly characters on top of its sophisticated script to justify its greatness.
½ July 31, 2016
One of Disney's best and darkest. Rarely shies away from the horrifying implications of its characters and story. Tight as can be and gorgeous.
July 27, 2016
In the 90s Disney Animation had a resurgence starting with "Little Mermaid" and ending with "Tarzan", with many now classics being released in between like "Lion King", "Beauty and the Beast" and "Little Mermaid". But in 1996 right after the beginning of the end of the Renaissance, the most peculiar film of that era arrived and while it made money and achieve some positive reviews but now it is somewhat forgotten: "The Hunchback of Notre Dame".

Quasimodo is a hunchback that lives in the bell tower of the Notre Dame. He wishes to get of home but his adoptive father Frollo won't allow it, but determined to fulfill his wish he disobeys Frollo but his naïve approach will bring upon him serious consequences.

Everyone has a film that didn't achieve big critical acclaim and/or isn't hold in high regard by most and one of those films for me is Disney's adaptation of Victor Hugo "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". This is a film that gets overshadowed by the rest of the films from the Disney Renaissance when it is better than most of them as it has likable characters, the songs are the best that Disney has ever put on film (I'm talking about the whole score), Frollo is undeniably the greatest villain in Disney history as he is scary, charming and well developed; it touches many mature themes (going from religion/sins to cultural tolerance), the art direction is extremely peculiar as it looks like a theater play on a gran scale, some of the imagery is straight out of the French Gothic era (they may scare children), the script manages to make a marvelous adaptation of a quite cruel and heavy book for a young demographic,the voice acting is on point (as most Disney films), it doesn't overstays its welcome, and it is more than fun to watch. However the biggest flaw this film has is Disney itself, as it was more than obvious that they would kiddify Victor Hugo's book by adding extremely childish comedy (particularly the inclusion of the comedic trio) thus creating enormous tonal issues as it goes from a dark and religious vibe to slapstick humor.

Disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" is an overlooked and enjoyable film of the Renaissance era of the animation company. While its comedy aims to the youngest audience, it is more mature than the average animated film and it's a pretty impressive adaptation from the Mickey Mouse company. Never again will Disney go to this dark territory so it is a diamond in the rust.
July 18, 2016
Hunchback of Notre Dame is a great animation.