Last Man Standing Reviews

• May 14, 2019

just watched this movie today, its bin over 10years since i have even thought of this movie, and you can tell that max payne did take ideas from this movie and put it into the video games

• Dec 09, 2018

Awful film - a witless hotch potch of other film. When I was younger a gave up dreams of being an artist when I realised my hands were not skilled enough to transfer what was in my head onto canvas, Walter Hill should have done the same. It's almost as if someone had a bag of ideas; gangster flick, spaghetti western, shootem-up video game and tossed them up into the air and made the resulting confused mess as a joke. There is not a single redeeming thing about the film, except maybe Christopher Walken who appeared truly deranged .. then again so would I if I'd found myself in this garbage.

• Jul 15, 2018

Awesome shoot em up ! underrated movie

Awesome shoot em up ! underrated movie

• Mar 16, 2018

Powerful and intense. unusual setting and story line. more believable character than "die hard" roles.

• Feb 08, 2018

As an old school action movie, it's perfect. Guns that never run dry. Monosyllabic protagonist. Big bad guy who's not as scary as his number two. All things that make up a fun soda and popcorn movie. Willis is good as the new "Man with No Name". Christopher Walken is just as villainous as you always wanted him to be. Bruce Dern adds a little flavor as the inept sheriff. And the shootouts are great. However, for those how absolutely must compare it to the original and it's original reimagining (Yojimbo and Fistful of Dollars), no it's not as good. This doesn't have any of the sweeping landscapes and beautiful cinematography as Sergio Leon's masterful Dollars Trilogy (however it also doesn't have that irritating kid crying and yelling "Mama" either). So if you want an artful masterpiece that's slower and has less action, watch Fistful of Dollars (better than Yojimbo, in my opinion). But, if you want a straight forward action story with gangsters and Tommy guns, watch this.

• Sep 12, 2017

I love this movie! Always loved Bruce Willis, and this hard boiled western/detective/gangster movie is the perfect vehicle.

• Aug 18, 2017

Regardless of what other critics said about the movie, I liked it. I had to watch it more than once to really understand it, but once I did, I thought it was very good.

• Mar 13, 2017

When a police officer loses his partner in the line of duty he becomes emmeshed in a web of corruption that leaves him unable to know whom he can trust with his life. stars Jeff Wincott, Jillian McWhirter, Jonathan Fuller, Steve Eastin, Robert La Sardo, Jonathan Banks, Ava Fabian and Michael Greene. directed by Joseph Merhi.

• Mar 13, 2017

Not much rattles John Smith (Bruce Willis), he has the sort of unflappable self-confidence that requires not an absolute belief in one's own abilities, but the misguided thought that one could control the uncontrollable. Random gunfire, warring crime gangs and deceitful backstabbing women are not a concern to Mr Smith. Even when it seems that all three factors are conspiring to end his existence he doesn't feel that the combined threat even warrants a facial expression. Were he wearing a heart rate monitor I am sure the testers might remove it after gun battles to see if it was turned on. So when John Smith wanders casually into Jericho, Texas in his 1920s jalopy looking for whisky and a map, only to find desolation, despair and death, he sees opportunity. The rival gangs that wrestle for control of the town are lead by an Irish guy named Doyle (David Patrick Kelly) and a slick group of Italians lead by Strozzi. The precious few other citizens of Jericho include an apathetic sheriff (Bruce Dern) - who could care less as long as the violence remains within certain parameters - various hookers, a saloon owner who runs a perpetually empty saloon and an undertaker for whom business is booming. And over the coming days it'll only get better. Smith is immediately 'noticed' upon arriving in town and when the initial intimidation tactics fail he is headhunted for a new vacancy in the Doyle gang. The Strozzi gang gets wind and decides the new gun must work for them. Smith doesn't care who he works for as long as the cheque clears, and he spends a considerable amount of time alternating between siding with - and blowing away - employees on both sides in gloriously exaggerated fashion. Take one scene for example where Smith visits a local 'working girl' and midway through 'festivities' he is thrown headlong into a gun fight with several heavily armed bad guys. After pulling two pistols - I don't want to know where from -in the span of a few seconds a buck-nekkid Smith takes down his assailants in a hail of bullets, as if this isn't the oddest thing to happen that day... As the body count piles up and tensions rise it is obvious that Smith will eventually have to either choose a side or simply take both gangs down personally. For the main part the film is generally reasonably quiet, only punctuated by dialogue so dry that the actors cough dust and insanely loud gunfire from handguns that seemingly never run out of bullets. Bruce maintains the same squint and set jaw throughout the entire film. If he divided his paypacket by lines of dialogue or facial expressions then his salary would be the highest in film history this side of Holly Hunter in The Piano, who might I remind you was mute. Christopher Walken also appears as the menacingly homicidal and universally feared Hickey, the only guy in town with a machine gun and Doyle's right hand man, and as always he takes every opportunity to chew up the scenery and in this case blow a lot of it away. The finale is both preposterous and a little confusing, but then again that is to be expected where on more than one occasion one man with two guns can take down a roomful of trained gunmen before they can even raise their own weapons. Despite the simplicity and illogical elements I liked Last Man Standing. Bruce once again played the underdog only this time with little doubt that he would emerge victorious, even though he gets the living crap kicked out of him a couple times, and the well directed action sequences are in the main bloodless and suitably gymnastic, with the recipients of some of the many bullets seemingly propelled dozens of metres backwards and flipping over an over again seconds after being shot. Special mention too to the quiet, quiet, quiet, LOUD dirty blues that serves as the score here, it was both familiar but a different approach to the usual action movie backdrop. Final Rating - 6 / 10. Bruce Willis was hardly breaking new ground when he agreed to do this, but at the same time director Walter Hill managed to make what could have easily been a formulaic action film into something at least worth watching. If you liked this review (or even if you didn't) check out oneguyrambling.com for over 500 reviews and plenty more good stuff...

• Mar 13, 2017

An honest cop is caught between capturing murderous bank robbers and the dirty cops they are working with. Give PM Entertainment props for stuffing as much action as possible in this direct to video offering. The shootouts, car chases, and fight scenes are plentiful and at least measure up and best many big studio offerings with larger budgets.