The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunchback of Notre Dame Reviews

August 15, 2017
Claude Frollo is one of the best Disney villains due to the concept that he sees no evil in himself. This is a very underrated Disney movie and deserves a revival in popularity. The music is great. Quasimodo is not a typical Disney hero. The dark overtone is a different for a Disney movie.
½ August 10, 2017
The most underrated Disney movie ever.
½ August 5, 2017
The Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of the darkest Disney animated musicals. It has themes of obsession, judgement, damnation, racism, and murder. Surprisingly, this stuff kind of works because this movie has one of the most underrated Disney villains of all time. Judge Claude Frollo is so deliciously evil, and yet he believes his behavior is righteous. I also like the fact that Quasimodo has to struggle through something that is unprecedented in Disney films...not getting the girl. Despite some of the good stuff in the film, the reason that The Hunchback of Notre Dame doesn?t work is that they take all this heavy stuff and still try to make it for little kids. There are these silly gargoyles that come to life, crack jokes, and counsel Quasimodo. They do not fit the tone of this film at all, and are kind of stupid. The sad thing is that they almost work as a plot device, because for awhile it seems they are merely a figment of Quasimodo?s imagination. This would have worked perfectly and allowed the film to have the lightness and still maintain the proper tone when we realize we?ve been living those moments in Quasi?s head. But then the gargoyles start affecting things and begin coming to life for other people, and you realize they are supposed to be real characters. The songs are also a problem in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, because they are not all that memorable or catchy. The ?Hellfire? sequence is probably the only exception because it is so powerful, and it encapsulates Frollo?s entire story. I still like this movie, but it?s not one of the essential Disney animated films, and I won?t be buying a soundtrack any time soon.
½ August 3, 2017
|It's an 6,7 out of 10|
August 1, 2017
Finally, a Disney movie with characters that had a true range of emotion! The movie was dark, likeable, and well scored!
July 22, 2017
this movie is my favorite disney movie, so it has some massive problems the good stuff is so good I can't resist, first I will start of with the bad stuff, the Gargoyles are really annoying sometimes they are ok but I wished they left them out, this movies message is an ugly duckling story but they only mock people from there looks like Quazimoto, I really hate them. sometimes it isn't constant and is uneven, that's it, they are major problems but lets talk about the good stuff, The score with the choir is fucking amazing!!, I feel like I'm watching the godfather, the songs are also more epic, there is the funny song and the hero song which are done really well but then you get the Hell Fire song, that song is so epic, dark, and well done I feel like this is the greatest movie of all time, quzimoto and ezmerelde are very good together, with both the actors doing a great job, everyone else is either done ok or good except for the gargoyles, now lets talk about Frollo, he is the best villain of all disney history, he is dark he is twisted something that you wouldn't think they would put in a disney movie, to think about is everything else is dark the themes and the visuals, for me I really love this one it's my favorite disney movie by far.
½ July 17, 2017
A schmaltzy film based off of a grim book, this film is guaranteed to confuse the children. Oh, and Esmeralda knows how to pole dance.
June 25, 2017
Quoting a review on RT: "The result is a grand cartoon cathedral, teeming with gargoyles and treachery, hopeless love and tortured lust."

I like it, sums up my thoughts well so I'll use it here. :)
June 10, 2017
Such an underrated Disney film! If you haven't seen this movie yet, definitely check it out! Maybe Victor Hugo fans won't enjoy it since this film was criticized at the time of its release for not being faithful to the story it's based on, but if you want to witness an amazing movie crafted by the professionals at Disney, you have no reason not to watch this film!
June 2, 2017
Sure, the film feels out of balance thanks to a couple of weak supporting characters and a couple of undeveloped scenes and such. However, "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" still delivered its dark themes and a strong message to outshine itself from any certain disaster. Bravo Disney for being brave in releasing this movie. Its certainly different from every other kiddie movies you released.
May 29, 2017
Amazing villain and music, set back by the meh plot and comic relief gargoyles.
½ May 12, 2017
If they got rid of the Gargoyles, then it would be 5 stars
½ May 12, 2017
I like it but it is not Disney's best though enjoyable movie
May 8, 2017
Hunchback of Notre Dame is a good movie with great singing that I enjoy a lot I find this movie to be funny there where parts that made me laugh. And it's a good Disney classic for kids to watch. I know I still watch it now and again.
April 25, 2017
The classic tale of the Hunchback of Notre Dame is one I have read and seen a few times. The light hearted take that Disney provides is a lot of fun, and stays with you for a little while after you finish it. The music is fun, but not Disney's best outing. I really enjoyed the voice work that the actors provided. All in all it was a good film, but not a great one.
April 7, 2017
Incredibly grim and joyless.
March 25, 2017
The Hunchback of Notre Dame does actually feel odd to be adapted into a G-rated cartoon from Disney especially since, to ensure the G rating, it softens its source material a bit. Fortunately, the film is still actually pretty entertaining. The cast seems commited in their vocal roles, the animation is delightful as always and it does a good job of focusing on the darker elements of Victor Hugo's story. The movie focuses on mature themes such as lust, sin, damnation and genocide thus making it above average. The kids probably won't quite pick up things at first since they might be too busy laughing their asses off at a gargoyle who sounds like Jason Alexander but when they're older, I think their thoughts will be slightly more provoked. They'll sympathize with Quasimodo though regardless of age. Not exactly The Lion King but WAY better than the moderately boring Pocahontas.
March 23, 2017
If you don't like this movie, then you must not like most Disney movies ever made. The darkness in this movie just makes for a better experience as we see our main characters go through many challenges and come out stronger than before. The animation and artwork is exemplary(like most Disney movies), and I like how the colors and art change with the overall tone of the movie. The characters are vivid and lovable. The villain in the movie, Frollo, is a legitimately scary and twisted villain(one of the evilest Disney villains ever), and our main character is truly one of the most lovable main characters in a Disney movie ever. The plot and story is excellent, and the voice acting is amazing! I would definitely recommend this movie and if you don't like it, stop watching Disney.
February 23, 2017
Dark, but incredibly animated.
February 21, 2017
This Disney movie, is the MOST underrated of the 90's Disney films. It had AMAZING characters, STUNNING hand-drawn animation, one of the most infamous Disney Villains, and some of the best songs in Disney.Heck, I get chills every time I hear the opening vocals in the beginning. Definitely a Disney classic.